I guess it's just a matter of time

Oct. 1, 2014, 9:24 p.m.

An obvious concern is that once you open up trails to e-bikes the definition of non-motorized becomes blurred. It won't happen at once but over years slowly you would eventually see motorcross on any trail if e-bikes make the transition. How can they enforce the rule mtn bikes and e-bikes only? E-bikes will start off as they are but become full electric motorcross bikes over time.

Oct. 1, 2014, 9:47 p.m.

A couple years ago, some dude on an e-setup ripped by me on Mt Hwy as I was getting ready to drop into Ladies. It was getting late so it wasn’t all that surprising that he was in a hurry, but he was flying. Dude was on what looked like a Stinky Deluxe and he was fucking hammering up the road. I’m terrible at this, but he must have going [HTML_REMOVED] 15 mph. I remember thinking to myself that if everyone was banging laps with e-assist , there’d have to be traffic lights on the trails. High-speed mtb traffic on Mtn Hwy would definitely “diminish my experience”.

Seriously, give me one of these La Pierres and I guarantee I’ll slay some new climbs (Expresso, Bottletop, etc). Can you imagine the potential for collision? The only positive outcome would be people like the guy in this video stealing Strava KOMs:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFtvMG_COwI

Oct. 1, 2014, 10:34 p.m.

It's a game changer for sure. If e-bikes become popular then there might have to be "e-bike trails" and "regular bike trails", which might get complicated and controversial and become a clusterf*ck.

Oct. 1, 2014, 10:52 p.m.

i just think that there is a segment of the population that would benefit from these types of bikes and before we go all aggro and throw the baby out with the bathwater maybe we should take a look at some options that would include people instead of outright excluding them.

What is this segment? Are they not served with motorized rec areas, or chairlift bike parks

An obvious concern is that once you open up trails to e-bikes the definition of non-motorized becomes blurred. It won't happen at once but over years slowly you would eventually see motorcross on any trail if e-bikes make the transition. How can they enforce the rule mtn bikes and e-bikes only? E-bikes will start off as they are but become full electric motorcross bikes over time.

Yeah slippery slope for sure

Oct. 1, 2014, 11:08 p.m.

Potential e-mountain-bikers should consider this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdqCQkUnFZY

Oct. 2, 2014, 8:18 a.m.

exactly. the inevitable greyness between e-assist and e-moto makes it impossible to legislate / enforce an allowance of these things on moto restricted trail networks. as mentioned previously, the only acceptable solution is to classify them all as motorized vehicles.

Oct. 2, 2014, 8:37 a.m.

I remember hearing these same arguments against big, trail-wrecking dual suspension downhill pigs around 2000/2001. Plus ca change, hein?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 2, 2014, 9:22 a.m.

I remember hearing these same arguments against big, trail-wrecking dual suspension downhill pigs around 2000/2001. Plus ca change, hein?

With the clear difference being, with the exception of a few hard-men, that they were largely pushed up the mountain, therefore not lapping the crap out of the trails. And other than lift assist areas, designed for this level of volume and abuse, it's perhaps the years of slugging those bikes up that has led to the quality of all mountain bike we have today.

I don't see an e-bike as a catalyst to that kind of positive transformation.

Oct. 2, 2014, 9:48 a.m.

I am relatively new to riding and the North Shore. Last weekend I huffed and puffed my sorry middle aged ass up Old Buck then up the Power lines down a switch back or two to ride Forever After. It was a slog but a big part of the enjoyment of riding for me is the climbing as well as the decent. E-Bikes will never provide satisfaction that and I think should be relegated to trails that are available to motorized vehicles.

By the way if anyone knows a faster way up to Forever After than the route I took let me know.

Safe Riding.

Oct. 2, 2014, 10:20 a.m.

I am relatively new to riding and the North Shore. Last weekend I huffed and puffed my sorry middle aged ass up Old Buck then up the Power lines down a switch back or two to ride Forever After. It was a slog but a big part of the enjoyment of riding for me is the climbing as well as the decent. E-Bikes will never provide satisfaction that and I think should be relegated to trails that are available to motorized vehicles.

By the way if anyone knows a faster way up to Forever After than the route I took let me know.

Safe Riding.

Do you mean Old Buck to Baden Powell to Power Lines? If you are going up Old Buck to the Power Lines (not turning left at BP) you are going too far up. Otherwise that's the route. Add Dales for a bit more climbing but much fun descent.

Oct. 2, 2014, 10:21 a.m.

Turn left on to the BP and eventually you will get to a fun trail that dumps you out just before the forever after entrance, it cuts out some climbing and double track descending, if you got time though why not ride Pingu first.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Oct. 2, 2014, 10:33 a.m.

just think of all the sweet skids you could do on your electric 'bicycle'

Parking lot punter with a beer belly

Oct. 2, 2014, 10:38 a.m.

It won't happen at once but over years slowly you would eventually see motorcross on any trail if e-bikes make the transition. How can they enforce the rule mtn bikes and e-bikes only? E-bikes will start off as they are but become full electric motorcross bikes over time.

You mean like this?

http://cleanrider.com/em-5-7-electric-trial-bike/

Its already happened.

I'm no elitist, just someone that gives a shit about the trails on the Shore and our access to them. I can easily see how e-bikes on the trails could be a negative thing for all of us, it doesn't take much imagination to do so. For commuting purposes I think they are great. When I worked at a shop downtown a few years ago I took one for a rip and it was an eye opener just how quickly I could accelerate with traffic from a stop light. Do they have a place on mixed use hiking/biking trails? I don't think so. I don't see how this makes me a Monica though…

There are generally bans on riding motorized vehicles on trails on crown and park land unless specifically designated … I don't think e-bikes are going to change that definition of "motorized". I believe by definition an e-bike cannot go faster than 32 km/h, the speed beyond which you require a motor vehicle license to operate. If people start doing it illegally on trails … well - its illegal and the lawbreakers will have to be dealt with somehow. If at some point point, e-bike and battery technology evolves to a state where the difference between an ebike and a non-ebike become minimal (like on Ryder Hesjedahl's Cervelo :-) ), it may be time to revisit this. As others have mentioned, if offroading becomes extremely popular, special trails may be built to accommodate e-bikes, just like there are moto-trials trails, equestrian trials and hiking-only trails.

Oct. 2, 2014, 10:52 a.m.

Well technically that's a trials bike. Electric or gas that is still not allowed on trails where motorized stuff is prohibited.

I love the idea of an electric trials bike but I would never expect to ride one on sanctioned mountain bike trails. Why would I want to? There are unlimited forests to explore around here and a trials bike is the perfect tool for that.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 2, 2014, 12:05 p.m.

@ soulfly and clarkee

thanks for the tips.

Safe Riding.