I can't Jump!

May 28, 2010, 6:35 p.m.

So the idea behind the rear wheel tap is that you use the rotation mass or momentum in the wheel to lever the front down?

I presume messing with the front just sends you to hospital. :)

Yup, it rotates the front down. I use that once or twice a day a Whistler where I mess up the take off. I haven't found one to correct the forward bucking mistake yet. I will let you know on that one!

May 28, 2010, 8 p.m.

Yup, it rotates the front down. I use that once or twice a day a Whistler where I mess up the take off. I haven't found one to correct the forward bucking mistake yet. I will let you know on that one!

Yeah the forward buck with a front brake tap just sounds like a wrong combo. I think you just have to kiss your ass and pray?

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

May 29, 2010, 8:35 a.m.

You could try pedalling like a madman haha. I'd like to see that.

May 29, 2010, 12:06 p.m.

You could try pedalling like a madman haha. I'd like to see that.

I suppose you could try that… :) Works on a motor bike.

I usually just leap frog the bars in that instance. So far it has only ever happened once where I crashed. Too bad it was on A-line! :clap:

May 31, 2010, 4:11 p.m.

Couple years ago I was in the same boat… had quite a bit of mountain bike experience (even some racing) from the '90 to '96, but no real dual suspension jumping experience when decided to get back into it. Hauling ass downhill was basically as it had always been, I could just go faster with more suspension.

But jumps with a full suspension bike took me a bit of practice and a few key tips before I got it dialed (not before I got bucked pretty badly in the park, ass over tea kettle…) So here are a few thing I've learned and/or tips from people that helped me get much better. I'm now fully confident at hauling ass down a-line.

- Go fast, faster than you want to… this is easier done by starting on small jumps (recommend the inter-river skills park. Start on the smalls and work your way up)

- Up off the seat, weight centered, feet flat on flat pedals, knees bent, elbows bent and level, pointed out a bit, relax.

- Go fast, look at lip and as you're hitting the tranny, compress (push quickly and fairly hard down with your feet and handlebars), then just as you approach the lip, use the compress to give yourself a little pop off the lip (kinda just uncompressing) - now look at your landing while you suck the bike up into yourself… after the pop off the lip, for a split second you and bike will feel a bit distant, but since you've compressed, then popped, the bike is (should be) rising. This is where "don't be a dead sailor" comes into play. Which means, don't just compress, pop and then wait… compress, pop and "suck" the bike up. Eventually, this will all feel and become one motion and you'll learn to play with its basic parts to adapt to different jumps or set yourself up for different tricks.

- The best thing anyone every told me was to "actively" jump, don't let the bike jump you, you jump the bike, keep control of it, by doing the above, that is exactly what you'll be doing - push, pop, suck

- Also, I find, when jumping, like when riding, look at where you want to go… look at the middle of the lip, then look at the landing.

- Push, pop and suck, don't try to do to much of anything else yet… once you're comfortable and are nailing your hits, then start worrying about your style. I realized quickly and painfully that even so much as dropping an elbow in the air or at the wrong time when you're not used to controlling you bike in the air, can have bad side effects!

Take it easy, have fun!

June 2, 2010, 12:42 a.m.

i agree I see a lot of beginer riders trying to bunny hop the bike when first starting out instead using the compress pop and suck technique to really "feel" the jump or they just go off and dead sail. Practice Practice Practice…..

Couple years ago I was in the same boat… had quite a bit of mountain bike experience (even some racing) from the '90 to '96, but no real dual suspension jumping experience when decided to get back into it. Hauling ass downhill was basically as it had always been, I could just go faster with more suspension.

But jumps with a full suspension bike took me a bit of practice and a few key tips before I got it dialed (not before I got bucked pretty badly in the park, ass over tea kettle…) So here are a few thing I've learned and/or tips from people that helped me get much better. I'm now fully confident at hauling ass down a-line.

- Go fast, faster than you want to… this is easier done by starting on small jumps (recommend the inter-river skills park. Start on the smalls and work your way up)

- Up off the seat, weight centered, feet flat on flat pedals, knees bent, elbows bent and level, pointed out a bit, relax.

- Go fast, look at lip and as you're hitting the tranny, compress (push quickly and fairly hard down with your feet and handlebars), then just as you approach the lip, use the compress to give yourself a little pop off the lip (kinda just uncompressing) - now look at your landing while you suck the bike up into yourself… after the pop off the lip, for a split second you and bike will feel a bit distant, but since you've compressed, then popped, the bike is (should be) rising. This is where "don't be a dead sailor" comes into play. Which means, don't just compress, pop and then wait… compress, pop and "suck" the bike up. Eventually, this will all feel and become one motion and you'll learn to play with its basic parts to adapt to different jumps or set yourself up for different tricks.

- The best thing anyone every told me was to "actively" jump, don't let the bike jump you, you jump the bike, keep control of it, by doing the above, that is exactly what you'll be doing - push, pop, suck

- Also, I find, when jumping, like when riding, look at where you want to go… look at the middle of the lip, then look at the landing.

- Push, pop and suck, don't try to do to much of anything else yet… once you're comfortable and are nailing your hits, then start worrying about your style. I realized quickly and painfully that even so much as dropping an elbow in the air or at the wrong time when you're not used to controlling you bike in the air, can have bad side effects!

Take it easy, have fun!

June 2, 2010, 6:56 a.m.

When you guys say compress, pop, suck… how exactly do you initiate this sucking motion? I'm having a hard time fitting my head around that, because I don't see how the legs generate a force that lifts the bike. And I have tried it, but each time all I'm doing is lifting my feet off the pedals.:dead:

June 2, 2010, 2:39 p.m.

I think, and I could be wrong, it means to go frog like and let the bike ride up high towards the crotch, ie. allowing the bike to suck close into your torso. You can also curl your toes to generate some lift on the peddles and then roll your wrists to pick the back end up and get the front end pointed down and in the right direction.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

June 2, 2010, 2:45 p.m.

A tug on the rear brake in mid air can help get the front wheel pointed back down to where you want it.

Helps a bit, but you have to be careful how you use it!

It wont help the front wheel but it will bring the back end down if you're aren't already ass over tea kettle.

I says, wot??

Physics suggests otherwise.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 2, 2010, 2:46 p.m.

wow i know how to jump and all the advice in this thread is even confusing me.

-go jump jump jump and then jump some more. Good old fashion practice

June 2, 2010, 2:50 p.m.

So the idea behind the rear wheel tap is that you use the rotation mass or momentum in the wheel to lever the front down?

I presume messing with the front just sends you to hospital. :)

Yup, it rotates the front down. I use that once or twice a day a Whistler where I mess up the take off.

To be geekishly technical, it rotates the entire bike/rider combo around its center of mass. A light tap is all you need to correct orientation when your rear wheel is way too low. Too much and you'll just make things go from bad to worse.

Tapping front brake will be somewhat similar, but taking rotational momentum away from the front wheel is bad for landings!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 4, 2010, 12:36 p.m.

you need to relax in the air and let your body naturally adjust and tweak so you don't eat shit. That, and loading, popping, and actively jumping will help. Perhaps however your just retarded? :)

If you lack the testicles it is going to take to actually try jumping something worthy of the effort, I would strongly recommend Tequilla…. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3950887155785184196#

insert catchy phrase here.

June 4, 2010, 1:22 p.m.

you need to relax in the air and let your body naturally adjust and tweak so you don't eat shit. That, and loading, popping, and actively jumping will help. Perhaps however your just retarded? :)

If you lack the testicles it is going to take to actually try jumping something worthy of the effort, I would strongly recommend Tequilla…. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3950887155785184196#

lol

i saw this thread and thought about how to awnswer and thought naw…..to intangible to awnswer….but i think you just about summed it up in a jimmy Hendrix kinda way

here i go, last time i checked i could hit most transitions in Whisnar, two years before that i could not hit Jack freight train…on a MTB anyway.

the aha moment that got me "whippen" (not dave M style) was when i learned to pree load my suspension and leave jump as separate entity from bike….sounds cosmic i know. But law of physics states once set in motion stays in motion. So if you leave the jump as the dominant physically mass and fixed on a set projectory you will be the planet controlling your satellite(bike) bike becomes inconsequential and more a tool of expression.

I hope this is understandable

http://www.northshorebikeshop.com/

June 4, 2010, 1:34 p.m.

lol

i saw this thread and thought about how to awnswer and thought naw…..to intangible to awnswer….but i think you just about summed it up in a jimmy Hendrix kinda way

here i go, last time i checked i could hit most transitions in Whisnar, two years before that i could not hit Jack freight train…on a MTB anyway.

the aha moment that got me "whippen" (not dave M style) was when i learned to pree load my suspension and leave jump as separate entity from bike….sounds cosmic i know. But law of physics states once set in motion stays in motion. So if you leave the jump as the dominant physically mass and fixed on a set projectory you will be the planet controlling your satellite(bike) bike becomes inconsequential and more a tool of expression.

I hope this is understandable

http://www.northshorebikeshop.com/

So…jump the bike, don't let the bike jump you.

That's how I look at it.

Bicycles!

June 4, 2010, 1:42 p.m.

So…jump the bike, don't let the bike jump you.

That's how I look at it.

Dude!……

please don't diminish my spiritual explanation of a jump into one short sentace…..

even if true.