Injured Mountain Bike Dogs

June 9, 2007, 6:51 p.m.

Hey,

I just got back from my second trip to my vet in two days. My Aussie Sheperd had a pretty serious accident on the trails. He jumped off of a small drop, which I usually rode but this time I sissied out of and bypassed, and he actually caught up to me and hit the back of my bike, and his back paw was caught in the rear spokes and taken into the brake disc. I felt him hit me, so I was able to stop quick enough to prevent breaking his paw, but he was lacerated pretty badly. Luckily we were about 15 minutes from the bottom, so I tied off the wound, and ran him down the mountain. We were able to get him to the vet within about 30 minutes and were super lucky, a bunch of stitches but no severed tendons, and no major muscle damage. Time will tell, but he's already putting weight on the bandaged leg and we're hoping for a full recovery.

I'm just wondering, how many other people have had dogs with mountain biking injuries, what happened? Any other sporting related injuries? How have they recovered? I've heard of pups with joint problems, but nothing more major then that.

Thanks
Todd

June 9, 2007, 7:08 p.m.

shitty,
hope your dog recovers fully.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

June 9, 2007, 7:43 p.m.

Sasha tore a ligament in her leg a few years ago running around in the back yard…hasn't slowed her down a bit. She hauls ass down the trails.

We're both sending healing vibes to your pup!

June 10, 2007, 9:18 p.m.

Healing vibes to doggy! Ours are way too stupid to bring riding, the shiba is scared of bikes and possessed with a wicked prey instinct and the husky would stop dead in the middle of the trail in front of you to sniff rabbit crap no matter how fast you were riding. The husky also has a pathological obsession with heights: she loves to stand on the edge of high drop offs (like cliffs, not bike drops) and sniff the air, but she has terrible balance and has nearly fallen down them several times! Yeah, our doggies chill in the 'partment while we ride, then get a nice big walk or trip to the park when we get home.

June 10, 2007, 9:25 p.m.

Meh…Aussies and stitches. Nothing new around our place. Harley ran into my skiis once, laid her foreleg wide open so you could look right through it, and put a pretty rad nick into her tendon. She ran back for about 6 k's on it and got 15 stitches. No lasting damage.

Also got torn open 3 seperate times from other dogs. We've stapled her back together ourselves a few times for that (way cheaper than the vet).

Oh, and she bailed out of the box of the truck once, has been run over by bikes, fallen off bridges, and generally gotten into lots of trouble.

Hard to keep those dags down.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

June 10, 2007, 10:22 p.m.

My last dog was a great trail mate. She was a Bull terrier/Jack russell cross. Looked alot like a terrier though. Anyways, she was following my buddy and me on a night ride, took her all the time so not a rookie by any means, something caught her attention and she stopped to take a look. Being night and all we didn't notice her gone right away. When we finally noticed, we stopped, called her, could hear her tags jingling, then all we heard was a yelp and then silence. We rode back and there she was, lying at the base of a tree. She must have run full speed, head first right into this big ass tree. We carried her out, took her to an emergency clinic. The next day she was diagnosed with a bunch of crushed vertabrae in her neck. She was basically paralyzed for the neck down. There was partial movement but we had to put her down. A very hard and depressing thing to have to do! So be careful out there, especially if you ride at night.

June 11, 2007, 8:36 a.m.

Sophie tore her right ACL in December, surgery in January. Then in March she tore her left ACL. She is still recovering and I am not sure how long till she can come out on the trails again. Hopefully soon.

((( Healing vibes to your puppy )))

June 11, 2007, 6:22 p.m.

so sorry to hear about your dog, happy healing to your pup, and i hope that he can get back on the trails too :dog:

GeoffGangGang

June 11, 2007, 6:32 p.m.

Monty got an on-trail tail amputation from a similar incident. It seems that dogs tails go in a circular motion when they're going downhill, and I'd just done a rollover that he'd gone around. He veered in a bit close and then yelped, I thought my pedal had banged his ribs or something. When we stopped and I was trying to figure out where the drops of blood were coming from, I glanced up the trail and saw this little white fluffy thing. It was the last inch or two of his tail that had swung around into the wheel. Luckily I think the rotor had cauterized it, there wasn't much blood. He ended up losing about a third of it, the vet said that because the skin on dogs tails is under tension, he had to remove a bit extra so he could stitch it securely. I don't take Monty out with a bike anymore unless it has rim brakes on it, I just felt too horrible about accidentally lopping parts off of him. Hope your dog heals up soon!