Hunters shoot MTB riding couple's samoyed puppy

Nov. 24, 2004, 11:17 a.m.

Originally posted by JSinclair
**I think if you are going to hunt, at least give the animal a fighting chance. Take em down with a bowie knife…that makes you a MAN. Shooting something from miles away, when it doesn't even know you're there…that just seems cheap.

Hopefully he runs into a hunting friend like the guy in the States…natural selection baby. **

I have an uncle who hunts elk with a bow and arrow, he's managed to shoot only one animal in about ten years. I think it evens the odds out a bit… (Maybe he walks really loudly too? :D ). And yes, he uses the whole animal, it gets eaten. He's not a trophy hunter.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Nov. 24, 2004, 11:47 a.m.

Originally posted by LeeLau
The "trail" the hikers/bikers were on was the main fsr going from Ivey Road.

Thanks for the clarification. It's good to know that you can always count on the media to get things wrong.

Come to think of it, the news footage showed a pretty wide access/fire road.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Nov. 24, 2004, 12:03 p.m.

Originally posted by sanrensho
**Thanks for the clarification. It's good to know that you can always count on the media to get things wrong.

Come to think of it, the news footage showed a pretty wide access/fire road. **

In the news footage the two Woodruffs were being shown with the fire road and they said they were at the corner and let their dog run ahead. Then they heard a shot ahead of them.

The news article then quotes the Woodruffs as saying that the hunters are in the Overnight Sensation area. I'm confused about that as OS is about 2km up the road and probably 600m plus elevation above the fire road which the TV showed. OS is towards the paraglider area

Nov. 24, 2004, 12:06 p.m.

Originally posted by r3volution
I saw that on the news yesterday. It's fucking sad to think that someone could do that and not have a guilty conscience:mad:

people that kill animals for sport tend not to have much of a conscience at all in my expereince.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 24, 2004, 12:55 p.m.

Found another version of the story.

http://www.bcctv.ca/topnews.jsp?id=

/news/stories/2004/11/news-20041122-01.htm

For some reason, I can't get this URL to be a link.

You'll have to cut and past the link back together. I think the emoticon finder is messing it up due to the = / being next to each other in the URL.

Nov. 24, 2004, 1:01 p.m.

I got a buddy who hunts with a flintlock which is only good for about 100 yards ,he has shot deer but never a moose.

According to news reports they believe it was hunters but really all we know for certain is someone with a gun shot a dog…truly unfortunate

lotsa people up here hunt ,and accidentley run down game on the road,its a way different lifestyle up north. but unless you quit buying meat at safeway where you have in effect paid somebody to kills it for ya there isnt much of a valid argument against hunting IMO.

BTW, I don't hunt never have

Nov. 24, 2004, 1:48 p.m.

Originally posted by CraigH
**Found another version of the story.

http://www.bcctv.ca/topnews.jsp?id=

/news/stories/2004/11/news-20041122-01.htm

For some reason, I can't get this URL to be a link.

You'll have to cut and past the link back together. I think the emoticon finder is messing it up due to the = / being next to each other in the URL. **

here it is

_Dog Killed By Hunter

November 22, 2004

Concerns are being raised about a trail in Pemberton that is popular with both mountain bikers and hunters. A couple had the unthinkable happen this weekend: their eight-month-old puppy was shot to death while they were on the trail.

It happened Saturday afternoon. Veronica and James Woodruff were mountain biking. Their purebred samoyed "Silva" ran ahead and disappeared.

They called and whistled for Silva and then heard a shot. James Woodruff found his dog lying down an enbankment. Silva had been shot in the chest.

Veronica believes Silva was deliberately shot because hunters don't like dogs spooking the deer. Police have interviewed eight hunters in their search for Silva's killer. _

Nov. 24, 2004, 2:02 p.m.

Originally posted by synchro
people that kill animals for sport tend not to have much of a conscience at all in my expereince.

wrong. nothing wrong with hunting at all. I have gone hunting many times but still have a conscience. People enjoy diffrent things who cares. As for idiots who shoot bears, dears or other animals for just one piece of the animal so that some dumbfuck in china can think his little pecker is hard ……………….thats having no conscience. The guys who shot the dog most likely heard or thought it was someother type of animal. Maybe a fox, wolf who knows. It no excuse I know that and these guys should have there guns and liscences taken away.

Get the wife beater out….bucket spunk

Nov. 24, 2004, 3:11 p.m.

Believe it or not, we were in the exact area, and harookz heard the gun shot! We got stopped at the bottom by the cops, cuz they thought we were hunters, until they saw the bikes. Didnt realize what it was for, until we saw the news!

Nov. 24, 2004, 3:19 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone I went to school with:rolleyes:

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Nov. 24, 2004, 3:51 p.m.

Originally posted by fr33k
wrong. nothing wrong with hunting at all. I have gone hunting many times but still have a conscience. People enjoy diffrent things who cares. As for idiots who shoot bears, dears or other animals for just one piece of the animal so that some dumbfuck in china can think his little pecker is hard ……………….thats having no conscience. The guys who shot the dog most likely heard or thought it was someother type of animal. Maybe a fox, wolf who knows. It no excuse I know that and these guys should have there guns and liscences taken away.

this is a debate with no answer. i agree with what someone else said, how is hiding behind cover with a highpowered rifle "sport"? i just don't understnad the fascination with going out and shooting animals for fun.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 24, 2004, 4:12 p.m.

Originally posted by synchro
this is a debate with no answer. i agree with what someone else said, how is hiding behind cover with a highpowered rifle "sport"? i just don't understnad the fascination with going out and shooting animals for fun.

i'm not a hunter and never will be, but i think that alot of what hunting is about is getting outside and enjoying the outdoors, since 95% of the time they don't get to see any animals. when they do come across an animal that is good to eat they, shoot it, gut it, and hike it out of the forest. it's alot of work, and it's alot more sporting than pulling up to the drive-thru: "i'd like a quarter pounder with cheese."
most hunters are decent people, it's not fair to characterise them by the terrible actions of a few.

it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun

Nov. 24, 2004, 4:22 p.m.

Originally posted by fr33k

Come on man there is no way that somebody thinks this kind of dog looks like a fox or a wolf.

I am not going to get into the argument for or against hunting. But it is truely as sick Fcuking bastard that shot that dog.

A dog like that even if you were pissed drunk cannot be mistaken for anything but a dog.

And I don't give a flying fcuk if the deer you were hunting ever so close to a hiking/biking trail got spooked.

I hope the hunter gets caught, but given Canada's laws, the guy (I am assuming only a guy could be this big of an ass) will likely only have to pay a fine and walk away with a slap on the wrist.

It is a sad, sad world we live in people, it used to be safe to go for a spin with your hound. :swearing:

Woof Woof

Nov. 24, 2004, 4:31 p.m.

local rumor apparently knows who did it , but will take time to complete a thorough investigation that will stand up in court .

unfortunately , the punishment for these sorts of things are usually a joke that just make you wonder what the hell do we have laws for .

Nov. 24, 2004, 5:22 p.m.

Originally posted by patrolskid
**local rumor apparently knows who did it , but will take time to complete a thorough investigation that will stand up in court .

unfortunately , the punishment for these sorts of things are usually a joke that just make you wonder what the hell do we have laws for . **

there's a well-documented connection in psychiatric journals between cruelty to pets (dogs, cats, other small animals) and future propensity towards becoming a serial killer, serial rapist, etc. jeffrey dahmer, john gacy, and others fit this pattern.

When whoever did this is brought to justice I sincerely hope they receive the maximum possible sentence.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)