%$!@# JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T RIDE IT DOESN'T MEAN ITS CLOSED!!!

July 9, 2014, 10:18 a.m.

so with all these people expressing great memories about their first time on the shore and getting absolutely owned by the trails yet having an absolutely awesome time why are we rushing to make so many things easier and more beginner friendly?

semi serious observation with a side serving of esarc and a dash of embellishment

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 9, 2014, 10:26 a.m.

So with all these people expressing great memories about their first time on the shore and getting absolutely owned by the trails yet having an absolutely awesome time why are we rushing to make so many things easier and more beginner friendly?

I am curious to hear the answer to this.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 9, 2014, 10:35 a.m.

so with all these people expressing great memories about their first time on the shore and getting absolutely owned by the trails yet having an absolutely awesome time why are we rushing to make so many things easier and more beginner friendly?

Because for all of us nutters who survived and enjoyed it, there are a whole bunch of people who didn't enjoy it.

Nothing wrong with making a few trails easier for variety and easier progression.

July 9, 2014, 10:38 a.m.

Because for all of us nutters who survived and enjoyed it, there are a whole bunch of people who didn't enjoy it.

Nothing wrong with making a few trails easier for variety and easier progression.

good answer and in my mind anyway that "nutter" factor is what gave the shore it's mystique.

re a few easier trails, it may surprise a lot of people to know i'm on board with that and have been pretty much since i got into riding back at the turn of the century.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 9, 2014, 10:40 a.m.

it may surprise a lot of people to know i'm on board with that and have been pretty much since i got into riding back at the turn of the century.

Not saying you weren't on board with that. Just answering your (maybe rhetorical) question ;)

July 9, 2014, 10:47 a.m.

Not saying you weren't on board with that. Just answering your (maybe rhetorical) question ;)

oh for sure, that wasn't directed at you per sey. i just know there seems to be this impression amongst some people that i want every trail to resemble a rubble strewn bombed out creekbed.

the question wasn't rhetorical, but a genuine curiosity. i just know that with it coming from me some people will say "oh there goes that asshole spewcro again."

Ellen Langer

July 9, 2014, 12:53 p.m.

I really miss the adventure times…..
Back when there wasn't a rating system (or signs visible at trailhead)
Its was part of the adventure and draw to Mountain biking on the shore. find a trail you heard about , or stumbled upon and go try to ride it.
Yes was over my head many times , yes i got hurt lots . Yes i got better as i saw it as challenge to ride .

Just like on the ski hills . The rating system is a generalized, broad spectrum based thing .

People should really take responsibility for themselves!

You take your bike up the side of a goddamned mountain , and then complain that you are over your head, and or underwhelmed bu the challenge in front of you. HTFU , STFU .

How did we ever get to this point ?

On second thought . Maybe we should pad all the trees and rocks on the green trails.
And add hidden boobie traps and punji sticks to our "black " trails .

July 9, 2014, 1:43 p.m.

I like that ski hill example, that is a good example.

July 9, 2014, 7:07 p.m.

The phrase "how the fuck could anyone possibly ride this shit?" comes to mind. Good times.

been there.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

July 9, 2014, 7:28 p.m.

I just took two complete beginners to the bike park. One was surprised at how hard Easy Does It was, and the other not so much. Still, the other was surprised at the entrance to B-Line.

In my limited sample set, I think our group here is very far removed from absolute beginners. Furthermore, I am so not a good teacher at mountain biking.

July 9, 2014, 7:35 p.m.

I just took two complete beginners to the bike park. One was surprised at how hard Easy Does It was, and the other not so much. Still, the other was surprised at the entrance to B-Line.

In my limited sample set, I think our group here is very far removed from absolute beginners. Furthermore, I am so not a good teacher at mountain biking.

What I want to know is how some tourist from, say, England (there are others too) seems to show up at the WBP on a 1 week holiday and by the end of his first day is shredding double-black trails on a rented bike. What/where do they practice at home, if at all? Do they have exposure to some stuff that is less common in other places, like say BMX or Moto? People visiting from, say, Ontario or Ohio etc don't seem to have that kind of aptitude. Its obvious that something exists there, as evidenced by Steve Pete, the Athertons, Danny Hart etc.

July 9, 2014, 7:36 p.m.

The phrase "how the fuck could anyone possibly ride this shit?" comes to mind. Good times.

Funny. This is actually why espresso is so dear to me. My first shore ride, we hike up espresso to on our way up to 7th. I remember pushing my bike up the steeps, thinking it was the silliest thing I'd ever seen. There was no way anybody could ride that on a bike. Imagine what I thought when I saw the espresso smooth…that trail became my goal. One of the most satisfying moments of my life was the first time I hit the espresso smooth, and I still believe the steeps are the most fun you can have with your pants on.

"How the fuck could anybody possibly ride this shit?" serves as a great reminder of why I started riding and more importantly, why I kept riding.

There's no place like fromme

July 9, 2014, 9:38 p.m.

What I want to know is how some tourist from, say, England (there are others too) seems to show up at the WBP on a 1 week holiday and by the end of his first day is shredding double-black trails on a rented bike. What/where do they practice at home, if at all? Do they have exposure to some stuff that is less common in other places, like say BMX or Moto? People visiting from, say, Ontario or Ohio etc don't seem to have that kind of aptitude. Its obvious that something exists there, as evidenced by Steve Pete, the Athertons, Danny Hart etc.

As a recent import from scotland the trails here have a similar technical difficulty but a far different "style" to them. I generally find the trails faster and less steep than back home and with less slick roots (seymour is a bit of an exception to this rule on some trails) and a lot drier! With the bike park you just need to remember they aren't actually trying to kill you with the features and all are definitely ride-able!

July 9, 2014, 10:50 p.m.

As a recent import from scotland the trails here have a similar technical difficulty but a far different "style" to them. I generally find the trails faster and less steep than back home and with less slick roots (seymour is a bit of an exception to this rule on some trails) and a lot drier! With the bike park you just need to remember they aren't actually trying to kill you with the features and all are definitely ride-able!

Its because we are the BEST

Its also due to the fact there are less trails in anyone given area. I practiced jumping on a small hill that had 5 runs down it. All littered with different kind of jumps. I'd spend the whole day there doing different lines, pushing back up and trying again until I got it dialled (I think they used to call it Freeride ;) )

Its the same with technical tracks, say for instance in Wales. A small mountain with 3 runs max. All technical but you would spend the whole day there practising until you were getting down all of the trail safely.

The difference on the NS its all stop/start on a lot of the trails. You lose elevation quickly so it becomes a pain to ride a section again. So when you get to it next time you are back at square one again.

Whistler allows you to hit trails as much as you want in a single day…

July 9, 2014, 10:58 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/5173/

treezz
wow you are a ass