I'm a 230lb Hack Going On A Trip To Whistler, How Much Travel Do I Need?

March 30, 2009, 9:07 a.m.

Sounds like you need glasses. I'm not sure what 6 years of computer experience or a good disposable income have to do with biking. A-Line is a vicious trail. Both easy and brutal at the same time. It's one of the only trails at Whistler that scares me, even though I can ride pretty decent for a 'murcan. You wreck on Clown Shoes and you'll probably be ok. Wreck on A-Line and call the meat wagon. Speed + air + hard dirt = nasty crashes, especially for people who are starting to feel the joy of consistently hitting tranny. Gotta respect the mountain.

AGREED!
I have ridden almost every trail on the hill and A-Line is the one that has exacted the largest toll (snapped tendon in my hand, separated shoulder, many bike parts). It is NOT the most technical trail, but it is one of the fastest, and speed = pain when you fall (note I said when, not if). Granted, it is not all that hard to ride, but it is tricky to ride well, and it is very tempting to ride at too much speed.

March 30, 2009, 9:19 a.m.

I don't see how someone who has been on this site for 6 years and is about to buy a serious bike is going to have any trouble on A-Line.

:lol: Can you imagine how good he'll be after spending TEN years on this site??!! And on a serious bike??!! OMG!!
Screw flight school! Logging into Aircanada.ca once a day for a few years and I'll be fighter jet ready!!

March 30, 2009, 9:26 a.m.

AGREED!
I have ridden almost every trail on the hill and A-Line is the one that has exacted the largest toll (snapped tendon in my hand, separated shoulder, many bike parts). It is NOT the most technical trail, but it is one of the fastest, and speed = pain when you fall (note I said when, not if). Granted, it is not all that hard to ride, but it is tricky to ride well, and it is very tempting to ride at too much speed.

Sounds intimidating…

Originally posted by Count Blah
Count Blah chillin' in the bushes:thepimp:

Euuuurah Euuuuuuuughah! Eugh… FUCK! :lol:
I've sentenced myself to a life behind bars, great!

March 30, 2009, 11:15 a.m.

falling on aline does hurt, ive only done it once and dont ever want to do it again, and falling on clown shoes does hurt alot less. dont push your self to far on aline. know your skill level and stay with in it or you end up like me trying to fallow pros down the trail and clearing a landing and waking up with like 10 people standing around you asking if you are alright. also ended my day of riding as well. tryed oen more run after that and i got really dizzy trying to ride and had to limp my way down the moutnain

March 30, 2009, 12:31 p.m.

big travel makes A-line harder IMO, no pop unless you really crank up the low-speed compression and tire pressure.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 30, 2009, 2:42 p.m.

Sounds intimidating…

really, it's not too bad. I was up at whistler for the first time last september (didn't really bike much until last year) and rode it a bunch on a hardtail…haha. I wouldn't advise that though, the braking bumps are murder.

Just ride within your abilities and you'll be fine. …of course, you won't progress unless you push a bit, ah well.

I will say though, riding a few days at whistler with friends that are much better than you sure helps for improving!!

Bicycles!

March 30, 2009, 5:48 p.m.

It is more misleading than intimidating. First time I rode it I was completely underwhelmed. Then I figured I could do it faster, and so on (over multiple trips to the hill) until I went splat. I suspect that having a bigger bike will move you through that process a bit faster.

March 30, 2009, 8 p.m.

big travel makes A-line harder IMO, no pop unless you really crank up the low-speed compression and tire pressure.

you don't need pop, you overshoot almost every jump in A-line.

March 31, 2009, 2:44 p.m.

you don't need pop, you overshoot almost every jump in A-line.

you do if you're a 230lb hack going on a trip to whistler

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 31, 2009, 2:47 p.m.

you do if you're a 230lb hack going on a trip to whistler

[smartass]mass doesn't affect projectile.[/smart ass]

seriously though, if you're not too familiar to biking yet, i wouldn't try to attempt a-line on your first day.
Try to do crank it up/b-line, a bunch of times before entering into a-line. and try to go to lower a-line and avoid upper as it's not too fun.

happy trails

March 31, 2009, 2:49 p.m.

Yeah but if you're a wimp and you're slow you won't overshoot!

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

March 31, 2009, 3:52 p.m.

seriously though, if you're not too familiar to biking yet, i wouldn't try to attempt a-line on your first day.
Try to do crank it up/b-line, a bunch of times before entering into a-line. and try to go to lower a-line and avoid upper as it's not too fun.

happy trails

I am familiar, just not with anything the size that Whistler hosts (I am in the UK). Thanks with the tip, it's what I was intending on doing. If I do end up giving A-line a go at the end of the week, don;t know how I am gonna approach it, seeing as all I know about it is what I have seen in various bike films.

March 31, 2009, 3:53 p.m.

Yeah but if you're a wimp and you're slow you won't overshoot!

Yeah, you'll just nicely case into the tranny ^^

March 31, 2009, 4:24 p.m.

I am familiar, just not with anything the size that Whistler hosts (I am in the UK). Thanks with the tip, it's what I was intending on doing. If I do end up giving A-line a go at the end of the week, don;t know how I am gonna approach it, seeing as all I know about it is what I have seen in various bike films.

Most guys we know from the UK are pretty ballsy riders
Like our buddy Pikey of Deal

March 31, 2009, 7:14 p.m.

first time i went to whistler i;ve never done anything remotely big, but you just pick it up really fast like snowboarding.. after falling 20x.