I feel bad for the Hikers...

Nov. 11, 2019, 6:18 p.m.

So Seymour was bustling today. Did a great loop with my wife that involved a little traversing on bridle path. As usual for a holiday, it was super busy. Gotta say, a large proportion of the mountain bikers we passed were real dicks. Didn't move over, didn't slow down, didn't say anything, didn't even smile or nod. 

As I have a couple of homes I ride a lot on Northern Vancouver Island a lot. I'm not saying they are all the friendliest lot in the world over there but they slow down when going by you the other direction and will often acknowledge you as more than an obstacle on their Strava route.

It's one thing for bikers going by bikers, but I really feel for the hikers and runners. I find they universally stop and get completely off the trail when I go past, which means they have probably got used to a$$hole mountain bikers passing them within an inch of their personal space at high speed. It's a sad commentary on our mountain bike culture. Perhaps those who read this could try a smile or nod? Maybe stop and put a foot down to wait for a rider climbing the trail you are about to go down? If you are really motivated, let people you go past know how many are in your group? If we all put in a little effort, it will make the very busy North Shore more civil.

Nov. 11, 2019, 8:23 p.m.

Yep. 'xactly the reason they should never be let into National Parks.

Nov. 11, 2019, 9:23 p.m.

Yup. We did a rare shuttle day today, buddy I was shuttling with bombed right through a group of kids playing at trailhead. I stopped and apologized, but really wtf how hard is it to muster a bit of consideration. 

I made that fucker ride at a crawl past them the next lap.

Nov. 11, 2019, 9:27 p.m.

I hike often on Seymour and there are a lot of bikers that are asses.  And there are a lot that are very courteous.  Too bad about there rude ones - they ruin it.

The signs say bikers must yield.   Just obey the signs, whether you bike or you hike.

Nov. 11, 2019, 9:53 p.m.

I was a Princess Park a couple of days ago, kids were playing capture the flag. They had finished and were walking up the paved road just past the playground when a biker went zipping past us at mach one speeds. There was 18 kids ranging from 6-14 yrs of age. A couple of mom yelled at him to slow down, which he didn't. I was quite embarrassed to be a mtber! All he had to do was slow down for a whole 10secs.

Last edited by: Ouch on Nov. 11, 2019, 9:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 12, 2019, 6:24 a.m.

I slow down and chat with every hiker I meet on the trails. Sometimes I don't mind. Sometimes it ruins my flow, but I figure every good interaction they have with a mountain biker helps our cause in some small way. I try and usually get into a quick discussion about what a great day it is to be outside enjoying the forest so they can see we are both out there for the same reasons even if our chosen activities are different. I'm especially careful to do this when I am travelling as last thing I want to do is F-up someone else's trail access as a visitor.

I'm on Van Isle though so the user density is not super high and I am not stopping 10 times in an hour to chat.

Nov. 12, 2019, 6:59 a.m.

Always take time to say hello, sometimes I’ll even pull right over and let them pass. That said some hikers can be complete dick heads to. Last week bumped into 7or8 hikers( three were very young kids) hiking up Superbear in Mission. That trail is a high speed track with large jumps. Pretty dangerous for both groups. I also get pissed with dog walkers on obvious dh trails. I’ve bumped into the same woman a couple of times usually with 6 to 8 dogs, most of them unleashed. So it definitely works both ways. Assholes in every group.

Nov. 12, 2019, 7:52 a.m.

Weekends and weekdays on the Shore are like night and day. Dunno where these guys come from on the weekends but the non friendly don't give a shit attitude has really been noticeable over the last couple years. Buddy comes hauling down St Mary's where it crosses Boundary, proceeds to air off the roller where it's a blind corner into a group of hikers, no one was hurt luckily... Guy was unapologetic, took off, so pathetic. Welcome to the weekends on Fromme. Find the Gen x er crowd is really friendly, the younger guys if riding solo bury their face in their phone when you pass on climbs or look away. Must be horrible to have all that social anxiety.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Nov. 12, 2019, 7:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 12, 2019, 10:32 a.m.

Yeah, it really comes down to having some consideration for other trail users. It's really not that difficult, but some people just don't seem to get it. Remember, nobody cares about your Strava times.

Nov. 12, 2019, 11:18 a.m.

Related Qs from an older fart and north shore noob.

1. Is there a reason roadies and MTBers don't have bike bells out here?

2. Is it now acceptable to not yield to those traveling up hill? (esp on fromme ascent)

3. Am I allowed to be miffed about trail runners going down Expresso and cutting corners on a busy Sunday afternoon ?

Nov. 12, 2019, 11:22 a.m.

Whenever I'm hiking or riding slow for a reason and someone whips by I yell 'STRAVA!' 

Always seems to work

Nov. 12, 2019, 7:43 p.m.

I just turn my bike sideways on the trail. Seems to work pretty well too !

Nov. 12, 2019, 8:05 p.m.

Assholes in every group, some think they own the trail & certain users should not be on it. There is room for everyone out there. I always try & be extra polite, especially to the grouchy people. (They hate that, lol)

Nov. 13, 2019, 12:06 a.m.

Posted by: basilbrushboomboom

Related Qs from an older fart and north shore noob.

1. Is there a reason roadies and MTBers don't have bike bells out here?

2. Is it now acceptable to not yield to those traveling up hill? (esp on fromme ascent)

3. Am I allowed to be miffed about trail runners going down Expresso and cutting corners on a busy Sunday afternoon ?

Good questions. Can't speak for everyone but I'd say:

1. because the rattle and jingle away on your bar and drive you crazy. Also they take your $10000 superbike and make it look super cheesy. Finally, I usually talk to people I'm passing; say Hello to let them know I'm coming and let them know how many are in my group. A bell just kinda says, I'm coming, watch out.

2. I think this is unacceptable personally but based on experience, not a universal rule for riders. I can understand why some riders prioritize downhill riding though. They ride mostly park and shuttle and get off their bike to walk all uphills on the trail even though they are on enduro bikes. Don't know if that makes it right, but I can see their point of view. Personally I think when they are on multiuse trails they should follow the traditional etiquette rather than a DH prioritized etiquette.

3. I think cutting corners on trails is unacceptable in general. Can't imagine it would be much fun running down expresso being passed by a million bikers. Is there any rule against runners being on mtb trails if they are going the right way? I figure if we would share them with unicycles, we should probably welcome trail runners as well.

Nov. 13, 2019, 8:37 a.m.

Surprised that after 8 (?) years of strava, people haven't realized that you aren't going to PR/KOM when the trails are busy and there are additional hazards: people! 

If you are such a DH tough guy who doesn't want to yield to climbers, maybe ride a trail that is steep and technical so that nobody can climb up it.