%$!@# JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T RIDE IT DOESN'T MEAN ITS CLOSED!!!

July 8, 2014, 4:45 p.m.

Should call it "not in my backgnard".

Pastor of Muppets

July 8, 2014, 5:19 p.m.

Next time you see Digger down there, mention a name change, even to the new entry, and see what his reaction is. Seriously ;)

July 8, 2014, 6:21 p.m.

It is dangerous. A new rider rides Expresso and thinks "oh, that's not too bad, maybe I'll try Dales which is also a black or even Pipeline which is only a blue/black(!)".

This actually happened on the same ride. On the climb myself and steph ran into two guys in half shells and entry lvl bikes. They were looking for Expresso, and I was happy to show them the way. At the trail head they opted to follow us down the original entrance (Steph is a beginner but a fast learner and I push her pretty hard). The two boys ended up walking the entire entrance. Turns out they had both only ridden BBY MTN up until that point. From there I left them behind but would wait at each crossing (old/new) to ensure they were doing ok. Judging by the speed they rode, and sections they walked I would put one at strong beginner and the other at low lvl intermediate.

By the bottom they were amped, and ready to come back another day to try another trail. The trail in question? Ladies….. I did my best to politely discourage that… not easy though, how do you tell them they are not good enough for a black without looking like an ass after they just rode a black?

July 8, 2014, 7:31 p.m.

I won't even look at any trail that's rated higher than a purple spiral.

July 8, 2014, 8:44 p.m.

By the bottom they were amped, and ready to come back another day to try another trail. The trail in question? Ladies….. I did my best to politely discourage that… not easy though, how do you tell them they are not good enough for a black without looking like an ass after they just rode a black?

Why the need to do that at all? They were amped, so let em keep exploring their boundaries.

We've all ridden and tried trails that we weren't ready for, that we have had no idea what they were about and were ill equipped to handle. These guys are just going through that same process. I look back fondly at those multi-hour hike/rides, let them do the same.

July 8, 2014, 8:51 p.m.

Why the need to do that at all? They were amped, so let em keep exploring their boundaries.

We've all ridden and tried trails that we weren't ready for, that we have had no idea what they were about and were ill equipped to handle. These guys are just going through that same process. I look back fondly at those multi-hour hike/rides, let them do the same.

Yup, I remember my first run down Ladies after riding the Watershed for a year and Seymour only twice. You never get that first run when you are way out of your element out of your head

July 8, 2014, 8:56 p.m.

Yup, I remember my first run down Ladies after riding the Watershed for a year and Seymour only twice. You never get that first run when you are way out of your element out of your head

For sure.

And I guarantee that their current entry level bikes are better than the 1997 Giant hardtail with 1.5 incredible inches (that's what she said) of elastomer plushness and canti powered slowing radness I had my First Ladies ride on (also with a half lid since the Giro switchblade hadn't yet been invented).

July 8, 2014, 9:43 p.m.

I look back fondly at those multi-hour hike/rides, let them do the same.

The phrase "how the fuck could anyone possibly ride this shit?" comes to mind. Good times.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 8, 2014, 10:04 p.m.

lol.

I remember riding GMG the first time and having my bike run me over twice….

The ratings are fair I think, new expresso is't that hard if you ride the shore. Yes, pipeline is easier, but most people are not shore riders and the stuff is damn scary.

Bobsled, Floppy Bunny, King of the Shore etc, are all easy, but way harder than novice's or intermediate riders are used to if they don't ride N. Van trails.

I recently took a former Ontario Cup champ down some technical lines and he ate it.

Reducing the ratings would encourage more people to get in over their heads and I think that would ultimately cause more problems for the rest of us who have developed the skills necessary to consider trails like that easy.

July 8, 2014, 11:11 p.m.

Perhaps "discouraged" is the wrong word. I directed them to more appropriate trails and offered to take them down ladies if they really wanted to do it.

July 9, 2014, 8:55 a.m.

July 9, 2014, 9:17 a.m.

I considered bobsled one of the easiest trails I could take someone down, but it was way beyond what a beginners skill level is at.

I really don't think Fromme is the place to take a true beginner, at least not if you want them to enjoy themselves and stick with the sport. Waaaaaay better options elsewhere

My first experience with the shore was Upper Oilcan in the rain. Had been riding/racing back east for almost 7-8 years at the point and still absolutely got owned ;)

July 9, 2014, 9:40 a.m.

For sure.

And I guarantee that their current entry level bikes are better than the 1997 Giant hardtail with 1.5 incredible inches (that's what she said) of elastomer plushness and canti powered slowing radness I had my First Ladies ride on (also with a half lid since the Giro switchblade hadn't yet been invented).

I remember my first year riding in 93 on a fully rigid Kona Explosive (big front tire was your suspension) being dragged around the Shore by guy's with at least 3-4 yrs experience on me. We get to the top of Ladies and I said finally an easy trail called "Ladies only" that I can rip down…..gong show / walk.

sorry for the derail….

July 9, 2014, 9:48 a.m.

Next time you see Digger down there, mention a name change, even to the new entry, and see what his reaction is. Seriously ;)

This, seriously.

July 9, 2014, 9:55 a.m.

sorry for the derail….

This derail makes for a better thread.