I got an email...

Oct. 27, 2015, 1:52 p.m.

There was once a group of guys called RepGang on this very board who thought that MountainBiking is Serious Business. And NSMB as well.

I recall those days. It seemed reasonable at the time to make a plaque.

I had it on display with the race awards at the 2008 Bear Mtn Challenge. Sadly, someone thought it was VERY serious, and so stole the thing. Ah well.

Oct. 27, 2015, 2:02 p.m.

"MTB is serious" ? thoughtful consideration of your own image.

Fact is people don't ride to think. I get that. But there is still some merit in thinking about how riding is portrayed by the rest of the public, and the way that the image of the sport will determine its trajectory of growth and its ability to persist in the face of its critics. I guess you could call that serious. But I think some people mistake thinking with being serious, and balk at the suggestion of engaging in either process.

Oct. 28, 2015, 5:10 a.m.

Mountain biker number 1: "Our shit doesn't stink."
Mountain biker number 2: "Yes it does!"

That's how these threads usually go.

You forgot the ones who are in for popcorn and a cold one.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 28, 2015, 6:39 a.m.

repgangGANG

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Oct. 29, 2015, 12:44 a.m.

repgangGANG

It's like nearly ten years ago.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 29, 2015, 5:13 a.m.

It's like nearly ten years ago.

^ wow shit… even I remember that, and I'm barely around here.

Oct. 29, 2015, 8:25 a.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2894027]"MTB is serious" ? thoughtful consideration of your own image.

Fact is people don't ride to think. I get that. But there is still some merit in thinking about how riding is portrayed by the rest of the public, and the way that the image of the sport will determine its trajectory of growth and its ability to persist in the face of its critics. I guess you could call that serious. But I think some people mistake thinking with being serious, and balk at the suggestion of engaging in either process.

You probably hate every skateboard movie and BMX movie ever made. I'm pretty sure those guys weren't thinking of the general public and how their sport was "portrayed". Yet some would say those videos, the riders and the progressive moves that were caught on film have shaped the future of their respective sports and helped take them to the height of mainstream popularity. I haven't seen Unreal yet because in general MTB movies have lost my interest (I haven't seen something that inspired me to ride since the Collective). I'd rather watch a 3 minute webedit of sick trail riding anyways……………….

Shed head!

Nov. 19, 2015, 12:35 p.m.

Hey Lady,

Since when do the actions of one represent the whole?

Way to pick your battles.

Nov. 19, 2015, 5:49 p.m.

Painting Off road riders with such a wide brush is not different than me painting environmentalists as lying spreaders of self interested propaganda just because that's what Greenpeace and the Sierra Club does.

Chasing the horses was dumb.

Nov. 19, 2015, 6:15 p.m.

I don't think the horse would be too concerned about the rider around them. These are WILD horses, tough as nails and probably not having a propensity for anxiety when charging in a pack.

Remember your last A-line train? Did you not feel invincible!?

What's WAY worse is petting turtles or dolphins and activities like that. OR, dressing your cat in outfits because it looks cute.

These activities are more likely to cause emotional stress than the example cited here IMO.