How many times you visit the hospital after a ride?

June 17, 2020, 8:32 p.m.

Posted by: BuggSuperstar

Broken ankle and dislocated shoulder on Fromme 3 years ago. The shoulder remained out all the way to the hospital (carried down on the giant wheel barrow stretcher). Luckily I had a friend with me and someone else gave me an emergency blanket.  Good times.

Sounds like a nightmare.

I used to ride with a guy who's wife seemed to joke about picking him up from the ER. On about our fourth ride with him, I was driving him in his car to the ER. His wife then made it clear that she wasn't actually kidding. The worst was the time he broke both wrists and she had to wipe his ass for a month!

If my wife had to wipe my ass for a month, that would have been the end of my mtb days.

June 20, 2020, 11:39 p.m.

🤣

Now THAT is a nightmare! Poor guy!

Yeah my crash wasn’t pretty, the recovery was a real adventure with my arm in a sling and leg in a cast- couldn’t use crutches. I did rent one of those knee scooters and upgraded to the all-terrain wheels though, unfortunately they didn’t have a carbon option or disc brakes.

June 26, 2020, 4 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

wow. what kind of dance and gymnastics do you do? serious questions.

Disco! Boney M Rasputin - missed the edge of the stage with a cossack kick during a goofy bar competition and tore my ACL* (still won though)

Parallel bars. Fell through backwards onto my head and got a bad concussion

* Uncle Dave would probably say I deserved it for being in any way associated with disco

Last edited by: taprider on June 26, 2020, 4:03 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 3, 2021, 9:58 p.m.

Way too many times, it hurts my Brain to think about it.

March 4, 2021, 4:47 a.m.

After 20+ years it’s been, a complete  rupture of my Achilles’ tendon, a broken wrist, and the worst one mentally was a busted up face, broken orbital bone, nose and jaw. Between those and my pacemaker I have more titanium in my body than I’ve had on any of my bikes.

March 4, 2021, 11 a.m.

21 years of mtb, and the only emerg/clinic trips directly resulting have been for stitches (3 or 4 times, 2 of them from WBP). 

Now that said, I've neglected going to the hospital a few times, as I didn't deem them important enough. One hard shoulder compression during my DH racing days (I think in Fernie), not separated, but it started haunting me again at around age 35. In the last year+ I've cracked a bone in my thumb and one in my pinky toe, and both took forever to heal but eventually did so on their own.

Now on to knocking on all the wood possible, as that seems like a pretty easy-going laundry list.

March 4, 2021, 3:52 p.m.

Posted by: taprider

For me, dancing and gymnastics are more dangerous, than biking or skiing

No kidding, dancing can often lead to children, the most dangerous creatures possible.

March 4, 2021, 4:02 p.m.

In 29 years of mountain bikin’ (oooof, my back hurts after typing that) I’ve been to the hospital for:

- stitches for the knee.  Hitched a ride with a rando with a truck to the hospital, bros kept Bikin. Left before seeing the dr as it took too long so I’m not sure that counts.  

- 2 broken metatarsals. Also might not count because the Whistler clinic isn’t technically a hospital (particularly in 2000)

- Skiiers thumb. This resulted in a half-dozen hospital trips to fix. Way beyond the capacities of the Whistler Clinic  

- Concussion check a couple times. In the 90’s the triage nurse just took care of this one for me!  Concussion science has changed...

- Broken vertebrae (2) plus associated injuries. Hot tip: start groaning seriously enough to make the paramedic uncomfortable and you’ll get through triage way faster!

Nothing (for Bikin) since that one, I ride VERY differently now 😳

March 4, 2021, 4:04 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

After 20+ years it’s been, a complete rupture of my Achilles’ tendon, a broken wrist, and the worst one mentally was a busted up face, broken orbital bone, nose and jaw. Between those and my pacemaker I have more titanium in my body than I’ve had on any of my bikes.

A buddy smashed his face really badly skateboarding- that shit  looks tough to go through. The wired jaw sounds like a nightmare and having your face fucked up really messes with your head.

Last edited by: tashi on March 4, 2021, 4:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 4, 2021, 4:12 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

If my wife had to wipe my ass for a month, that would have been the end of my mtb days.

I hear what you’re saying but my wife had to wipe my but for a couple weeks and bathe me for almost three months and she wasn’t even my wife yet.

Even after that (and all the other nonsense) she wanted me back on the bike almost as much as I did, with fewer hang ups about it.

They just want us to be happy really. Although I’m sure she’d do it again if she had to I have my doubts about a third time. I changed my ways a bit to decrease the odds of it happening again though.

March 5, 2021, 11:37 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

- Broken vertebrae (2) plus associated injuries. Hot tip: start groaning seriously enough to make the paramedic uncomfortable and you’ll get through triage way faster!

Ah yes, the infamous day at the Juan de Fuca BMX track, correct? Horrifying.

March 5, 2021, 12:21 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Ah yes, the infamous day at the Juan de Fuca BMX track, correct? Horrifying.

Yeah man, sorry you had see that!

Z3’s we’re not strong enough for a dirt jumper...

March 5, 2021, 12:55 p.m.

Holy cow....I just had a few concussions and xrays to make sure that nothing was broken. 

In my skateboarding days I twisted my ankles and knees more ways I can count....tore that small muscle on the back of my neck while training for a bboy competition, knocked me out during powermoves and cracked a few ribs trying to fly through the air in style. 

Biking...seems as if I have been lucky.

March 5, 2021, 9:30 p.m.

Posted by: taprider

For me, dancing and gymnastics are more dangerous, than biking or skiing

No kidding, dancing can often lead to children, the most dangerous creatures possible.

what song is behind your story?

March 5, 2021, 9:36 p.m.

Posted by: mammal
 I've cracked a bone in my thumb and one in my pinky toe, and both took forever to heal but eventually did so on their own.

I've done the cracked thumb too.  Took a short cut through a Kentucky Fried Chicken parking lot on a sunny dry day, pavement looked fine, but was covered in a mist of grease from the cooking vent (surprisingly no road rash though).