Inter-river park mtb section demolished

April 6, 2015, 4:29 p.m.

Not sure what the interest is on this topic, but I couldn't find a thread about it so here we go.

I noticed yesterday that all woodwork at the inter-river bike park has been removed in the last month, it's now just a gravel pit. I asked a guy from the BMX club who told me that the city had deemed it unsafe. The club reached out to NSMBA who declined to be involved in repairing/rebuilding, so it was demolished and will now probably become a BMX pump track if they can get the funds. Please note this is just what I heard - not an official statement or anything.

As far as I know this was the only MTB skills park on the Shore, so I'm sad to see it go. I've used it to practice jumps, drops and riding woodwork, it's been great for building skills without having to spend lots of time climbing up trails only to ride a certain type of feature once or twice on the way down… Also great for taking beginners out for practicing bike handling and assessing level of skill before hitting the trails.

Even Burnaby has a killer skills park - it seems to me that this is something valuable to mountain bikers and currently missing from the shore. Would love to hear your thoughts! Am I the only one who cares? Is there something else existing or in the works that would fill the same purpose?

April 6, 2015, 5:06 p.m.

Some of the structures definitely were rotted and in need of repair.

Let DNV know your thoughts.

http://www.dnv.org/article.asp?c=171

April 6, 2015, 5:38 p.m.

Some of the structures definitely were rotted and in need of repair.

Let DNV know your thoughts.

http://www.dnv.org/article.asp?c=171

Agreed, repairs were needed. Removing the structures was probably the best option if nobody was willing to take ownership… but I'm still sad it's gone.

April 6, 2015, 7 p.m.

Thats crap. My girlfriend loved that practising there. Have all the jumps been flattened too?

April 6, 2015, 7:04 p.m.

my question is why wasn't this put out to the mtb community to see if anyone was willing to volunteer to do the repairs?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 6, 2015, 7:44 p.m.

Yeah good point. It was so well used especially at the weekends.

Dumbing down one structure at a time. :mad:

April 6, 2015, 8:15 p.m.

Pretty disappointing news. I've definitely spent some time there myself in the past and brought friends new to riding there as well.

But maybe this is an opportunity to get one built in a better location, like next to the new parking lot on fromme?

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

April 6, 2015, 8:45 p.m.

This defiantly sucks! So many communities around the world have skill parks for new riders, kids [HTML_REMOVED] practice. Seems like a big hole in a mountain biking community not to have one.

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

April 6, 2015, 9:11 p.m.

my question is why wasn't this put out to the mtb community to see if anyone was willing to volunteer to do the repairs?

I know quite a few buddies that took their kids to the skills park as it provided a safe environment for them to learn. I know that they'll be disappointed and would have definitely stepped up to help with a re-build.

April 6, 2015, 9:23 p.m.

But maybe this is an opportunity to get one built in a better location, like next to the new parking lot on fromme?

Did I hear you say that you're looking for a new location for a skills park?

Good idea. Tell someone about it here. Then tell other people here.

April 6, 2015, 9:45 p.m.

Speaking of skills parks. Noticed a pick from Hooty that he has been building at Empire. Had a pic of a build for the run bikes.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153775424634698[HTML_REMOVED]set=a.10151781886129698.1073741825.509604697[HTML_REMOVED]type=1[HTML_REMOVED]theater

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 6, 2015, 10:18 p.m.

My question is when and why did the nsmba step away from maintaining it?

Pastor of Muppets

April 6, 2015, 10:28 p.m.

It was getting pretty scary and dilapidated, but as mentioned, I am sure plenty of people would have showed up for a couple of weekends to rebuild. It'll be cool to have a pump track, but it's too bad it had to come at the expense of the skills park. Are the jumps leveled too or just the woodwork?

April 7, 2015, 12:29 a.m.

My question is when and why did the nsmba step away from maintaining it?

Genuine question, were they ever involved or was it strictly a DNV parks thing? It was neglected for a long time which always seemed odd to me.

I've heard whisperings about what might be going on, but it's probably best if those who know the details decide to post some information…

April 7, 2015, 5:21 a.m.

Genuine question, were they ever involved or was it strictly a DNV parks thing?

It appears the organisation was involved from the build until 2010.Heck, I thinnk I may have even helped during the build (memory foggy).

NOnetheless, not the nsmba's responsibility, but how could the District let a rec resource get in such a state of disrepair that it had to be decomissioned? We're not talking about a trail in the forest here, but features in a playground.

If a swing or slide needs repair,do they cut it down and walk away without a word as well?

Pastor of Muppets