Why I don’t want an ebike (but I don’t hate them)

Oct. 24, 2018, 7:02 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Good points Syncro,

Just to put things in perspective go to the birthplace of Mtb in Marin County. They have the MTB museum which is great, and the worst trail system I have ever rode ( have family there). They had access yanked away years back because things never got sorted with the land managers, so that was the end of that. Kinda like what is going on here, NSMBA is sitting on the fence, to scared to lose sponsor money. I emailed them voicing my concerns and got a generic email back... Pretty weak

We have to look at the long term, the Ebikes will get faster and faster doing upwards of 30km up climbing multi use trails shared by hikers, things will not turn out in our favor. This city is growing by the day, the bridges are jammed on sunny weekends with hikers coming to the shore. Here will be the litmus test on how it all plays out.

I'm going to hazzard a guess and say that a large part of mtb access issues in Cali come down to the heavy influence environmental groups have down there. I don't think that the NSMBA is sitting back due to  being afraid of losing sposor money, but I think the lack of public discussion is troubling. 

Long term ebikes may get faster, but whether they can be sold here comes down to provincial regs which currently sit at a max of 32 km/hr. The bike co's will be able to up that but it won't serve them at all if they can't sell them here. Of course the regs do nothing to take into account people modding their bikes. 

Someone mentioned earlier about getting buzzed by a pedelec - that shouldn't be happening and is an example of poor trail etiquette. Question is, how can that be stopped? Is there a potential teaching moment to not get out of the way and let that rider know these are the rules for passing? It's not a race out there, we all have equal access to the trails. 

I'd posit the question of what if you're grunting up a climb and you hear another rider coming up behind you who calls track and waits to pass till you acknowledge them or give them room. Do you feel any different if it's a pedal bike or a pedelec? What if the person behind you doesn't call track and barges by? Same thing, do you feel any different if they are on a pedal bike or a pedelec. If things go awry I don't see mtb access around here being threatened, but I do think it will take a long time to bring back a sense of etiquette to the trails. How the community on the trails funcitons is the responsibility of every person out there, whether they're on foot or bike or satan's spawn ;)

Oct. 24, 2018, 7:03 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

IMO #2 and #3 would not be practical to implement.

I agree that those two would be a challenge, but they seem to be better than doing nothing at all which is the current situation.

Oct. 25, 2018, 9:42 a.m.

So isn't the BC ministry of so and so supposed to make an announcement regarding ebikes on trails? Or are they waiting for the dinners and gifts from Specialized first?

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Oct. 25, 2018, 9:43 a.m.

Kinda like what is going on here, NSMBA is sitting on the fence, to scared to lose sponsor money. I emailed them voicing my concerns and got a generic email back... Pretty weak

i don't believe the nsmba has any power to dictate yay or nay on the matter - it's solely up to the respective land managers.

Oct. 25, 2018, 9:48 a.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

Kinda like what is going on here, NSMBA is sitting on the fence, to scared to lose sponsor money. I emailed them voicing my concerns and got a generic email back... Pretty weak

i don't believe the nsmba has any power to dictate yay or nay on the matter - it's solely up to the respective land managers.

They don't but they can get the conversation going. We all remember what happened with CHMC a while back.

Oct. 25, 2018, 12:28 p.m.

Isnt NSMBA the land manager on Fromme and Seymour marked trails?

Oct. 25, 2018, 5:19 p.m.

I think what bothers some people is the hard sell that is being delivered by some. Ya gadda try it. It’s the future of mountain biking. Yeah yeah. It’s not the bikes or the riders per se but the hard sell I dislike. But in places with access issues for regular bikes, ebikes are not going to help at all.

Oct. 26, 2018, 9:05 a.m.

Yeah, the hard sell gets to me too.  I have a few buddies who have similar preferences and experience to me who have tried 'em.  They all say that they're a blast, but they also all say that they're not mountain bikes, but lightweight motorbikes.  Not one of them has moved onto riding them, and they ALL say that they wouldn't be appropriate on a bunch of trails around where we live (Victoria), and that they don't want to see them on the trails that they built.  One guy in Nanaimo bought one, uses it as a trail building sled, and also does massive exploratory rides on it.

The marketing says different.  Who ya gunna believe?

Oct. 26, 2018, 3:47 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Great discussion from lots of people here and I bet some of you are getting a bit burnt out, I know I am a bit and am feeling like the conversation is starting to go in circles a bit. I'll throw out a few last ideas tho.

1. If the main concern seems to be over climbing and etiquette, what if ebikes were restricted to paved roads or double track only for climbing access? So the road on Seymour/Cypress and the gravel road up Fromme?

2. If people abuse whatever rules are set out the fines are hefty. A $100 fine to someone on a $6K - $10K bike is nothing. Make the fines steep, like $1000 or more that can get attached to ICBC licensing and insurance; that will make people sit up and take notice of what's going on. 

3. Mandatory education of some sort when people buy, so they're aware of the rules and trail etiquette (something I'd actually like to see for all bikes tbh). It doesn't help with used sales, but it's a start at least.

Great ideas and in theory they would solve the problem, but in practice they are impossible to enforce. Who is going to be out there on GSM/Fromme/No Quarter inspecting bikes to see if they are ebikes or bicycles? Who will be handing out fines and under what authority? Why should land managers incur costs attempting to enforce this (and the enforcement mechanism would vary, private land to parks etc...)

The practical reality is that if enough conflict occurs on public multi use trails, the land managers are much more likely to just shut down non-pedestrian access, aka bikes/ebikes/moto/whatever it is. That is the risk.

Oct. 28, 2018, 12:21 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Isnt NSMBA the land manager on Fromme and Seymour marked trails?

Land Managers they are not.

Oct. 29, 2018, 3:23 p.m.

I encountered two ebikes while running up Penny Lane the other day.  The music from their Bluetooth speaker (might have just been a phone) almost masked the whine of their motors.  They did pull over to let me pass, which was nice.

Nov. 6, 2018, 3:48 p.m.

Is trailforks a reliable way to find out where e-bikes can be ridden?  When i use their ebike layer, all of the trails disappear!

Nov. 7, 2018, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: BigFoot

Is trailforks a reliable way to find out where e-bikes can be ridden? When i use their ebike layer, all of the trails disappear!

Might have to ask Trailforks directly, there's a forum on PB where canadaka who created it posts... it might be the case that it hides trails by default unless they have an ebike approved designation. Either that or the admin (trail association/land manager) has said they are prohibited where you are looking.

Last edited by: grambo on Nov. 7, 2018, 10:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 7, 2018, 5:35 p.m.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/05/ducati-mig-rr-e-mtb-electric-mountain-bike/

New player entering the field

Nov. 9, 2018, 7:02 p.m.

https://vimeo.com/297372941

And another.....