I got an email...

Oct. 6, 2015, 8:56 p.m.

the making of segment seems to indicate reasonable care was taken in regards to handling [HTML_REMOVED] separating the horses from the riders during the take (though there was obviously one altercation).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIYZ1HYd2ns

Oct. 6, 2015, 9:10 p.m.

She's a bit over the top, and her anger is potentially misdirected at NSMB as opposed to the riders and filmmakers, but I don't think her criticism is completely unfair. The video kind of bugged me for similar reasons.

i hadn't seen the vid until i saw this thread. after watching it i had pretty much the same conclusion.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 6, 2015, 11:29 p.m.

The point is that if you eat meat you are contributing to something worse on a daily basis. And that's avoidable.

And I'm not telling you not to eat meat, just that IMHO, criticism of this is a bit rich if it comes from those who do. It's like seal clubbers criticizing the whale hunt, if the whales didn't actually die that is.

Just because one wrong is worse than another wrong, it doesn't mean that the minor wrong isn't still wrong ;)

They didn't ride by the horses, they rode at them shouting. Sure worse things are happening on the planet but why act like dicks and give us a bad name?

Oct. 7, 2015, 6:02 a.m.

What you seem to be telling us is that since we need to eat, it's OK to harass animals for fun. :rolleyes:

The point is that if you eat meat you are contributing to something worse on a daily basis. And that's avoidable.

And I'm not telling you not to eat meat, just that IMHO, criticism of this is a bit rich if it comes from those who do. It's like seal clubbers criticizing the whale hunt, if the whales didn't actually die that is.

Oct. 7, 2015, 7:12 a.m.

So only vegetarians and people buying free range meat are allowed to be offended by dickish behaviour? That's silly.

Oct. 7, 2015, 7:20 a.m.

If she should be bitching about anything it should be which horse wrecked that guys bike. He was almost killed! I demand that horse be punished!

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Oct. 7, 2015, 7:51 a.m.

What you seem to be telling us is that since we need to eat, it's OK to harass animals for fun. :rolleyes:

You don't need to eat meat. :rolleyes: That's a choice.

And eating meat, considering the barbaric practices of the livestock industry, is far worse than riding bikes with horses. And you participate in that if you eat meat. Because it's convenient and tasty and socially acceptable. Is that better than sport?

So only vegetarians and people buying free range meat are allowed to be offended by dickish behaviour? That's silly.

You can be offended and still act like a dick to animals. That's your right as hypocritical internet commenters. But I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that if you were really serious about preventing cruelty to animals you wouldn't participate in cruelty to animals. Otherwise you are just being critical on the internet for sport.

Oct. 7, 2015, 8:10 a.m.

You can be offended and still act like a dick to animals. That's your right as hypocritical internet commenters. But I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that if you were really serious about preventing cruelty to animals you wouldn't participate in cruelty to animals. Otherwise you are just being critical on the internet for sport.

We only buy our meat from farms that treat their animals humanely. We do so specifically because we don't approve of the mass farming practices you described.

But that's really irrelevant to whether or not I think the guys in that video are acting like dicks.

Oct. 7, 2015, 9 a.m.

Everything has been said already. An over-reaction on Miss Elise's part? Sure, but it's still a stupid and unnecessary scene.

Even more disappointing in my opinion is Cam's leaping to the defense of 'People kill animals for food, so others get to be dicks and chase animals around.'

Oct. 7, 2015, 9:01 a.m.

We only buy our meat from farms that treat their animals humanely. We do so specifically because we don't approve of the mass farming practices you described.

But that's really irrelevant to whether or not I think the guys in that video are acting like dicks.

Exactly. Eating meat (mass produced or sustainably) and chasing animals for a movie to generate revenue (sell movies, sell bikes etc) really are apples and oranges.

I bet those guys eat meat and chase horses! The nerve. :mad:

Oct. 7, 2015, 9:06 a.m.

They didn't ride by the horses, they rode at them shouting. UOTE]

You know that ranch hands on horse back ride at the herd shouting and as seen in the use a whip on the horse as well right?

Wonder how the woman feels about the truck add with the truck herding sheep?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 7, 2015, 9:12 a.m.

^ Of course. They are dicks too….

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 7, 2015, 9:23 a.m.

Everything has been said already. An over-reaction on Miss Elise's part? Sure, but it's still a stupid and unnecessary scene.

Even more disappointing in my opinion is Cam's leaping to the defense of 'People kill animals for food, so others get to be dicks and chase animals around.'

Have a look back at what I actually said Ted. Unless you'd just like to criticize me for what you think I said.

First have a look at where I ever defended the filmmakers' actions. So how can I be leaping to defense of something I never defended?

If you'd like to actually be disappointed in me (so hot right now!) you can be disappointed because I am saying that it's hypocritical to be 'outraged' by the treatment of horses running wild with bikes if you participate in an industry that abuses and mistreats billions of animals every day.

But if you'd rather not deal with the truth, and you'd prefer just to hack me for what I didn't say, then carry on.

Oct. 7, 2015, 9:30 a.m.

You know that ranch hands on horse back ride at the herd shouting and as seen in the use a whip on the horse as well right?

Wonder how the woman feels about the truck add with the truck herding sheep?

Lol, I was thinking the same thing. Or hearding sheep, or cattle or… The horses weren't in danger and I doubt the film makers had any intention of harming an animal.

Oct. 7, 2015, 9:34 a.m.

Maybe she's an opponent to mountain biking who felt this was a way to make us look bad?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/woman-64-accused-of-erecting-traps-on-north-shore-bike-trails/article22346259/

She's making NMSB.com look bad? Was her email to you posted in a public forum? Who's making whom look bad here?