Iconic North Shore trail features. Your favourite stunts?

June 11, 2013, 10:42 a.m.

I was thinking about this the other day - the topic of stunts being removed and not replaced came up in a conversation. I started thinking about a list of features on the shore that havent changed, or are very similar to what they were 10-13 years ago. Some stunts that stood out for me especially were the Teeter totter on Ladies, and the Boogieman log over the swamp (and to be fair, 75% of the stunts on boogieman). also the Crater drop on Fromme.

Do you have a stunt that has stood the test of time, gives you trouble now and gave you trouble then, or just one that stands out as the classic shore move. I also think natural features are definitely part of this, rock rolls, and drops etc.

So ill start with the 3 I chose.

- Ladies Teeter
- Boogieman Log
- Crater Drop

June 11, 2013, 1:02 p.m.

Ill advised timing on this thread, maybe?

June 11, 2013, 3:13 p.m.

Expresso smooth comes to mind, haven't got it but on my list, but did manage to get the springy log ride after the smooth before it went away.

The newer drop Digger put up on Ladies (around the tree). Not a hard drop but was a mind game for me. Have got it now and it felt so easy and smooth the first time I hit it wondered why it took so long.

Stump roll at the entrance to UOC. I get it most times, but have had a few close calls (either nose wheelie or trying to play chicken with the tree in front of the roll … btw the tree never seems to move)

Lower Ladies - the curved wood ramp to the rock roll. I always hit the brakes at the end of the wood ramp no matter how good the ride is up to that point. I know it's not that hard, but it has my number.

Actually lots more, but that is what keeps me coming back. Some days are good others less so.

In light of the recent tragic incident on Fromme and obviously not knowing what happened it has me wondering; I think that sometimes the most difficult line is knowing when to push the boundaries and when to pull back. Some days we are able to push our own limits and wonder why it was ever a limitations while other days we trip walking over a root. On those days when you do easy back on your riding whether it is a stunt you know and have done, or yet to do but think maybe today, only to say no, not today perhaps another day, should you have pushed through the indecision or pulled back

RIP to the fallen rider

June 11, 2013, 6:18 p.m.

The right turn just after Bart's bridge is pretty tough on Ladies.

Thread killer

June 11, 2013, 6:31 p.m.

the rock faces on Fifth Horsemen.
The Cherry Bomb
The Widow Maker

All old Cypress lines, but still gets the heart rate going

June 11, 2013, 6:34 p.m.

Ill advised timing on this thread, maybe?

My thinking too.

OK, what's the fall zone surface like around the various stunts?

I've seen some obviously dangerous shit I thought shoulda' been removed case someone took a fall.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 12, 2013, 1 p.m.

natural drop on neds - more of a feature than a stunt. prolly wont hit that anymore. it was originally off to the left of the trail and we called it the offshoot.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 12, 2013, 1:21 p.m.

The steep 8' left ladder down, about 3/4 way down Upper Oilcan…love that stunt.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

June 12, 2013, 3:02 p.m.

The stunt I miss the most is the Double Teeter on Oil Can, design was cool and it always messed with my head.

The Stump Roll at the entrance of UOC will always be a great way to start your ride, it was always a sign of how my ride was going to go, hit the Stump Roll/ride all the stunts, miss the Stump Roll/have a nice easy day. I haven't ridden UOC in almost 2 seasons, time to get back on it I guess.

June 13, 2013, 1:17 p.m.

^^ hiked down uoc the other day and it is EXACTLY the same as 2002, seems like not a single rock has moved

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 13, 2013, 1:39 p.m.

uoc/starfish/boundary my all time favorite. Clean all but some moves on Starfish. Some of those skinny where scary, I don't know the name but the supper skinny one with a drop at the end never did that one. Don't do most of that stuff anymore, I'm to old and busted up!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

June 13, 2013, 1:59 p.m.

^^ hiked down uoc the other day and it is EXACTLY the same as 2002, seems like not a single rock has moved

I guess the only difference is what I am riding and what protective gear I wear. I am always on a trail bike on Fromme with just a helmet and gloves, so I don't ride the skinny tech stuff anymore. I learned to ride all that stuff clipped in on a hardtail, so that is no different, I am just more cautious in my old age.

Nick, that was my favorite go to lap for years too. Super fun especially if you get a good start on UOC, it all flows together. The one stunt I struggled with was the teeter on Boundary, only ever got it twice before it was taken down.

As for iconic Shore stunts, I think the original Coaster on Lower Ladies has to rank up there. Really unique in it's day and took a few tries (crashes) to figure out how to do it the first time, but once you figured it out, it was no problem.

June 13, 2013, 9:26 p.m.

The woodwork on upper oil can was always a favorite of mine, especially the 180 degree turn part. And as far things I haven't done yet, sideshow comes to mind:

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

June 13, 2013, 10:23 p.m.

Lower Ladies - the curved wood ramp to the rock roll. I always hit the brakes at the end of the wood ramp no matter how good the ride is up to that point. I know it's not that hard, but it has my number.

Yeah, some days I come around and I can see the line and roll it, other days I don't and have to hit the brakes. Same goes for that weird stepped root roll on Ladies right by the 4th SB.

June 16, 2013, 7:12 p.m.

As I skipped the log ride exit on 7th on Saturday, I thought, there is a pretty iconic structure.