Interview with a Bike Thief

Aug. 5, 2011, 9:10 p.m.

No, but apparently you do, seeing as how you can't even figure out a simple connect-the-dots puzzle.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 5, 2011, 9:19 p.m.

Decriminalization of drugs will not address the thieving nature of scum that rip bikes. Do you live in bubble? WTF?

Do you think bike thefts would increase if we raised cigarette prices 5,000%?

Aug. 5, 2011, 10:59 p.m.

The war on drugs was lost long ago - but billions more are poured into the fight every year.

depends on what you think victory looks like cam: red states where republicans cruise to office on "tough on crime" tickets; a prison workforce generating billions in profits of private companies; a thriving us military industrial complex… those are all wins for somebody

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 5, 2011, 11:10 p.m.

Decriminalization of drugs will not address the thieving nature of scum that rip bikes. Do you live in bubble? WTF?

I wonder how many bikes are stolen by alcoholics …

Aug. 5, 2011, 11:49 p.m.

I wonder how many bikes are stolen by alcoholics …

Well it happens, but for different reasons. They also get returned with a little sorry note and some cash for the inconvience…..lol

Aug. 6, 2011, 1:21 a.m.

No, but apparently you do, seeing as how you can't even figure out a simple connect-the-dots puzzle.

Kn.

Correlation does not equal causation…

Aug. 6, 2011, 8:13 a.m.

Correlation does not equal causation…

Correlation does, however, put on lipstick, get dressed up all sexy-like, flash some boob and generally send out the mating call to causation.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 6, 2011, 8:58 a.m.

Bikes are an easy target. Also there appears to be a strong market for hot bike parts. Don't think crack heads are to blame on that one

Easier to steal Joe commuters Ride than copper wire from hydro!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 6, 2011, 9:05 a.m.

Bikes are an easy target. Also there appears to be a strong market for hot bike parts. Don't think crack heads are to blame on that one

Easier to steal Joe commuters Ride than copper wire from hydro!

No, but crackheads are the easiest ones to get to do the dirty work.

Aug. 6, 2011, 10:37 a.m.

Desperate people and easy money.

As long as there is a supply of both theft will continue. Since removing the problem of desperate people is way hard you might as well just ensure your bike isn't easy money.

Aug. 6, 2011, 2:36 p.m.

Kn.

Funny guy. I actually think I and anyone else should be able to use whatever drugs we like. However I fail to see (connect-the-dots) how it being legal would change how the meth-head would feel about stealing my bike for another hit. Thieving junkies are still thieving junkies - Please explain your liberal utopia where junkies just need a cuddle.

BTW These drugs will never be legal so we'll never no if you're right or wrong - Now if the drugs were free… Drugs aren't inherently good or bad, like anything else, I suppose the issue is with the operator. My, and most peoples issue with drugs being criminal is the evil involved on the supply side. But that's all about greed - on both sides of the law, as has been mentioned already. But please continue with this stretched fuzzy logic.

Aug. 8, 2011, 9:25 a.m.

BTW These drugs will never be legal so we'll never no if you're right or wrong

I'm guessing from this statement, using "no" instead of "know", that we're fighting a losing argument here.

And actually, I think that you can look at crime rates in some progressive European countries and "know" that we may actually be on the wrong track.

Feb. 19, 2012, 9:04 a.m.

http://www.tocatchabikethief.com/

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 20, 2012, 12:45 p.m.

http://www.tocatchabikethief.com/

Filmed in Vancouver - figures.

There should be a follow up to this - "To catch a bike thief - and deliver some street justice."

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Feb. 20, 2012, 5:30 p.m.

Good article! Really has me re-thinking the way I lock up my bike. Thanks for sharing!