How Often Do You Sit Down To Pedle?

April 20, 2006, 10:09 p.m.

For uphill climbs like Fromme, I sit (with the seatposts fully extended) for as long as I can, then, just when I can't feel my legs anymore, I stand up and go for a bit. Repeat as necessary…it keeps the blood flowing good.

Once I get to the top though, the seatposts get slammed right down and the seat isn't used unless I'm waiting for my buddies.

For skinnies I find I can't balance at all sitting down. Definitely wouldn't want to hit a discombobulator sitting down!

Austin

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

April 20, 2006, 10:40 p.m.

The question I have is: how often does Ryder Kasprick sit down to pedal?

Jamie

April 21, 2006, 12:18 a.m.

Hmm, I actually find sitting down when doing skinnies (which you have to pedal on) much easier - like riding a highway divider or something. When the skinny is downhill sloping, I stand up and just roll. I thinkt the reason I sit down when pedaling is because it allows you to have more controlled and balanced pedal rotation so it doesn't throw you off balance.

April 21, 2006, 8:08 a.m.

I ride solely sitting down, especially for freeride/urban assaults.[/QU
I KNOW YOU!

WWW.BICYCLEROCKERS.COM

April 22, 2006, 2:55 a.m.

i think i rode sitting down once… cant quite remember the incedent mus have been a long uphill or something

April 22, 2006, 10:58 a.m.

I would say that one should never sit going down hill. Standing allow you to shift your center of mass around, allowing you to move the bike around much easier. If look at trials riders, who arguably have the best balance/contol over a bike, they always stand. In fact most trials bikes don't even have seats. Up hill (as in going up the road before coming down the trail.) I would say it would depend on the geo of your bike. Being on the saddle you're using the majority of your energy to turn the crank, vs supporting your weight.

Additionally, Standing puts your weight on the pedals (lower center of gravity) instead of on the seat (higher center of gravity). The lower the mass distribution is on any 2 wheeled vehicle, the more stable it is.

Think super/sport motorbikes, the riders barely use the seat, all of the weight is on the pegs. Motocross riders sit down for traction out of the corners, but have most of their weight on the pegs when getting air or going over obstacles because it makes the bike more stable.

Mountainbiking (especially freeride and Dh) are similar to the above, in that if your weight is on the pedals, the mass distribution or contact point is lower down making the bike more stable and giving you more control. you can pivot the bike under you and lean it at more extreme angles without falling over.

That being said, I also miss the 2 cheese burger meal.

April 22, 2006, 4:59 p.m.

Additionally, Standing puts your weight on the pedals (lower center of gravity) instead of on the seat (higher center of gravity). The lower the mass distribution is on any 2 wheeled vehicle, the more stable it is.

Think super/sport motorbikes, the riders barely use the seat, all of the weight is on the pegs. Motocross riders sit down for traction out of the corners, but have most of their weight on the pegs when getting air or going over obstacles because it makes the bike more stable.

Mountainbiking (especially freeride and Dh) are similar to the above, in that if your weight is on the pedals, the mass distribution or contact point is lower down making the bike more stable and giving you more control. you can pivot the bike under you and lean it at more extreme angles without falling over.

That being said, I also miss the 2 cheese burger meal.

The center of gravity is higher when you stand and lower when you sit. Unless your seat is really high up and you position yourself behind and below the saddle when you "stand".

April 22, 2006, 10:22 p.m.

I press the pedal sitting up and standing down.
I peddle standing up and sitting around.
I pedal up and down and round and round.

ooh u masterful wordsmith u u got skills
i myself barely ever sit down while ridng the shore to take a break unless the trail is flat and somwhat smooth

April 23, 2006, 9 a.m.

The center of gravity is higher when you stand and lower when you sit. Unless your seat is really high up and you position yourself behind and below the saddle when you "stand".

Center of gravity is the wrong word…sorry. It's the contact point of the weight on the bike. When standing up the contact point of your weight is the pedals, lower on the bike, making the focus of weight lower, making the bike more stable. Sitting down the contact point of your weight is the seat, higher on the bike, making the focus of weight higher, making the bike less stable. Go to any sportbike website (http://www.groundpilots.com/ , or http://www.sportbikes.com/wwwthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat= ) and seach this topic, believe me it's been covered. Additionally, I think "Twist of the Wrist" by keith Code covers this topic.

April 23, 2006, 10:27 a.m.

you can ride skinnies either way…it simply depends upon how much balance adjustment you are going to need to apply. If you are sitting, your ability to adjust your balance point is limited as a result of your ass being planted. Yes you can still move your upper body and you can stick a leg out if need be, but not as much as if you were standing. Also the length of the "lever arm" (the total combined length of the contact point of your tires to the top of your head) is longer when you are standing, thus the force applied during balance correction is less for the resulting correction applied when you are standing. Got it?

So do it either way but standing is better and easier particularly when you are a noob at the skinnies.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

April 23, 2006, 1:46 p.m.

Center of gravity is the wrong word…sorry. It's the contact point of the weight on the bike. When standing up the contact point of your weight is the pedals, lower on the bike, making the focus of weight lower, making the bike more stable. Sitting down the contact point of your weight is the seat, higher on the bike, making the focus of weight higher, making the bike less stable. Go to any sportbike website (http://www.groundpilots.com/ , or http://www.sportbikes.com/wwwthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat= ) and seach this topic, believe me it's been covered. Additionally, I think "Twist of the Wrist" by keith Code covers this topic.

Yeah to place the normal force lower can increase stability but normal force != center of gravity. However sitting down on a bike when cornering is not at all times a bad idea. Standing up does as you say make it more easy to control the bike.

April 23, 2006, 7:10 p.m.

i dont sit at all, the only exeption being when im ripping down the street.

Remove your seat then. Trust me, You use your seat way more than you think:cry:

April 24, 2006, 1:24 a.m.

is kina nice having a seat..for those..no footer landings… :( …happend to me a few times…ouchies i sit rarely when going down the trail but lots when im lazy and riding up(with seat up of course)

~To Master The Art Of Flying Is To Throw Yourself At The Ground And Miss~
[email protected]

PSP FOR SALE

April 24, 2006, 2:30 p.m.

you can ride skinnies either way…it simply depends upon how much balance adjustment you are going to need to apply. If you are sitting, your ability to adjust your balance point is limited as a result of your ass being planted. Yes you can still move your upper body and you can stick a leg out if need be, but not as much as if you were standing. Also the length of the "lever arm" (the total combined length of the contact point of your tires to the top of your head) is longer when you are standing, thus the force applied during balance correction is less for the resulting correction applied when you are standing. Got it?

So do it either way but standing is better and easier particularly when you are a noob at the skinnies.

Well put.

April 24, 2006, 10:21 p.m.

only when riding uphill or i get bored/tired

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=%22frm+productions%22&so=0&start=0