I'll believe it when I see it...Squamish Gondola

March 18, 2012, 10:34 p.m.

Dang, I wanna move to Squamish.

don't bother, the riding here sucks and is non-existent. i'm moving back to vancouver for sure!

March 19, 2012, 7:08 a.m.

sounds like fear mongering. This could be very beneficial to Squamish. I can't see how the impacts to the park would be detrimental. Its already incredibly busy in the summer and faces a busy highway. Its already impacted.

I get that more tourist $ = more/better infrastructure, better services, etc. Which serves all of us.

But I guess I feel well-serviced as is.

Will this gondola help resuscitate downtown Squamish? Is all that's missing for that a bunch of $? Seems to me that if downtown Squamish was, you know, nice, that people would want to come hang out. Seems to me that many lovely small towns entice people in to walk the streets, spend in the shops, etc.

But instead of encouraging business and creating a culture to make the town a destination, they really just want to snatch a few quick bucks and send people on their way north, which is all Squamish is seen as anyway: a gas station/urinal on the way to Whistler. Save the town, profit.

I'd love to see Squamish be more than a big strip mall, 1 Tim Horton's, 2 Starbucks, Canadian Tire, Nester's, 4 gas stations and a bunch of trails on the side of the road.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 19, 2012, 8:22 a.m.

Until you find a better mayor and council,you're doomed to more of the same.

Pastor of Muppets

March 19, 2012, 10:35 a.m.

I'd love to see Squamish be more than a big strip mall, 1 Tim Horton's, 2 Starbucks, Canadian Tire, Nester's, 4 gas stations and a bunch of trails on the side of the road.

Until you find a better mayor and council,you're doomed to more of the same.

Squamish people wanted a Wall Mart as per public input in 2001 where the majority wanted a big box store. So congrats on that!

What HT said. Rejuvenating the downtown is nothing more then public will. At least this current council didn't want more industry down there ( saw mill)

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

March 19, 2012, 11:20 a.m.

This is outrageous. Some dip-shit's gonna ride his bike over the edge of the Chief.:eek: Then what? =/

Ernie Crist lives!

May 9, 2012, 1:39 p.m.

Whoops……….

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 9, 2012, 1:48 p.m.

At least this current council didn't want more industry down there ( saw mill)

What's wrong with a saw/planer mill, especially if there's some other facility doing value added processing of BC wood product?
Those are potentially better paying jobs than being some 'merican owned big box wage slave.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 9, 2012, 1:53 p.m.

Whoops……….

what's "whoops"?

May 9, 2012, 1:56 p.m.

what's "whoops"?

As in it may not be a slam dunk.

May 9, 2012, 1:58 p.m.

As in it may not be a slam dunk.

we'll see, I probably wouldn't bet against it though.

May 9, 2012, 2:01 p.m.

From the comments….

"This area, the route to Mt Habrich and Mt. Sky Pilot, the area behind The Chief and Shannon Falls, were set aside from any development for a multitude of reasons. Incorporating numerous ecosystems from coastal to glacial over a short distance, beautifully unique, important to the water supply, , none of these things have changed. Creating parks is a lengthy and time consuming process that is thwarted more often than it succeeds. To so easily set aside all of this for a little private money making is a very short sighted idea that does not bode well for any of our parks. Squamish is the trying to sell itself as a recreation capital. Spend the money being spent on repeatedly arguing about this on improving trails, on signage and marketing and all of those other things that attract people who appreciate the natural beauty of the area. This would be more far-sighted. "

I don't know if this instance is setting some kind of precedent for the province but I for one am not comfortable with the removal of land from a park .

May 9, 2012, 2:03 p.m.

From the comments….

"This area, the route to Mt Habrich and Mt. Sky Pilot, the area behind The Chief and Shannon Falls, were set aside from any development for a multitude of reasons. Incorporating numerous ecosystems from coastal to glacial over a short distance, beautifully unique, important to the water supply, , none of these things have changed. Creating parks is a lengthy and time consuming process that is thwarted more often than it succeeds. To so easily set aside all of this for a little private money making is a very short sighted idea that does not bode well for any of our parks. Squamish is the trying to sell itself as a recreation capital. Spend the money being spent on repeatedly arguing about this on improving trails, on signage and marketing and all of those other things that attract people who appreciate the natural beauty of the area. This would be more far-sighted. "

I for one am not comfortable with the removal of land from a park .

the "area behind The Chief and Shannon Falls" is not parkland, and is actually old logging clearcuts and it's likely to be cut again in the future if this proposal doesn't go through.

May 9, 2012, 2:09 p.m.

I was referring to park land lost to the actual gondola route.

Q.) Why, if as the commenter stated, that area behind the Chief and Shannon Falls was set aside from future development, do you think it'll be subject to industrial use in future?

May 9, 2012, 2:13 p.m.

I was referring to park land lost to the actual gondola route.

Q.) Why, if as the commenter stated, that area behind the Chief and Shannon Falls was set aside from future development, do you think it'll be subject to industrial use in future?

the commenter doesn't know what they are talking about. I'm very familiar with the project and the land use designations in the area. The area above, and outside, of the parks is not protected in any way.

The strip of land for the gondola line isn't being 'removed' per se, it's being re-classed from Class A to Protected Area, one can agree or disagree with that as they see fit and it's open for debate for sure.

May 9, 2012, 3:32 p.m.

the commenter doesn't know what they are talking about. I'm very familiar with the project and the land use designations in the area. The area above, and outside, of the parks is not protected in any way.

The strip of land for the gondola line isn't being 'removed' per se, it's being re-classed from Class A to Protected Area, one can agree or disagree with that as they see fit and it's open for debate for sure.

This. And furthermore, the strip is very narrow. This whole thing is a tempest in a teacup. The gondola will open up access to some awesome terrain which, until now, has been mostly the domain of logging companies, particularly since the Shannon Creek FSR was blocked.