How to get started in mountain biking?

July 13, 2004, 6:08 p.m.

I was just wondering what suggestions you people have for a beginner mountain biker. I've been on some technical stuff, small drops (2.5 ft), steep descents, urban riding, etc. However, my main problems are finding places to ride at and people to ride with. (I heard one way to improve one's skills is to ride with people who are better than oneself and none of my friends even ride bikes.) Essentially, I would appreciate any information on trails near the southern part of Vancouver and mountain biking clubs.

July 13, 2004, 6:19 p.m.

contact cycling B.C. , or check in with John Henry's , the have organized groups for rides. Other wise just get out there and ride your bike, doesn't really matter where.

cHuck

endorphin junkie

July 13, 2004, 6:33 p.m.

He's right. Get a hold of a shop like JH, and go on one of their group rides. You will never lack somebody to ride with in the lower mainland.

www.joemamma.ca
www.intensecycles.com

July 13, 2004, 7:43 p.m.

you live in Vancouver? there should be no problem finding people to ride with. Hang out at a bike shop for an hour, and see if anyone will ride with you. I guarantee you noone will say no

Sun Peaks is Rockin

July 13, 2004, 8:04 p.m.

You can always post on the ride planning part of the site too! That's how I got people to ride with me! It's so much fun!

I take pictures with a camera

July 13, 2004, 8:49 p.m.

You live in Van and can't find anywhere to ride?

Try living in Vic…

p.s. post in ride planning, and maybe include that you're a n00b. Good luck.

July 13, 2004, 9:06 p.m.

Use nsmb like you might use a dating service.
Present yourself as a cool cat, young and beautiful, owning your own bike and shuttle vehicle and will drive your victi…I mean, riding buddy, all over the place if they'll meet you to ride.
Draw them into your lair:evil:

July 16, 2004, 12:34 a.m.

Originally posted by Loopie
Use nsmb like you might use a dating service.
Present yourself as a cool cat, young and beautiful, owning your own bike and shuttle vehicle and will drive your victi…I mean, riding buddy, all over the place if they'll meet you to ride.
Draw them into your lair:evil:

Very funny!

July 16, 2004, 12:40 a.m.

:lol: Seriously though…even just using this BB alone…you'll find riders to hook up with in no time:)

July 16, 2004, 12:44 a.m.

Yeah, I think I will use the Ride Planning part of this bulletin board. It's too bad I'll have to wait 'til August to go on any major mountain biking trip because of damn exams:(

July 16, 2004, 5:32 a.m.

seriosuly u should have no problem. I live all the way in Plainville,Connecticut and I even found someone to ride with.

lNlOl lMlOlNlElYl-My AntiDrug

July 16, 2004, 7:44 a.m.

Originally posted by Loopie
:lol: Seriously though…even just using this BB alone…you'll find riders to hook up with in no time:)

true. And, I must say, everyone from the board that I've met has been super cool. Hoping to meet some more of you at VPS Fest this weekend.

Basically, bikers rock.:rocker:

I'm quitting organized crime; from now on I'll stick to the regular kind.

July 16, 2004, 8:05 a.m.

Originally posted by math314
I was just wondering what suggestions you people have for a beginner mountain biker. I've been on some technical stuff, small drops (2.5 ft), steep descents, urban riding, etc. However, my main problems are finding places to ride at and people to ride with. (I heard one way to improve one's skills is to ride with people who are better than oneself and none of my friends even ride bikes.) Essentially, I would appreciate any information on trails near the southern part of Vancouver and mountain biking clubs.

Your lack of complete disregard for the proper grammatical use of English has me concerned.

NARC!!!!!!

j/k but you should really concentrate on making more typos, internet abreviations (i.e. j/k, sup, k) and maybe mix in some confused homonyms while your at it ;)

We're riding bicycles!!!

For sale: 5th element spring 425 lbs from a 2003 Bullit $40 shipping incl. PM me.

July 16, 2004, 2:40 p.m.

Originally posted by Slamigo
**Your lack of complete disregard for the proper grammatical use of English has me concerned.

NARC!!!!!!

j/k but you should really concentrate on making more typos, internet abreviations (i.e. j/k, sup, k) and maybe mix in some confused homonyms while your at it ;) **

You're right in that I am a perfectionist when it comes to typing up messages. It's a habit which started because I did not want to errode my keyboarding skills. I was afraid that I might start typing the same way when word processing. By the way, what does NARC mean?

July 16, 2004, 7:01 p.m.

NARC: undercover narcotics officer

you know, 21 Jump Street style.

It works like this:

"Hey there new guy"

"Hello my homies! What is upppp?!! …. yo. By the way, my biatch and I are looking to score some primo weed. Word. Perhaps one of you gangstas would be willing to give me the hook up. We'll just keep it on the down low. I won't be telling Johnny Lawman."

At this point, one of the more astute pot-heads yells out "NARC!!" and everyone runs away…

We're riding bicycles!!!

For sale: 5th element spring 425 lbs from a 2003 Bullit $40 shipping incl. PM me.