Inter River pumptrack

Sept. 14, 2017, 9:45 a.m.

Has anyone tried this pump track? It took them over 6 months to build and it sucks. Its too shallow and hard to carry speed. Almost seems uphill in spots. I was hoping for more out of this. How can we fix this?

Sept. 14, 2017, 2:53 p.m.

Didn't know it was open. Might try to take the kids down this weekend.

Sept. 16, 2017, 10:16 p.m.

Yeah I don't know much about pump tracks but it doesn't seem great. kinda sucks as I appreciate the effort by the district to try and build something for the community.

Sept. 17, 2017, 3:25 a.m.

The kids love it.  Its meant for the kids.

Sept. 19, 2017, 9:54 a.m.

I havent seen the rebuild in person, so take this with a grain of salt:  Kids would still love it if the banked turns were higher.

Maybe the next phase of the redevelopment will include an 'advanced' pump track.  

Is it dirt?  Maybe, talk to the folks involved with maintenance and offer to lend a hand...

Nov. 15, 2017, 1:24 p.m.

Yes take the kids to this pump track.

If you want a great pump track experience visit the Empire pump track. Might be a bit wet now but after a couple of dry days the track is good to go.

Jay rebuilt the track this summer. Again thanks .

The Inter river pump track has issues lets leave it at that.

March 21, 2022, 10:55 a.m.

Thread resurrection, is Interriver the best pumptrack for little kids? My son is 3 and getting decent on his strider bike in terms of balance so I think he's ready for a kid pumptrack. We live in East Van so there's a few options but trying to make first experience a positive one.

March 21, 2022, 11:32 a.m.

Empire Fields if you live in East Van? Not sure how kid friendly it is, but it is closer to you than Interriver.

March 21, 2022, 1:10 p.m.

IR has Pacman to chase around the smaller loop.  Go for it, just avoid busy sunny Saturday afternoons. 

BMX track for the big kid in you too!

March 21, 2022, 3:10 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Thread resurrection, is Interriver the best pumptrack for little kids? My son is 3 and getting decent on his strider bike in terms of balance so I think he's ready for a kid pumptrack. We live in East Van so there's a few options but trying to make first experience a positive one.

My little guy is also 3. He hasn't tried riding Inter River yet but I feel he is strong enough on his strider now. The best thing is I told the wife I need a dj bike so we can go to the pump tracks together, and she didn't give me any static.

Last edited by: bux-bux on March 21, 2022, 3:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 22, 2022, 4:08 p.m.

Thanks guys, I just looked at pics on google images and it looked like IR was more kid friendly than Empire Fields, but yeah EF is a short drive from us (Mount Pleasant). I'll duck out of work (from home) for a few hours on a sunny weekday morning and take him to and report back.

bux: exactly what I was thinking! Haven't owned a DJ bike before, great excuse to work on skills especially as he gets older and onto a pedal bike.

May 7, 2022, 2 p.m.

Vanier park (south end of the burrard bridge) has 2 dirt pump tracks that are both kid friendly, and both NOT good in the wet. Get some.

Richmond Railway park has an asphalt pump track that's fun but full of little kids laying down and gawking parents wandering around with phone-cameras out.  The pumptrack itself is not dissimilar to IR's new asphalt one.

Last edited by: Timv on May 7, 2022, 2 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 9, 2022, 4:08 p.m.

Posted by: Timv

Vanier park (south end of the burrard bridge) has 2 dirt pump tracks that are both kid friendly, and both NOT good in the wet. Get some.

Richmond Railway park has an asphalt pump track that's fun but full of little kids laying down and gawking parents wandering around with phone-cameras out.  The pumptrack itself is not dissimilar to IR's new asphalt one.

Do you know who helps to maintain Vanier? the smallest pump track could use some love, and the "collector" side of the smallest jump line is pretty rough too. I would love to help, but don't want to step on anyone's toes.

May 9, 2022, 9:54 p.m.

Posted by: silverbansheebike

Posted by: Timv

Richmond Railway park has an asphalt pump track that's fun but full of little kids laying down and gawking parents wandering around with phone-cameras out. The pumptrack itself is not dissimilar to IR's new asphalt one.

Do you know who helps to maintain Vanier? the smallest pump track could use some love, and the "collector" side of the smallest jump line is pretty rough too. I would love to help, but don't want to step on anyone's toes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMp0qUKBEbX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://instagram.com/vancouverdirtjumps?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

(I don’t know, but a lot is easily found on IG.  Looks like Vancouver Parks board oversight of a volunteer group)

Last edited by: heckler on May 9, 2022, 9:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 10, 2022, 4:09 p.m.

Good tip on Vanier. We went to Empire this weekend, was actually a perfect family spot as one of us can play with the little one (1 year old) at the playground while the boy rides around the pumptrack. There are some good wood features for him to get his skinny on around the edge of the track as well. Inter-river was easier for him to maintain speed on (asphalt vs. damp dirt) but good times were had and it's closer to home.