JH Bikes Purchased

Oct. 31, 2012, 9:32 a.m.

It will be interesting to see how they hold MSRP.

It everything is always on sale I feel for the other shops. If they hold strong on price it's not under cutting them…just pulling more margin.

Now if all of a sudden there was a JH web store opened and really competing on price with the big web players then local dealers will really have to worry.

Speaking as a consumer, I'm not sure any of the above is a bad thing? Vancouver can't support a million tiny shops forever. They can't hold much inventory so never have what you want, and by the time they order stuff in, a week has passed due to Norco / Lambert not offering free shipping until the order is several hundred dollars. Might as well order from CRC! I'm no hard capitalist but bike store shopping over here is like stepping back into the dark ages.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 31, 2012, 9:44 a.m.

Speaking as a consumer

My point was towards the affect on the other LBS's and distributors not the consumer.

Oct. 31, 2012, 9:47 a.m.

I'll get dumped on for this, but what I saw was a poorly run store. Norco probably was owed a ton of cash and simply stepped in and took the store to collect. Maybe Norco decided to keep the store open as an opportunity to open a Norco outlet kind of thing. There are Nike stores, Specialized stores and a Giant store here too.

I used to ride for Robson Cycles and know what happened there. They closed when Norco just could not support them any longer. Norco was owed too much money and had to cut their losses and the shop went into receivership with Norco pushing them there. Next thing you know Norco seem to own BLT lights too. Don Whittaker started Robson Cycles with a partner whose name I can't remember. They started BLT Lights and Don's B brother Keith then was running the stores. I susp[ect that Don and his partner still owned the store or had an interest and had to give up BLT to pay the debt.

Might be something similar here?

Willie and John are good people. I think that they did have good service too. But I also think that they had poor business sense. They only lasted as long as they did because of their service.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 31, 2012, 9:59 a.m.

My point was towards the affect on the other LBS's and distributors not the consumer.

Yep I know. LBS's need consumers though and they won't have them if this status quo continues forever. There are probably around 10 bike shops within 30 minute walk from where I live and I can't be bothered to go in any of them. I certainly can't be bothered to frequent one store for months and pay MSRP in order to become a 'bro' so I can get a better deal. It's not 1990 any more.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 31, 2012, 12:27 p.m.

I'll get dumped on for this, but what I saw was a poorly run store. Norco probably was owed a ton of cash and simply stepped in and took the store to collect. Maybe Norco decided to keep the store open as an opportunity to open a Norco outlet kind of thing. There are Nike stores, Specialized stores and a Giant store here too.

I used to ride for Robson Cycles and know what happened there. They closed when Norco just could not support them any longer. Norco was owed too much money and had to cut their losses and the shop went into receivership with Norco pushing them there. Next thing you know Norco seem to own BLT lights too. Don Whittaker started Robson Cycles with a partner whose name I can't remember. They started BLT Lights and Don's B brother Keith then was running the stores. I susp[ect that Don and his partner still owned the store or had an interest and had to give up BLT to pay the debt.

Might be something similar here?

Willie and John are good people. I think that they did have good service too. But I also think that they had poor business sense. They only lasted as long as they did because of their service.

Exactly the way that I saw and see it.

www.steedcycles.com

Oct. 31, 2012, 1:20 p.m.

I don't give a poop either way. I'm going to Canadian Tire to get me a 29er.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 31, 2012, 1:51 p.m.

bike store shopping over here is like stepping back into the dark ages.

so true. The multi-tiered distribution system seems antiquated and bloated.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 31, 2012, 5:04 p.m.

Not knowing the details of JH/Norco, and assuming that Norco goes ahead as a branded store, this is not at all unusual. Factory stores [HTML_REMOVED] specialty retailers often co-exist…[HTML_REMOVED] done right, they compliment each other very well.

It's done in every other market.

Sony, Patagonia, Levi's, Chanel, etc..

Nov. 5, 2012, 12:12 p.m.

Oldfart, where are the Specialized and Giant stores?

WTF, Over?

Nov. 5, 2012, 1:50 p.m.

Trek Store just outside of Victoria, Giant Store/Diff Bikes on 4th Ave and the Specialized stores are in the US.

I don't like shopping at the above stores. Some amount of variety is nice.

www.steedcycles.com

Nov. 5, 2012, 2:15 p.m.

Giant Store/Diff Bikes on 4th Ave

Is this store still open? Went by there today at lunch and everything was locked up.

Nov. 5, 2012, 6:21 p.m.

Is this store still open? Went by there today at lunch and everything was locked up.

It's shut on Mondays in the winter.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 6, 2012, 2:31 a.m.

I drive from port coquitlam all the way to north shore bike shop because of the amazing people there and the awesome selection of parts. Cove bike shop is awesome aswell. Those two places have such a cool vibe.
If they ever close im sticking with online.

biggles604 your comment is retarded. Nsbs and coves success has everythin to do with their customer service.

superheros
I like bikes

Nov. 6, 2012, 5:50 a.m.

I drive from port coquitlam all the way to north shore bike shop because of the amazing people there and the awesome selection of parts. Cove bike shop is awesome aswell. Those two places have such a cool vibe.
If they ever close im sticking with online.

biggles604 your comment is retarded. Nsbs and coves success has everythin to do with their customer service.

Cant speak for these shops as the closest i have ever been to them is colorado but thats the same thing with my favorite shop…its all about the service…

Nov. 6, 2012, 6:50 a.m.

As noted earlier in thread, definitely open, just on winter hours there now and closed Mondays.

Also to clarify some other comments, this store is 100% Different Bikes owned. Giant is a partner in marketing and merchandising and we only stock Giant bikes there, but they do not have an ownership stake of any kind.

DB team

www.differentbikes.ca
North Vancouver | West Vancouver | Vancouver Broadway |