Is anyone able to sell their used bikes these days?

March 29, 2023, 3:35 p.m.

I’m selling mine but I haven’t had a nibble yet. I see other similar bikes where the price is far more than what I’m asking for mine or lesser bikes for the same or more. Gonna be some good deals on used I suppose.

March 29, 2023, 8:46 p.m.

Yeah seems slower than usual. I've had a frame up for about a month for what I think is a great price but no success yet. Selling stuff can be random though. Just takes one buyer.

March 29, 2023, 10:18 p.m.

The used market is now a buyers market. There is too much supply of new bikes (as seen from the sales from many manufacturers), so the used market is going to be down for awhile.

March 30, 2023, 7:06 a.m.

I was in conversation to buy a NIB Ohlins RXF36 for $1400 (asking $1600). Yesterday I bought the same fork from Jenson for $850USD shipped. There will be a lot of deals on new. Tough time to be selling used stuff. If it comes down to saving a few bucks or spending more to get the thing you really really want that has a much lower likelihood of you flipping it soon, buy the better thing.

March 30, 2023, 7:11 a.m.

Used bike pricing guide:

1) Imagine the number you would have gotten at the height of the pandemic bike rush. Nice.

2) Cut it in half.

3) Subtract $50 just because.

4) Discount it 20% for necessary repairs and upgrades. 

5) Sold. 

———

Joking aside, as someone who turns wrenches locally, this past weekend was the first one in ‘23 that felt “busy” energy wise so I think it’s safe to say that for the vast majority of riders the season just arrived. 

Pricing/selling wise I’d restart your used bike selling clock to now and count from here before lowering from the price you think is fair.

"Everything serious is always [Full Suspension]" - Jerry Willows

#JerryWillowsHatesMyBike

March 30, 2023, 7:43 a.m.

I ran into this 2 months ago.  I listed my Ripmo AF at what I believed was a decent price.  Nice parts, no repairs needed other than a dent in the rear rim (brakes bled, almost new Zeb fork, re-greased all bushings/repacked bearings, new cables on dropper/derailleur, etc). No interest, even dropping it down to $1400.  No dice. 

Decided to keep it instead of essentially giving it away.

March 30, 2023, 7:53 a.m.

My only recent experience is selling my old 26" Aurum DH frame (2014) on Pinkbike. I always sell everything for what I think is a very fair price, and always on Pinkbike, but I figured it would take forever for the right person to come along. I listed it for $350 frame-only (payed $600 in 2018 as new-old-stock), but I also offered a bunch of parts as optional add-ons. 

I had bites within 2 days, and some guy from Quesnel bought it for their son while they were in town for a hockey tournament. $600 for the frame, Fox RC, super old 170 Saint Cranks, an I-Beam post/saddle that I'll never (EVER) use, and 2 new 26" Schwalbe DH tires. I was pretty stoked. 

If you're selling stuff that's similar to all the new, currently/soon on blow-out stuff, it's probably a harder climate to sell in. The 27.5 Aurum I replaced the above bike with was purchased because of the cost/benefit of frame upgrade with a new shock. I love DVO stuff, and found Jade rear shocks for $350 from Bike.de (tax-in and delivered). Then found a 2016 27.5 Aurum with a bunch of parts attached to sell. Easy decision, when comparing purchase cost to a Fox RC rebuild in a year and the value re-coup selling the old frame. I bought two of those shocks, they were such a good deal (1 for Aurum, 1 for Ripmo), so that's a good example of cheap new gear these days.

March 30, 2023, 8:27 a.m.

Posted by: kavurider

I ran into this 2 months ago.  I listed my Ripmo AF at what I believed was a decent price.  Nice parts, no repairs needed other than a dent in the rear rim (brakes bled, almost new Zeb fork, re-greased all bushings/repacked bearings, new cables on dropper/derailleur, etc). No interest, even dropping it down to $1400.  No dice. 

That's a good way to think of all new purchases moving forward: fewer experiments since you aren't assured a seller's market to get rid of it. Buy the thing most likely to do the job long term even if it costs a little more up front.

March 30, 2023, 8:30 a.m.

Good point on time of year Andrew, as bike nerds I think we see any day of the year as a potential new bike day, where as with the general masses it's more seasonal than that. 

We're just coming into bike buying season for "normal" people.

March 30, 2023, 8:44 a.m.

Posted by: kavurider

Keep in mind that with an 8.5x2.5 shock and 2mm offset bushing, those bikes work well in 160+mm mode. You've already got the Zeb. I bought a DVO Jade and the bushing for around $380 CAD shipped.

March 30, 2023, 8:45 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Good point on time of year Andrew, as bike nerds I think we see any day of the year as a potential new bike day, where as with the general masses it's more seasonal than that. 

We're just coming into bike buying season for "normal" people.

Absolutely. I usually do a yearly purge, and try to list my stuff by early April at the latest.

March 30, 2023, 8:59 a.m.

Yeah I think bike buying season has not really started. We can’t ride in Whistler yet but it’s coming soon. When I set my price I used bicycle blue book and went a little lower. Then dropped it lower still after a couple weeks of no interest. I often sell stuff following my personal equation. Used a year = 50% of original full price. Then another 50% that per year of use adjusted up or down with condition or upgrades etc. and I will always negotiate. 

My sense is that it is certainly a buyers market what with the bike sales evident now. But my lbs thought that prices on new were about to see an increase. That’s what she was hearing from her major bike brand. Who knows.

March 30, 2023, 9:29 a.m.

I sold my heckler ebike for about 75% of what I bought it for.

Was pretty happy to have it gone at that price.

Last edited by: Putty on March 30, 2023, 9:29 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 30, 2023, 2:05 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Keep in mind that with an 8.5x2.5 shock and 2mm offset bushing, those bikes work well in 160+mm mode. You've already got the Zeb. I bought a DVO Jade and the bushing for around $380 CAD shipped.

Yeah, I have thought about going down that route with it.  I honestly don't ride it that much anymore (or any bike really), been on my hardtail mostly. 

I am just surprised.  But I got it cheap and used in the first place, so that's fine.

April 2, 2023, 6:53 a.m.

I put up my GF's HT frame in Jan and got zero bites for a long time. Told her she might have to drop price to a painful level or wait until spring and try again. I left ad up on PB and FB. Eventually got two folks interested and one ended up doing a local pick up at asking price. It was ~4 years old with normal wear and tear. Priced it at 60% of the all in cost for a new frame from same company. I figured that was the max I could reasonably get. I was happy that it did sell for that.

I assume folks here are already doing this, but maxing out the high res quality photos with lots of details helps as does a really well written ad text.

Last edited by: Vikb on April 2, 2023, 7:23 a.m., edited 1 time in total.