Why I don’t want an ebike (but I don’t hate them)

Nov. 12, 2018, 9:12 a.m.

Posted by: TheWasp

https://vimeo.com/297372941

And another.....

There's no 29er option and they don't come in XL. I guess my work here is done.

Nov. 13, 2018, 4:01 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Brocklanders

Someone mentioned earlier about getting buzzed by a pedelec - that shouldn't be happening and is an example of poor trail etiquette. Question is, how can that be stopped? Is there a potential teaching moment to not get out of the way and let that rider know these are the rules for passing? It's not a race out there, we all have equal access to the trails. 

Maybe we could get Seth Rogan to do a bunch of PSA's on trail etiquette?

Dec. 21, 2022, 2:27 p.m.

This article says why perfectly

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/adventure/for-the-love-of-the-sufferfest-why-type-2-fun-is-the-best

revisiting this. i did several part time hike a ebike trips this year high up in the alpes. you can have it both ways with them. 20kg up your shoulders is no joke

Dec. 21, 2022, 5:26 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/adventure/for-the-love-of-the-sufferfest-why-type-2-fun-is-the-best

revisiting this. i did several part time hike a ebike trips this year high up in the alpes. you can have it both ways with them. 20kg up your shoulders is no joke

I had three e-riders very displeased with me leading a group ride to the peak of a mountain in Powell River.  It wasn't  a problem the nasty gravel road everyone else grunted up, but the last 100 meters vert hike-a-bike up, I cannot imagine was fun with 20kg.

Dec. 22, 2022, 8:25 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

I had three e-riders very displeased with me leading a group ride to the peak of a mountain in Powell River.  It wasn't  a problem the nasty gravel road everyone else grunted up, but the last 100 meters vert hike-a-bike up, I cannot imagine was fun with 20kg.

That sounds like the climb up to Civil Disobedience.

I wonder at what ratio between road climb and hike-a-bike a normal mtb becomes more energy-efficient than en e-mtb ;-)

Dec. 22, 2022, 9:23 a.m.

Yup. Full Civil by Ebike, not so fun. They bailed at midpoint due to too techy of a ride, not knowing the funnest parts were below.

Mind you, a few pedallers were pretty pissed at me too for not warning them of the ride plan details.  Who doesn't love a fresh unknown trail?!

Last edited by: heckler on Dec. 22, 2022, 9:25 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 22, 2022, 10:04 a.m.

I rode Civil from Comox this summer, one of my favourite rides of the year.

My buddy picked me up from the PR ferry terminal to drive to the trailhead in his plug-in hybrid RAV4 so I guess we did have some electrical motor assistance.

April 1, 2023, 9:20 a.m.

Classic Norbs  

https://youtu.be/7t7Kf2ch0G4

May 19, 2023, 4:38 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I rode Civil from Comox this summer, one of my favourite rides of the year.

My buddy picked me up from the PR ferry terminal to drive to the trailhead in his plug-in hybrid RAV4 so I guess we did have some electrical motor assistance.

My dad and I rode CD from the ferry terminal and back on his 60th Birthday.  ~40km round trip.

May 20, 2023, 3:27 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Classic Norbs  

Good looking bike though not gonna lie.

May 20, 2023, 11:08 p.m.

how many of the early naysayers in this thread now own one?

May 22, 2023, 9:09 a.m.

how many of the early naysayers in this thread now own one?

It will be interesting to see the responses to this lol.

I had one.  I sold it.  I would ride another, but they are just a little too pricey for me for a second bike.

May 22, 2023, 9:24 a.m.

Not myself. I was lucky enough to be able to ride / demo a couple through work for a few seasons. Fun, but I think the ebike market still has a long way to go for reliability / weight / pricing.

I remember hearing from people working for some of the largest bike brands (think top 3-5 bike brands) that they were basically working around a nearly 100% failure rate on their ebikes for a while and they just pushed through the challenges. Not really the market I want to be getting into with my thousands of hard earned dollars. Anecdotal information and they never mentioned the details / severity of the "failures" of course though so take that as you will.

Love the idea but maybe still needs more time in the oven. Maybe the bikes / tech is better since I've been out of the industry for around a year now and I stopped paying attention to ebikes when I stopped being required to pay attention to them for work lol.

I dunno, not for me yet, if ever.

Last edited by: thaaad on May 22, 2023, 9:24 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 22, 2023, 4:22 p.m.

Not own, but happy to borrow.  Giant Fiver this week, and sweep will be fully assisted, maybe we’ll get to the burgers on time.

May 22, 2023, 4:27 p.m.

Did a Coldwater River Road ride with friends. Us on carbon gravel, two friends on nice E-mtb and another on a E-costco stepthru, her hubby on his mtb. Skill and fitness levels were, let’s say, “varied”.

The carbon gravel bikes led the pack both directions, uphill and down a 10 km pavement hill.

Last edited by: heckler on May 22, 2023, 4:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.