%$!@# JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T RIDE IT DOESN'T MEAN ITS CLOSED!!!

July 8, 2014, 9:41 a.m.

Ok ya I'm pissed off. I try to be as diplomatic about the whole "dumbing down of the shore" thing as I can. However this has now happened TWICE to me because some do gooder idiot blocking off a section of trail they feel is to hard and shouldn't be ridden.

1st time was on Neds after the gap was changed, some ass hat put logs and sticks all over the launch causing me to go flying into the bush at speed… it was fun… so I tried it again on Fromme!

This past week it happened on Expresso. I took a beginner up to ride the new line while I took the ladders.. and once again some ass hat put a log across the old trail in area that is clearly NOT DECOMMISSIONED causing me to swerve and smack a tree! This time it wasn't as fun…

Why is this happening? It's happening because the trail ratings, and the trails themselves are no longer in par with each other. We have trails rated black which are clearly not black, allowing lesser skilled rider to ride them who are afraid of ladders, drops, gaps etc. So they see it.. they go "oh that must be wrong" and in their mind are doing good by blocking it off so other beginner riders don't accidentally go down the wrong path.

I'm sorry but this needs to be addressed, this IS an issue. I look well ahead when I am riding, and if its a stunt that's questionable I always scope it out. However I should not have to scope every part of a trail in fear some trail bike rider blocking off things they are unable to ride. So at speed when you are expecting to go in a certain direction.. it can be to late to correct last min when an unexpected block appears. If trails are being drastically changed the rating MUST be changed as well, if a trail has two lines it needs either a Dual rating or the new line should have a new name. Stunts should be labeled so those who don't do them, realize they are not mistakes.

Before the inevitible onslaught of "STFU VOCAL MINORITY! YOU'RE WRONG" starts… I'm not bashing the trail work! The new expresso is very nice… for some… just not me.

July 8, 2014, 9:57 a.m.

It may have been a do-gooder idiot like you indicate;

It could also have been just an idiot.

Since it happened on Espresso where you indicated it is unlikely a hiker.

They could be related, or not. It could be a pissed off MTN biker too. They are known to exist.

Anyone else come across, literally, something like this recently in on another trail?

Talk less, Say More.

July 8, 2014, 10:06 a.m.

We have trails rated black which are clearly not black, allowing lesser skilled rider to ride them who are afraid of ladders, drops, gaps etc.

It is dangerous. A new rider rides Expresso and thinks "oh, that's not too bad, maybe I'll try Dales which is also a black or even Pipeline which is only a blue/black(!)".

July 8, 2014, 10:07 a.m.

it could've been a hiker as well, maybe it's just someone who doesn't know better

July 8, 2014, 10:08 a.m.

I'm sorry but this needs to be addressed, this IS an issue. If trails are being drastically changed the rating MUST be changed as well, if a trail has two lines it needs either a Dual rating or the new line should have a new name. Stunts should be labeled so those who don't do them, realize they are not mistakes.

Agreed. The two lines should be clearly marked or be very obvious (as on Natural High).

July 8, 2014, 10:58 a.m.

trees do fall, too, eh…

July 8, 2014, 11:29 a.m.

trees do fall, too, eh…

Ya, but trail fairies are supposed to remove them before they hit the ground.

July 8, 2014, 12:55 p.m.

new expresso should be renamed and given a big ol green circle

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 8, 2014, 2 p.m.

new expresso should be renamed and given a big ol green circle

"Non-fat, chai, skinny latte with extra foam" is still not a green trail no matter what all the advanced riders say. There are some green sections, mainly blue with a couple of black features.

July 8, 2014, 2:14 p.m.

what colour sign for "fun"

July 8, 2014, 2:30 p.m.

what colour sign for "fun"

Rainbow unicorn

July 8, 2014, 2:51 p.m.

"Non-fat, chai, skinny latte with extra foam" is still not a green trail no matter what all the advanced riders say. There are some green sections, mainly blue with a couple of black features.

Yes. Fishermans is a green :)

July 8, 2014, 3:26 p.m.

I agree with this. I've tried to take three people on separate occasions riding on so called easy trails (bobsled which I think is green blue). They all had issues coming down it, 2 crashed one with a sprained ankle. Though I admit I'm a terrible teacher.

I considered bobsled one of the easiest trails I could take someone down, but it was way beyond what a beginners skill level is at.

The only real green trails I can think of are at the delta watershed.

Mountain biking might benefit from a rating system like climbing has which ranges from walking on flat ground to insane. The climbing community keep adding numbers to the end of the scale as people push what is possible.

Additionally, I think the fitness level required to get to the trailhead should also be considered. Most novices cannot pedal a bike up a hill for extended periods. To get to espresso is about 4km, which is a lot for some people. I remember walking when I started out.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

July 8, 2014, 4:14 p.m.

Mountain biking is hard. I think that might be why we do it. Getting your butt kicked by the trail is part of the game and I don't know why anyone would try to take that out of the equation (actually I do know why,the fear of liability…Thx land managers!)

Pastor of Muppets

July 8, 2014, 4:29 p.m.

That. Name. Is. Awesome.

Can this be a thing? While I enjoy new expresso as much as everybody else, there's no point in pretending it's the same trail or that it's particularly difficult. It's a blue with two optional black features, in my opinion There's nothing wrong with that, but let's call it what it is. It's pretty misleading to call espresso black and pipeline blue/black, when pipeline is a considerably more difficult trail…

Seriously, not sure if you're joking, but I love that name.

There's no place like fromme