Kayodic Kyle??

April 28, 2009, 12:12 p.m.

Hey guys,

I have been out of the mtn bike scene for quite awhile and I recently returned to see that kyle strait had been dropped by the majority of his sponsors. I looked into this as I was quite alarmed ( i used to idolize the guy) and i found a video of him claiming his comeback. What the hell happened to him? It looks like he has gained 40 pounds. It seems to me if he put as much effort into his mountain biking as he did into ordering fried chicken dinners, maybe he would still be on top. If he is a pro rider, he needs to be giving kids someone to look up to. I am thinking along the lines of ryder kasprick (family man, good bike rider), or geoff gulevich. If i was 13 and getting into mountain biking, and then I saw kyle strait, you can sure as shit bet I would get out of the sport purely out of fear that moutain bikig would turn me into a vince vaughn with long hair.

Thoughts?

April 28, 2009, 12:24 p.m.

Kyle is striving for a comeback - without the majority of sponsors. Red Bull is generally thought of as sponsorship for life - or so I've heard - so it must be tricky to eff that up. Obviously Oakley and Specialized were cherry sponsors as well.

So right now Kyle's fit and fast and working with a trainer. He did quite well at Sea Otter and is looking to build on that by focussing on gravity racing this year.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

April 28, 2009, 12:36 p.m.

the kid has dh skills. he's had solid results in the races he's done in the past. if he decides to focus on racing (ie, train [HTML_REMOVED] lay off the cheeseburgers), he could be a contender - at least on this continent.

April 28, 2009, 3:48 p.m.

Before you hack on the guy too bad look at what's happend in the past 3 or 4 years since you last saw him.

(I don't know Kyle and have never met him)

What I remember is that yes, is that at the age of 17 he won the Red Bull Ramapage… since then, I have seen mixed results in Slope Style comps since then mixed in with some major injuries.

Two big factors to consider:
- Age: he busted onto the scene as skinny teenager… I dunno about you, but most guys go through a growth spurt between 18-22… myself, I gained about 25 lbs of muscle in that time for me. I think he looks like a man now.

- Injuries: If I remember correctly, he's had a couple of season ending injuries and I am sure that has been a factor in the fitness level as well. (I might confusing him with Cam Zink though…)

Anyway… I think he has earned the benefit of the doubt before you hack on him.

April 28, 2009, 4:28 p.m.

Before you hack on the guy too bad look at what's happend in the past 3 or 4 years since you last saw him.

(I don't know Kyle and have never met him)

What I remember is that yes, is that at the age of 17 he won the Red Bull Ramapage… since then, I have seen mixed results in Slope Style comps since then mixed in with some major injuries.

Two big factors to consider:
- Age: he busted onto the scene as skinny teenager… I dunno about you, but most guys go through a growth spurt between 18-22… myself, I gained about 25 lbs of muscle in that time for me. I think he looks like a man now.

- Injuries: If I remember correctly, he's had a couple of season ending injuries and I am sure that has been a factor in the fitness level as well. (I might confusing him with Cam Zink though…)

Not to argue here but there is a large difference between hitting puberty and gaining the due muscle and having your jawline disapear under 2 inches of fat. I have also seeen countless pictures of him eating chicken nuggets and drinking budweiser.

When it comes to those season ending injuries, you are thinking of cam zink.

You also have to factor in the sponsor drops. Generally, if you are acheiving solid results in a sport, your sponsor will keep you on despite injuries(of which I do not think he had). The last thing anyone needs ont heir team is a guy who eats too many chicken nuggets and has a bad attitude and I am thinkign that was what he became.

I am glad to hear he is in full training mode because we would would not want for him to turn into the cory feldman of mountain biking

April 28, 2009, 4:34 p.m.

You also have to factor in the sponsor drops. Generally, if you are acheiving solid results in a sport, your sponsor will keep you on despite injuries(of which I do not think he had).

How does one achieve solid results despite injury?

April 28, 2009, 5:02 p.m.

How does one achieve solid results despite injury?

The person above me remarked that strait had pretty solid results and then remarked that he thought strait had suffered some injuries. My point was that if strait had been consistently achieving solid results and then were to get injured, it was likely that his sponsors would not drop him. I thought that readers, through using their brains, would piece together that I did not mean he was getting both solid results and injuries at the same time.

April 28, 2009, 8:59 p.m.

Was that a pre-emptive strike? I don't think anyone was hacking on him before your post.

One of the challenges for Kyle I would imagine was having amazing results when he was very young and then trying to live up to that later on without having to struggle to gain sponsors and really work for it (because it obviously came quite naturally to him when he was a kid) as an adult.

I think this would be a very tough situation for most folks. I'm sure I would have effed it up much worse than he has. It would be great to see him recover and learn a few things in the process. Who doesn't like the story arc of the washed up athlete/actor/boxer who comes back to do some impressive damage later on? Andre Agassiz, Mickey Rourke, George Foreman, James Braddock (Cinderella Man) and John Travolta (although he seems to have blown his second chance) are a few that come to mind.

BTW - Kayodic Kyle = worst nickname in the history of nicknames imho. To his credit it seemed like he dropped it fairly early on.

April 28, 2009, 9:02 p.m.

I am glad to hear he is in full training mode because we would would not want for him to turn into the cory feldman of mountain biking

would turn me into a vince vaughn with long hair.

:lol:

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

April 29, 2009, 10:04 a.m.

Was that a pre-emptive strike? I don't think anyone was hacking on him before your post.

I dunno what it was… I just don't think I'm that good at this whole arguing on the internet thing. :damn:

If it's beer fat he has gained, and his athleticism hasn't overcome that, then I think it is a statement. Not every teenage star carries it over into adulthood.

April 29, 2009, 10:13 a.m.

are you getting information for a proper "sensus"?

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

April 29, 2009, 11:17 a.m.

and he's the Val Kilmer of mountain biking, not Cory Feldman.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin