How low is the snow?

Jan. 13, 2022, 9:22 a.m.

Yep, my sights are locked on Saturday. I'll let my pent-up crazies out with some Cypress Nordic this evening.

Jan. 13, 2022, 12:29 p.m.

Guessing trails will be saturated from the snow/ice melt? In the same boat as you guys, gonna go change a flat tube on my road bike and maybe go for a Stanley Park rip this afternoon. Hoping to hit lower Seymour on the weekend. Looks like more rain Sunday through Thursday next week.

Jan. 13, 2022, 12:43 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Yep, my sights are locked on Saturday. I'll let my pent-up crazies out with some Cypress Nordic this evening.

Put on the slush wax.

Jan. 13, 2022, 1:32 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

Put on the slush wax.

For sure. +4/-4 Has me pretty well covered most of the time.

Jan. 13, 2022, 3:04 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

Put on the slush wax.

For sure. +4/-4 Has me pretty well covered most of the time.

May head up for a couple laps tonight also...... Working from home tomorrow so gunna do a quick rip up lower breamar for lunch break and see what the dealio is.

Jan. 13, 2022, 4 p.m.

We got so much precipitation lately that even the roads are still wet. That being said it was like 12' and lovely conditions for the first road rip of the year around Stanley Park. Saw the barge for the first time.

Jan. 13, 2022, 4:06 p.m.

Seymour below the power lines is snow free. Corkscrew has some death patches, power lines was slush. Pingu was good, Pangor was a river in the usual places, Severed clear, GSM clear. Lots of branches & debris everywhere. Some trees down too, so best to look before you leap.

Jan. 14, 2022, 8:40 a.m.

Posted by: mudhoney

Seymour below the power lines is snow free. Corkscrew has some death patches, power lines was slush. Pingu was good, Pangor was a river in the usual places, Severed clear, GSM clear. Lots of branches & debris everywhere. Some trees down too, so best to look before you leap.

Thanks Mudhoney! That's the intel I was waiting for. Saturday Seymour excitement... Building.

Jan. 15, 2022, 2:15 p.m.

Yesterday I climbed the Fromme climbing trail to the lower Executioner intersection. All good.

Jan. 16, 2022, 6:21 p.m.

In contrast, Fisherman's trail and Twin Bridges are both still covered in ice...

Jan. 17, 2022, 8:38 a.m.

Cypress the BLT has a bit of snow on it at the Roach/Tall Cans entrance but the trails are running well. In related news there's a pop-up thing at the base of Cypress at the first switchback with beer and pizza and wash stations for your bike(!!). This is a nice treat at the end of your ride. I saw more old guys shuttling Knollys wearing old Dainese than I had in a while. And for a moment, all seemed right in the world. Get in there and ride those lower trails before the real construction begins.

Jan. 20, 2022, 8:29 a.m.

Anyone have intel on Vedder? I have some friends that want to do a shuttle day, but I'm not overly familiar with the trails and what little trailforks reports that are up look dicey at the moment. I don't want to commit if it's going to suck.

Jan. 20, 2022, 9:14 a.m.

Anyone familiar with the current snow situation in Squamish? Perhaps the Alice Lake area is clear?

Jan. 20, 2022, 9:46 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Anyone familiar with the current snow situation in Squamish? Perhaps the Alice Lake area is clear?

I know Squamish got significantly more snow pack than the Shore. At basically sea level, Dream Wizards had to clear 3 or more feet of snow from the pump track, late last week.

This is the trailforks report from Pamplemousse, 3 days ago:

"Closed trail until it melts out and so I can deal with some damage from big dead fall. Please stay off. Snow covered pretty much top bottom (5 to 40cm depending). Best guess is 3 weeks to rideable. Did half a day of saw work and clean up today. Thanks for tackling the brunt of it, Joel. Other 10 hours are from two days pre snow that I didn’t report."

Last edited by: mammal on Jan. 20, 2022, 9:49 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Jan. 20, 2022, 10:24 a.m.

Anyone have intel on Vedder? I have some friends that want to do a shuttle day, but I'm not overly familiar with the trails and what little trailforks reports that are up look dicey at the moment. I don't want to commit if it's going to suck.

I was out in the Valley near Vedder last weekend and was surprised to see quite a bit of snow in the fields (it was so foggy, I couldn't see Sumas or Vedder) but the snow seemed slower to melt out than the shore so good call to make some enquiries...