It's Bear-y time on Mt Seymour

June 20, 2016, 6:49 p.m.

The berries are out along the power line trail and so are the bears (or at least one).

I was heading from the top of Sir Martin this evening towards the power line trail when a somewhat agitated hiker / trail runner came jogging toward me from the direction of the power line looking over his shoulder and saying "there's a bear". I thanked him and continued on my way (I was heading for Ned's) and saw what appeared to be a very healthy sized black bear with brown and even reddish markings eating berries on the trail just before the intersection with the power line trail.

Once I saw it was eating, we (the runner had turned around and followed me) stopped and gave it lots of space but managed to get it moving in the other direction from us with progressively more noise so we could carry on. A dog walker with two large dogs was coming up the power line trail and the dogs chased the bear further up the power line trail towards the Corkscrew / Incline intersection. Fortunately the bear retreated (as they normally do) rather than taking a stand.

I saw a ton more ripe berries along the power line 'hike a bike' back up from the Greenland exit of Ned's to the start of Forever After so keep your eyes peeled for continued bear presence over the next few weeks in this area.

June 21, 2016, 4:30 p.m.

Thanks for the heads up.

Btw, how long does the the "hike a bike" route take to push up powerlines to the start of Forever After? I assume it's not that long? ~20 minutes??

June 21, 2016, 5:02 p.m.

They like the cypress powerline too, ran into mamma and two cubs there twice recently (just above the transformer station).

June 21, 2016, 5:03 p.m.

Thanks for the heads up.

Btw, how long does the the "hike a bike" route take to push up powerlines to the start of Forever After? I assume it's not that long? ~20 minutes??

It's about 15-20 mins Hyannis/Powerline intersection. Pretty unpleasant push, but sometimes when strapped for time it's a good way to have a quick lap.

June 22, 2016, 9:33 a.m.

They like the cypress powerline too, ran into mamma and two cubs there twice recently (just above the transformer station).

When they have cubs, then I get scared…I mean cautious:damn:

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm trying to get a Strava KOM on the 'hike a bike' so I try to get under 10 minutes but mostly I'm under 15. ;) I'm an ENDURO 'hike a biker':lol:

It does make a nice fast loop of High School Climb, GSM, Ned's, Hike a Bike, Forever After and High School League. That's one of my favorite quick after work loops on Seymour right now, although Ned's is a bit of an acquired taste.

June 22, 2016, 9:48 a.m.

Bear and her two cubs spotted just east of the CBC entrance last night.

June 22, 2016, 2:06 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/bear-car-protein-bars-1.3647881

Keep your powerbars at home, not in the car.

June 22, 2016, 8:04 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/bear-car-protein-bars-1.3647881

Keep your powerbars at home, not in the car.

Hahahaha pwned

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40