How many times you visit the hospital after a ride?

How many times have you had to get checked out at the hospital after a ride?

Never
16.3%
1-3
51.2%
4-10
25.6%
10-20
7.0%
over 20
0%
Total votes: 43
June 13, 2020, 10:57 p.m.

A couple of threads are speaking of mitigating risk while riding.

This got me wondering how common it is for any of you to visit the ER after a ride. Any great stories out there that we can all learn from?

June 14, 2020, 12:05 a.m.

After every ride I head to the hospital, just to have a full body inspection. I want to make sure that even the most minor of scratches doesn't get infected. Plus, i may get a little bit of a rash from wearing my chamois for too long after finishing a ride, so that could cause some sort of issue as well. I am a mountian biker, but dammit, I can't be carefull enough about my health after I have completed a ride, thank goodness for universal health care in Canada, so I can make all of my paranoia a reality....

June 15, 2020, 12:39 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

, the healing time is just too fucking long anymore.

Ain't that the truth. 

I think the worst thing about the wounds is having your wife yell at you when you ruin the sheets when the blood leaks through your bandage.

June 15, 2020, 10:41 a.m.

The answer to your question is meaningless without some context.  I've been mtbing for over 25 years, been to hospital 3 times.  Never since 2009.   Other than those three, worst incident was a visit to a walk-in clinic to get 9 stitches in my calf.

But a person who just started riding 5 years ago that's been to the hosp 3 times would check the same box in your poll.

June 15, 2020, 1:49 p.m.

Once, when i slid out on gravel riding my bike at age 12 and broke my wrist. None since I started mountain biking seriously about 7 years ago. Did take a ride down Whistler in the meat wagon after a bad OTB on No Joke but didn't bother getting checked out at the clinic in Whistler as I was confident it was a minor shoulder separation (it was).

I probably ride more cautiously than I should, but I really do not like crashing or being injured with a young kid at home.

June 15, 2020, 2:56 p.m.

Three times for stitches. Once for broken collarbone. Once for concussion check.

Definitely recommend the clinic at Lonsdale/19th medical clinic for minor injuries up to a concussion. They'll see you immediately rather than the multi hour wait at Lions Gate Emergency. Plus they're open late and deal with mountain bikers all the time.

http://www.lonsdaleclinic.com/

June 15, 2020, 6:34 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Three times for stitches. Once for broken collarbone. Once for concussion check.

Definitely recommend the clinic at Lonsdale/19th medical clinic for minor injuries up to a concussion. They'll see you immediately rather than the multi hour wait at Lions Gate Emergency. Plus they're open late and deal with mountain bikers all the time.

Thanks for that tip. Ya Lionsgate is a nightmare for a minor injury.

June 15, 2020, 7:54 p.m.

Not very often. In 37 years of off road I think I’ve sought medical assistance four times. I broke a finger tip, took off the top of that finger including all the nail and needed 12 stitches in my knee from a race crash. 

Came off in another race and a few hours later my sternum hurt and only got worse. Saw my doctor and he thought it was some sort of ligament damage to the sternum. 

Jumped off on a climb, landed on my feet but caught a small stump on my side and broke 4 ribs. Went the Lions Gate. 

And a couple years ago I dislocated a finger. Went to Whistler emerg And later to St Paul’s.

June 15, 2020, 9:38 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Posted by: craw

Thanks for that tip. Ya Lionsgate is a nightmare for a minor injury.

Although I have not been there, another option recently opened on Esplanade:

North Vancouver Urgent and Primary Care Centre

221 Esplanade W Suite 200, North Vancouver, BC V7L 1A5

(604) 973-1600

https://goo.gl/maps/RbR2yT1fE6gJLtBfA

Last edited by: heckler on June 15, 2020, 9:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 16, 2020, 2:48 p.m.

Twice in ~35 years of mountain biking. Once for a dislocated finger and once for a broken collarbone at Whistler.  Not bad stats and a small price to pay for so many good times on a bike. I consider myself lucky.

June 16, 2020, 5:51 p.m.

My last (well, so far) hospital visit was due to going OTB into helmet... Farting around on the footpath on the way to meet up for the ride.

Ambulance was going past, saw me bin it and stopped to take me along. Smoothest concussion treatment ever.

June 16, 2020, 10:43 p.m.

Broken bones in 2001 and 2004, big slice on my calf in 2011, minor sprain in 2016, so average once every 5 years? I'll take it I guess

June 16, 2020, 11:53 p.m.

Broken ankle and dislocated shoulder on Fromme 3 years ago. The shoulder remained out all the way to the hospital (carried down on the giant wheel barrow stretcher). Luckily I had a friend with me and someone else gave me an emergency blanket.  Good times.

June 17, 2020, 9:19 a.m.

For me, dancing and gymnastics are more dangerous, than biking or skiing

June 17, 2020, 11:18 a.m.

Riding here for 4 years I guess now, I did my collar bone just after year 1 (IME the learning curve is steep here on the shore especially for people starting as adults). 

Since then a couple near misses but no more hospital trips. I seem to break some ribs or do a major sprain on a couple fingers or wrist once a year but that's not hospital worthy.