I'm a 230lb Hack Going On A Trip To Whistler, How Much Travel Do I Need?

March 28, 2009, 12:53 p.m.

So yeah, plan on going to Whistler this summer, probably to attend the gravity camp to improve my skills (or lack there of), I definitely want a full sus bike, and I'll be aiming to take on trails like A-line and bigger at some point, so how much travel do you guys recommend?

Cheerrs.

Originally posted by Count Blah
Count Blah chillin' in the bushes:thepimp:

Euuuurah Euuuuuuuughah! Eugh… FUCK! :lol:
I've sentenced myself to a life behind bars, great!

March 28, 2009, 1 p.m.

Just one question, ok?

You want to attend a SGC camp this summer _and _at the same time take on trails like A-Line and/or bigger/more difficult ones?

You are _either _insane _or _a better rider than you think and are able to comfortably fly through the air on a bike.

But who am I to argue, I cannot clean a 10 foot + table comfortably but I know that crashing in Whistler hurts the same if not more than anywhere else.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 28, 2009, 1:31 p.m.

Aside from the course which i have no clue about , what will you be doing with the bike. Do you have the luxury of owning more than one bike or do you want a do all full suspension.

In the last year have gone through a learning curve finding i need a heavier set up than what i first stared with and still not totally dialed as i need yet a heavier spring in my forks for my weight which is probably close to yours with my gear on.

With some more info from you i am sure the guru's will be able to help you out

March 28, 2009, 1:33 p.m.

Are you planing on buying a bike just for this trip or renting. If you rent in the village you can get some good bikes and if you have a few days on the hill can switch it up and try a few diffrent bikes like Konas, Rockys and Norcos.

As for how much travel you need depends on your riding style. I love having my 9+9 DH pig up there for the sole purpose of charging at everything and going fast. On the otherhad I always have fun on my shorter travel FR bike cause its alot easier to chuck around on some of the tighter tech trails, and in the air.

Its all up to how you want to ride.

March 28, 2009, 1:42 p.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

March 28, 2009, 2:27 p.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

oh well then you need a handy cell phone carry case on that new rig for sure….

:)

March 28, 2009, 2:53 p.m.

You can get away with a variety of bikes, just make sure they are sprung correctly for your weight (something you would have to be wary of if you rent). I would also suggest a burly wheelset, the bike park eats wheels.

March 28, 2009, 2:59 p.m.

you can get away with 6" but 8" would be really alot more comfortable.

March 28, 2009, 3:59 p.m.

Sounds like you need a Cove Peeler virtually indistructable It has over sized aluminum tubing on a single pivot platform. 8.5 in the rear add a 888 with 8 inches and you will be stylin and like someone else said add a burly set of wheels. i think I saw a couple on the floor of the cove shop priced very well.

March 28, 2009, 4:35 p.m.

Depends on how far away you start from…

Really, more travel is only going to be necessary if you are trying to compensate for a lack of skill. Personally I'd think a 6" bike would be great because it will force you to slow down a bit. You could very easily find yourself in over your head on an 8" bike really quickly up there.

March 28, 2009, 6:05 p.m.

Sorry, I am aiming to end up giving A-line a try. It'll be one bike that I will use for everything, from DH to street hucking. I guess I would like to move the bike about a bit, but my other hobby in life is weightlifting, so weight really isn't too much of an issue ot me. I have some bomb proof rims to put on the rig (Mavic 729, Atomlab trailpimp both on CK hubs).

I'm deciding between 2 lengths of travel 6" or 8", which one determines if I pick up the BMW SR6 or SR8.

March 28, 2009, 7:08 p.m.

Its a no-brainer … get the bigger travel bike but DON"T LET IT GO TO YOUR HEAD …

If you do overshoot something, the last thing you want to rely on is a 6" fork saving your butt. The 8" fork might pull through and save you from trouble.

March 28, 2009, 7:18 p.m.

Sorry, I am aiming to end up giving A-line a try. It'll be one bike that I will use for everything, from DH to street hucking. I guess I would like to move the bike about a bit, but my other hobby in life is weightlifting, so weight really isn't too much of an issue ot me. I have some bomb proof rims to put on the rig (Mavic 729, Atomlab trailpimp both on CK hubs).

I'm deciding between 2 lengths of travel 6" or 8", which one determines if I pick up the BMW SR6 or SR8.

For DH and possibly (street) hucking… I don't see any reason to not get 8" front and rear. SR6 is nice and would be a really fun bike, but if I were you I would go with the SR8.

22 Pride

March 28, 2009, 9:32 p.m.

What the hell is street hucking?

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

March 28, 2009, 9:56 p.m.

Trek session 10

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.