ICBC claims - rear ended with bike on rack

June 26, 2019, 10:52 p.m.

Anyone have any recent experience with auto collision claims with ICBC for bike damage? Was driving to go for a ride tonight when some fool rear ended me while I was stopped at a yield (100% their fault, they admitted, have witnesses etc). Bike was on an NS Rack. Rack is severely bent, rear wheel/cassette/rotor of bike is destroyed. Frame is carbon and compromised given the force of the impact - obviously I will be pushing for a bike/frame replacement on that logic Car appears to only have cosmetic damage from rack hitting the bumper but of course I'm worried the force that went through the hitch could have caused other damage.

Found some reddit posts where folks had $20k of nice DH bikes wrecked in a rear ender going to Whistler and had retail value reimbursed by ICBC pretty easily with a couple quotes. Hope that's the case.

Last edited by: grambo on June 30, 2019, 10:08 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 26, 2019, 11:24 p.m.

Haven't experienced that but often think about it. Find myself regularly looking in the mirror to see if buddy is gonna stop. Good luck dude!

June 27, 2019, 10:02 a.m.

When a car wrecked one of my bikes, ICBC made me go to three bike shops to quote repair/replacement.  Similar, driver was 100% at fault so no real problems with the claim getting paid out.

I told the adjuster that I needed the bike to train for racing and she expedited the payment.  While I was actually training and racing XC at the time, the damaged bike was my beefy shore hardtail so kind of stretched the truth on that ... but you do what you have to.

That was like 15 years ago though, so take that for what it's worth.

June 27, 2019, 1 p.m.

Thanks guys. Had an initial call where adjuster mentioned depreciated value. I challenged her on why I would be out of pocket to buy a retail replacement for the bike (it's a 2017) when the accident is not my fault. Once she understood this is an expensive bike, she agreed I should not be out of pocket thousands of dollars, so we will see. Next step is pictures of my receipt for the bike and various upgrades. Hoping I can get retail replacement value and order something ASAP given it's prime riding time.

Will update when it's settled.

June 28, 2019, 12:31 a.m.

How are you feeling?  Any soreness from the impact?

June 28, 2019, 11:59 a.m.

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Rear-ended with a couple of bikes on a NS rack. ICBC asked for 3 quotes and ended up replacing the rack and hitch, as well as repairing the bike properly. Ken at LV Bikes was super helpful and they ended up getting the claim. Overall I was pretty satisfied with how ICBC handled it.

June 28, 2019, 9:03 p.m.

Posted by: idle

Ambulance chaser.

June 29, 2019, 5:15 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Ambulance chaser.

Haha, absolutely not.  More concern for a fellow member.

June 29, 2019, 10:24 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Ambulance chaser.

Haha, absolutely not.  More concern for a fellow member.

lol.........

June 30, 2019, 10:47 p.m.

Neck and upper back sore, keeping an eye on it. Won’t be giving medical clearance to ICBC until I’m sure I am ok of course.

July 1, 2019, 8:29 p.m.

Remember there's a cap now so pointless to string it along for too long.

grab teh money and ran like you steal it

Last edited by: tungsten on July 2, 2019, 9:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 2, 2019, 4:20 p.m.

I believe the cap is on medical damages? 

Anyway, ICBC came through big time. Agreed on a settlement number this morning and picked up a cheque from ICBC over lunch. Successfully got retail + GST on the bike and rack so I am not out of pocket at all. Impressed with their service... I think the fact I said I would sign off on medical clearance quickly helped move it along. I feel 100% and am not going to submit fraudulent medical claims so was happy to give that to them.

Unplanned new bike day, but at least I won't miss much riding!

July 2, 2019, 8:46 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

I believe the cap is on medical damages?

Anyway, ICBC came through big time. Agreed on a settlement number this morning and picked up a cheque from ICBC over lunch. Successfully got retail + GST on the bike and rack so I am not out of pocket at all. Impressed with their service... I think the fact I said I would sign off on medical clearance quickly helped move it along. I feel 100% and am not going to submit fraudulent medical claims so was happy to give that to them.

Unplanned new bike day, but at least I won't miss much riding!

Last edited by: syncro on July 2, 2019, 8:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 3, 2019, 4:19 a.m.

Looks like Rob’s head is about to pop.

July 28, 2019, 3:57 p.m.

Grambo: did you claim for any "incidental" expenses?

I've just had someone reverse into my loaded bike rack, with my Hightower taking the brunt of the impact.

Thing is, I was on a mountain biking road trip vacation and I've had to cut it short. 

My problem is that the driver is an Albertan so private insurance and I don't know what I'll be able to claim for (eg rental bike until I've got a suitable bike again).

Anyone got any experience of this?