How many times you visit the hospital after a ride?

March 6, 2021, 7:12 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Posted by: FLATCH

After 20+ years it’s been, a complete rupture of my Achilles’ tendon, a broken wrist, and the worst one mentally was a busted up face, broken orbital bone, nose and jaw. Between those and my pacemaker I have more titanium in my body than I’ve had on any of my bikes.

A buddy smashed his face really badly skateboarding- that shit  looks tough to go through. The wired jaw sounds like a nightmare and having your face fucked up really messes with your head.

Yeah it sucked. My jaw wasn’t wired shut . Instead they installed four little screws, two on top and two on the lower. Then two really tight rubber bands. That said eating was an adventure. Only things that I could sip through a straw or off the end of a teaspoon. One night my wife ordered Chinese for her and the kids. It was such torture that I put some in the blender. Worst Chinese food ever.

March 6, 2021, 10:11 a.m.

Four bike/mtb trips in total - shoulda been five

First was on my new BMX bike when I was about 12 and it was my first bike with rim brakes instead of a coaster brake - I'm sure you know where this is going... So I'm going down the hill towards my friends place to show him the new bike and go for a ride he's already out in the front yard. I figure I'll be cool and pull a big power skid in front of his house and grab a mit full of front brake and instantly turn into superman. Hands meet cheese grater. The worst part about these sorts of things is getting the gravel scrubbed out of your flesh, and of course not being able to use your hands very much for the next week or so. For a 12 year old boy this is a hard thing to deal with. 

Round two is many years later and doing a lawn dart impression of an elevated structure. In hindsight continuing the ride was not smart and after another 2-3 minutes I realized I should probably go to the hospital as my right arm/hand was starting to go numb. Luckily nothing showed up broken or damaged on the MRI, doc said I just had what they called a stinger or temp nerve damage. Thankfully my left hand was fully operational till the right healed up.

Third was stitches after putting a chainsaw into my leg - glad it was just the small saw. No injured hands but the hit on the leg was a bit close to the jewels for comfort.

Fourth was a bail on Ragdoll, I went OTB on the rockface/chute and as I went down my left hand clipped the rock and when I stood up I knew I was hurt. When I look at my left had my pink and ring finger were at 90 degrees to where they should have been. When I pulled them back into place they made a sound like a cotton tshirt tearing. I probably should of gone to the hospital, but ya know bro courage with my riding buddies staring at my hand and saying you should get that looked at meant nah, I'm all good. I couldn't grip anything for a couple of weeks so thank goodness for the right hand being ok.

The "best" one was from riding my bike to high school. It was winter time and I'd just come out of the house so I've got my head down and am breathing into my jacket to try and keep my face warm and at the same time looking down at my pedals to get my feet into my toe clips. I thought I was coasting straight down the street but I drifting at a slight angle and I ended up bumping into a neighbour's car. It was just a slight bump, but because I had my head down my hands just automatically shot out in front of me to break my fall. Problem is the car was a Firechicken, with louvres on the back window - ya know kinda life Venetian blinds people used to put on the back windows on the outside of their cars? Anyway as I fell forward the pink and ring finger on the right had went into the louvers. When I went to push myself up after falling down I knew my hand was hurt and I tell people the whitest thing you will ever see is your own bone sticking out of your body. In falling forward the ring finger had gotten trapped between two of the louvres and it snapped the bone between the two knuckles and just pulled the end of my finger off. When I saw my hand that's when I started yelling. One of the kids that lived next door was autistic and he would often run around just yelling and screaming for no reason. My mom was still asleep but she heard the yelling and woke up and thought what the hell is that kid up to at this hour of the morning. Then the yelling go closer and sounded like it was coming from the house. Before I went into the house tho I had the presence of mind to grab the end of my finger that was stuck in the louvres. The tendon that attaches to the tip of your finger tore right out of the muscle in my forearm, so when I grabbed the finger there was like 12" of tendon hanging out of it, like a string of linguine. I put the finger in the palm of hand, picked up my bike with my other hand and walked the 50ft or so to my basement door. When I got inside for some reason I thought to grab an empty ice cream bucket lid from the storage room to put under my hand so I would drip blood all over the house. Then mom took me to the hospital - it was like a 5 drive. The person I felt the worst for that day was actually the nurse at the hospital. I had been clutching my right hand with the left to stop the bleeding and to make sure I didn't drop the end of my finger. When I went to get on the exam table I sat on the edge and put my left leg up and then went to swing my right leg up as I didn't have my hands to support me. As I swung my right leg up I caught the nurse right between the legs, like punting a football. Did I mention the nurse happened to be male? So there I am with a severed finger and the nurse is on the floor trying to get his wind back after just getting kicked in the junk. I think it was a Monday too.

March 6, 2021, 11:10 a.m.

Oh shit, are we doing pre-mtb bike injuries too?  My list is getting longer...

March 6, 2021, 11:30 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Oh shit, are we doing pre-mtb bike injuries too?  My list is getting longer...

haha - if we go way back my mom was on a first name basis with the staff at the local hospital for how often she had to take me in there.

March 6, 2021, 12:04 p.m.

Jesus Christ you guys are lucky to be alive. 

After a day of pumping each other up to hit a sketchy gap and us casing it and flatting repeatedly, ironically I ate it rolling back onto the climbing road at Fromme. Separated shoulder that hurt so bad- and probably the worst mtb injury I've had.

Most injuries over the years were oddly surfing related- shattered knee, fractured vertebrae, ruptured patellar tendon, knocked unconscious, stitches four times, anaphylaxtic shock from jellyfish which was the scariest.

Conclusive evidence of my safety experiment is MTB is perfectly safe, but stay the fuck away from the ocean.

Last edited by: Hepcat on March 6, 2021, 2:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 6, 2021, 4:12 p.m.

Grew up racing bmx, so a lot. And in 2015 did my spleen in at the WBP and spent 5 nights at Lions Gate. That was the best one

March 6, 2021, 8:05 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Round two is many years later and doing a lawn dart impression of an elevated structure. In hindsight continuing the ride was not smart and after another 2-3 minutes I realized I should probably go to the hospital as my right arm/hand was starting to go numb. Luckily nothing showed up broken or damaged on the MRI, doc said I just had what they called a stinger or temp nerve damage. Thankfully my left hand was fully operational till the right healed up.

Ahh good times

March 6, 2021, 11:47 p.m.

That was the best part

March 7, 2021, 8:01 a.m.

Syncro, assuming from that MRI Pic that you lost the right ring finger in the end?

Last edited by: mammal on March 7, 2021, 8:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 10, 2021, 1:52 p.m.

Stitches to the face. Branch too low and I’m too tall. 

Stitches in calf. Brooklyn shin burgers 

Broken foot. Foot slipped off pedal and jammed toes into ground. 

Bee sting. Never allergic before. Thank god I was close to an access road the the ambulance could get down or I would not be here. Don’t remember anything for about 5 hours.

March 10, 2021, 3:30 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Syncro, assuming from that MRI Pic that you lost the right ring finger in the end?

Yeah, when I was in the hospital the doc said they weren't going to bother reattaching it as it was not a very important finger. More importantly tho, because the tendon ripped off from the muscle in my forearm they would have had to slice me open to almost my elbow and there was no guarantee I would regain full function. With that there was a risk that I could end up damaging the finger and my hand again from catching it on something. There's really only two time when it's a bother. One is putting change in my pocket, if I'm not careful it can slip through the gap of a closed hand. The other more noticeable issue is grip strength. My pinky has compensated a bit, but in the gym my grip strength endurance on my right hand is not as good as on my left even though I am right handed. It's not a huge difference, but I do notice it sometimes when I'm doing heavy lifting.

March 31, 2021, 11:37 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Yeah, when I was in the hospital the doc said they weren't going to bother reattaching it as it was not a very important finger. More importantly tho, because the tendon ripped off from the muscle in my forearm they would have had to slice me open to almost my elbow and there was no guarantee I would regain full function. With that there was a risk that I could end up damaging the finger and my hand again from catching it on something. There's really only two time when it's a bother. One is putting change in my pocket, if I'm not careful it can slip through the gap of a closed hand. The other more noticeable issue is grip strength. My pinky has compensated a bit, but in the gym my grip strength endurance on my right hand is not as good as on my left even though I am right handed. It's not a huge difference, but I do notice it sometimes when I'm doing heavy lifting.

Well, I'm super glad it doesn't bother you much these days. I have to say, picturing that mechanism of injury is one of the most grotesque things that have run through my mind. Absolutely brutal to have to process that level of carnage.

March 31, 2021, 8:22 p.m.

Well, I'm super glad it doesn't bother you much these days. I have to say, picturing that mechanism of injury is one of the most grotesque things that have run through my mind. Absolutely brutal to have to process that level of carnage.

Yeah, I have to say reading that post did not give me good feelings.  Gruesome.  My biking related injuries seem very ho-hum in comparison.  My worst biking injury was being hit by a car - or more accurately T-boning a car that turned left in front of me.  I came to briefly while in one of those MRI machines.  I was still on a spine board and people were climbing in to try and roll me on my side because apparently I had started vomiting.  First clear & present memories from that incident are from a day or two later in hospital.  I can remember people talking to me, but I could not see for awhile so the memories are not very clear.

April 1, 2021, 12:01 a.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

Yeah, I have to say reading that post did not give me good feelings.  Gruesome.  My biking related injuries seem very ho-hum in comparison.  My worst biking injury was being hit by a car - or more accurately T-boning a car that turned left in front of me.  I came to briefly while in one of those MRI machines.  I was still on a spine board and people were climbing in to try and roll me on my side because apparently I had started vomiting.  First clear & present memories from that incident are from a day or two later in hospital.  I can remember people talking to me, but I could not see for awhile so the memories are not very clear.

If that's what you call "ho hum," i'd hate to see scary! That sounds awful. Hope you recovered all your marbles - your head must have really been rung. What did your helmet look like?

April 1, 2021, 12:06 a.m.

On my brief foray on to flat pedals I slipped a pedal and split my left shin down to the bone, 4 inch gash roughly, bone fully visible on the trail, I can attest to syncros comment about your own bone being the whitest thing you'll ever see, destroyed my favorite tattoo, not ideal.

Jumped off a failed skinny on Pipeline, rolled my left ankle extremely badly and felt a crazy bad crunch in the foot, swollen like a football, thought for sure it was broken, xrays, doc said bruised bone from 2 bones in the foot slamming together but no break, couldn't put weight on it or wear shoes for like a week and a half.

OTB over 20 years ago on to a tree stump, fractured ribs, can't remember how many.

Last edited by: thaaad on April 1, 2021, 12:07 a.m., edited 1 time in total.