In lieu of a couple of beers for a trail builder...

July 13, 2015, 2:43 p.m.

I know lots of folks who are pressed to find a few hours a week to ride, never mind get up into the woods and build/maintain trail, but who really appreciate the huge amount of time [HTML_REMOVED] effort that hard working volunteers put in.

And, I know a lot of those folks, when they come across a builder out fixing things don't hesitate to throw in $5/$10/$20 for some beers to say Thank You for making riding better for all of us.

Anyways, Mark (Syncro here on NSMB.com) and I don't always see eye-to-eye but in the time I've known him he has always been one of the first guys hiking Seymour after a wind storm cutting out dead fall, "They Should" out replacing worn out woodwork, etc, etc, etc and he's always been quick to lend a hand to other folks building/maintaining trails that need some saw work done.

He didn't post up here as far as I can tell (probably thinking it would turn into a thread about ham sandwiches) but he's looking for a hand replacing a dead chainsaw and I'm pretty sure if you wouldn't think twice about throwing him a couple of thank-you-bucks for beers he'd be doubly appreciative if you could help out with new tools.

Next time there's a tree down on your favourite North Shore trail you'll be able to call in a favour:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-chainsaw-for-volunteer-trailbuilding/x/11472305#/story

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

July 13, 2015, 5:13 p.m.

Awesome, let's hope he can make his target!

July 13, 2015, 5:42 p.m.

Why wouldn't the NSMBA fund this?

July 13, 2015, 5:48 p.m.

thanks for the support Drew!

just so everyone knows, i'm going after a bigger saw for milling beams. imo, using milled beams for stringers/supports is better than using round cedar stringers as they're stronger and more impervious to rot. my old husqvaran 55 that just died was underpowered for the amount of work i was doing with it. i can rebuild it, but's it's jut not powerful enough.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 13, 2015, 5:53 p.m.

Why wouldn't the NSMBA fund this?

i haven't asked the nsmba to help out. right now i'm not working in close ties with the nsmba but Mark Wood and I are getting along and he helped me in getting the permit for my trail. i'd like to keep trail politics out of this and will appreciate any help that comes my way.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 13, 2015, 6:32 p.m.

What if I live in Antarctica and want the clock?

July 13, 2015, 6:38 p.m.

just so everyone knows, i'm going after a bigger saw for milling beams. imo, using milled beams for stringers/supports is better than using round cedar stringers as they're stronger and more impervious to rot. my old husqvaran 55 that just died was underpowered for the amount of work i was doing with it. i can rebuild it, but's it's jut not powerful enough.

Sounds like a good plan. Wish I could give more but least its something to help. Appreciate the work!

July 13, 2015, 7:16 p.m.

What if I live in Antarctica and want the clock?

ha!

Ellen Langer

July 13, 2015, 7:22 p.m.

Sounds like a good plan. Wish I could give more but least its something to help. Appreciate the work!

thanks! there's a big part of me that didn't want to do the ask but it is what it is and every little bit helps.

Ellen Langer

July 13, 2015, 7:44 p.m.

No problem Mark. I really appreciated when you helped me out, and I know how much blow down you have cleared or adapted.

Hopefully enough people can spare a fiver, ten'er, etc, to keep all those trails on Seymour clear this winter and help with whatever other awesome projects you're working on.

Cheers,

July 13, 2015, 8:22 p.m.

Supported!

Huge thanks to all the trail builders out on the Shore (and everywhere for that matter). Happy to chip in a few bucks here or there given how infrequently I manage to get my ass out to trail days.

Hope the new saw rips!

July 13, 2015, 8:43 p.m.

dasalottahamshammys!!!

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

July 13, 2015, 8:52 p.m.

dasalottahamshammys!!!

:)

Half way there folks!

So awesome…

July 13, 2015, 8:59 p.m.

Great cause - donation made!

July 13, 2015, 9:02 p.m.

thanks! there's a big part of me that didn't want to do the ask but it is what it is and every little bit helps.

We all know people are working hard on those trails every time we ride them. Just don't always know who or how to thank!