I'll believe it when I see it...Squamish Gondola

Feb. 13, 2012, 7:33 p.m.

Dang, I wanna move to Squamish.

Feb. 13, 2012, 7:36 p.m.

I think a ridable trail could happen looking at that pic, but I guess I wouldn't really know living in Arizona and all.

Feb. 13, 2012, 9:19 p.m.

lol ridable on a piece of paper

Feb. 14, 2012, 7:42 a.m.

There is plans for a Grouse Grind style trail so that they can tap into the hiking crowd for a 10 buck down load ticket.

Feb. 14, 2012, 8:14 a.m.

lol ridable on a piece of paper

what is ridable and what not is only a definiton:

http://www.singletrail-skala.de/

Feb. 14, 2012, 9:43 a.m.

what is ridable and what not is only a definiton:

http://www.singletrail-skala.de/

Ya Voll!!!

That is some sketchy terrain.

Feb. 14, 2012, 12:32 p.m.

We have had a busy start to 2012 with new developments in the Sea to Sky Gondola project. After a successful public hearing in November and subsequent 3rd reading by Squamish Council, we are expecting to receive 4th and final reading within the next two weeks. This final stamp of approval by the Squamish Council will be important to approvals and permits from the Provincial Government, BC Parks and the Squamish Lillooet Regional District.
We are currently working hard on closing on the land at the base area and anticipate having that finalized in the next few weeks.

Our next steps in the regulatory process include first and second reading for the rezoning of the top terminal area by the SLRD and the BC Parks permit approvals. More updates to come as we continue to proceed through the approvals process.

Sounds like it's coming. That would be sweet if they had a brittania beach to squamish bike friendly shuttle bus. It would make squamish laps that much easier.

March 16, 2012, 11:52 a.m.

Seems like the Squamish gondola got one step closer to reality

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/03/15/bc-squamish-gondola.html

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

March 16, 2012, 12:25 p.m.

Seems like the Squamish gondola got one step closer to reality

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/03/15/bc-squamish-gondola.html

“Provincial parks aren't supposed to be bisected, aren't supposed to be cut in half, aren't supposed to have hectares of land taken out of them at the wishes of developer.”

I'm more in agreement with this statement than anything else in the article. I'm not sure we should be making nature more accessible. Nobody is entitled to an effortless trip up the mountain.

I'd rather preserve the park. As riders we have plenty of ways to get up there without a gondola.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 16, 2012, 3:03 p.m.

I'd rather it not go in, but I guess Squamish wants the tourist money.

Thread killer

March 16, 2012, 3:52 p.m.

“Provincial parks aren't supposed to be bisected, aren't supposed to be cut in half, aren't supposed to have hectares of land taken out of them at the wishes of developer.”

I'm more in agreement with this statement than anything else in the article. I'm not sure we should be making nature more accessible. Nobody is entitled to an effortless trip up the mountain.

I'd rather preserve the park. As riders we have plenty of ways to get up there without a gondola.

sounds like fear mongering. This could be very beneficial to Squamish. I can't see how the impacts to the park would be detrimental. Its already incredibly busy in the summer and faces a busy highway. Its already impacted.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

March 16, 2012, 8:44 p.m.

there is an article in the georgia straight this week about the proposed gondola
http://straight.com/article-634541/vancouver/gondola-split-chief-park

March 18, 2012, 1:10 p.m.

This is outrageous. Some dip-shit's gonna ride his bike over the edge of the Chief.:eek: Then what? =/

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 18, 2012, 1:32 p.m.

This is outrageous. Some dip-shit's gonna ride his bike over the edge of the Chief.:eek: Then what? =/

Then we have cleansing of the gene pool….Darwin at work it's a good thing:)

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

March 18, 2012, 8:49 p.m.

Which will be built first, this or the Brittania site being proposed by the new Chinese owners? All the Sea to Sky nimby's must be pulling all-nighters these days…just as Harper is about to tell you that the Fisheries Act is only in force when economic impacts are not on the line (ie we won't be talking in terms of HADD's in 2012)…..

NSMBA member.