Why I don’t want an ebike (but I don’t hate them)

Sept. 21, 2018, 11:19 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: syncro

I think time is probably one of the big factors for many people who have switched to ebikes. Life gets way busier for people as they get older so the ability to shave a bunch of time off your ride up the service road may mean the difference between getting a ride in or not at all.

Or get a light. $6000-15000 on an emoped or $500 on a wicked lamp.

$2100

https://radpowerbikes.ca/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike?variant=5921603518496

Sept. 24, 2018, 2:13 p.m.

It is very easy for my emotions to have a great influence on this subject. May i add that this is in the Shore forum. This is about Shore trails yes?

Why did i get into mountain biking? I first was into hiking. I noticed the trails would be easier on my knees if i could ride down. I also noticed i can get farther into the mountains and still get home before dark. The hikers did not mind if i greeted them with a big smile.

The hikers did not mind and were impressed with the tenacity  of us using our own power to climb up and ride down on our quiet bikes.

E bikes make an ugly electric buzz when climbing. I remember hearing one on Seymore power lines  way before i saw the guy mashing up the hill.

What inspires me and makes me proud is getting into the mountains under my own power. 

E bikes. No thats a nice name for what they are motor cycles. I do not want to see motor bikes on trails. I do not want to hear motor bikes on trails.

I commute full time by bike. I have no car. 

If you commute by bike then yes sir bring on the E bikes. I love the feeling of propelling my self under my own power. Its a rush that i get to feel every day.

I guess if your out of shape and have plenty of hills to climb then perhaps an E bike will suit you. Do you wish to get in shape? Ditch the crutch bike and get a real bike.

Ride on the Shore? We are all going to laugh at you if you ride a E bike which is actualy a motor bike.

As for all the sponsored pros riding E bikes on Shore trails.  You are sending a very dangerous message to the riding community. Your personal yet paid opinion is that electric bikes are OK on the Shore trails.

You are not the spokes person for the community of mountain bikers on the North Shore. 

My opinion is that E bikes are great for commuting.

Electric bikes have no place on North Shore trails.

Sept. 24, 2018, 4:09 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I think time is probably one of the big factors for many people who have switched to ebikes. Life gets way busier for people as they get older so the ability to shave a bunch of time off your ride up the service road may mean the difference between getting a ride in or not at all.

Or get a light. $6000-15000 on an emoped or $500 on a wicked lamp.

I was thinking time in terms of the time available to get out as well as the time of day when one can get out. I can see how for some people it may make the difference in being able to ride at all.

Sept. 26, 2018, 10:54 a.m.

Does anyone here ride 2-way trails? It is terrifying that inexperienced riders can be just a couple of pedal strokes from 30km/hr on sections with poor visiblity. Sure a strava hunter could do the same, but there are only a handful of them, and they only last for 30mins.

Sept. 26, 2018, 6:45 p.m.

Yup. The big distinction there is that will be 30km/h *uphill*.

Ugh.

The biggest speeding Stravasshole in the world is at least coming from a direction you expect.

Sept. 27, 2018, 8:30 a.m.

UCI announces Mont-Sainte-Anne to host first e-mtb world championships in 2019

Sept. 27, 2018, 8:50 a.m.

In case the UCI wasn’t stupid enough already. Sheesh.

Sept. 27, 2018, 4:42 p.m.

What the hell is going on over at the UCI? E-Bikes and the Olympics? I must be going crazy.

Sept. 27, 2018, 5:03 p.m.

as with many things in life, if you want answers then you just have to follow the money

Sept. 27, 2018, 9:04 p.m.

Can't wait to see e-bikes in the Tour de France!!!

Sept. 27, 2018, 10:30 p.m.

Posted by: mudrunner

Can't wait to see e-bikes in the Tour de France!!!

FYI they’ll get as much of a workout as those without.

Sept. 28, 2018, 8:19 a.m.

They’ll get an even better workout, haven’t you heard?

Sept. 28, 2018, 8:49 a.m.

Posted by: craw

What the hell is going on over at the UCI? E-Bikes and the Olympics? I must be going crazy.

The Olympics are bringing in E-sports ( video gaming) also.

Sept. 28, 2018, 9:31 p.m.

Snooker (billiards) has been considered for the olympics for years. They are being considered for 2024. Also horseback riding? shooting and archery? ballroom dancing?

Olympics has some great athletes but is not in my opinion "the standard" for sport in the world.

Also, can you imagine how fast a steroid laced, EPO fueled athlete could go with a "juiced" motor? That would be crazy! Can't wait to hear about the first athlete getting busted for hacking his motor and getting extra watts.

What a joke. I would put motocross or sport bike racing into the olympics before Emoped personally.

Sept. 28, 2018, 9:50 p.m.

What a joke. I would put motocross or sport bike racing into the olympics before Emoped personally.

Those would be televisable events. 

Lance can't wait for e-bike TDF