How important are the Mt Seymour trails within CMHC to you?

Oct. 21, 2016, 8:39 a.m.

Mathew Bond is collating comments from people on how important this area is to you.

You can email him here:
[email protected]

Comment on his original post is here:
https://www.facebook.com/mrmathewbond/posts/680458718795448?comment_id=681033062071347[HTML_REMOVED]notif_t=share_reply[HTML_REMOVED]notif_id=1476987590843967

Or comment here.

These are the questions he would like answered.

Update #5: No Trespassing Signs on Mt. Seymour

This will be the last post for today, but probably the most important. While there is no new information to share, please like and share this post if you are concerned about the future of these trails. When you share, make sure to comment and ask your friends to comment on this original post.

I wanted to respond to a question I've heard from many who have contacted me and said:

"Mathew, what can I do to help?"

CMHC's most recent statement makes it clear that access is prohibited for safety reasons. They also state they will be engaging with interested parties on options for future use and management.

Meetings are being scheduled next week with CMHC. I would like to build a very compelling set of information to make the case on your behalf, and on behalf of all users, that access to these trails should be permitted.

If you use these trails, why do you use them and what does that mean for your life?

If you are part of a group, club or organization that uses these trails, what group are you from and how many members do you have?

If you are a business that relies on these trails, how many people do you employ, how much economic activity do you generate and how will this prohibition affect your business?

If you want to help and you feel comfortable sharing this information publicly, leave your comments below. If not, send me a message and I will treat it with absolute privacy, confidentiality and anonymity, removing any personal information and adding it only to an aggregate of comments.

If you want to help and you want to protect access to these trails, let your elected officials know how and why these trails are so important to you. Contact your MLA and MP. I have myself and will continue to do so.

And again, this is the most important post to like, share, comment on and tag your friends. Let's get the word out how important these trails are to everyone!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Oct. 21, 2016, 10:24 a.m.

I sent Mathew Bond a message on Facebook with my thoughts. Thanks to Councillor Bond for his work advocating for access.

Oct. 21, 2016, 10:43 a.m.

email sent.

Ride, don't slide.

Oct. 22, 2016, 12:10 p.m.

Email also sent

Oct. 23, 2016, 11:35 a.m.

My Mother grew up on the Shore, I was born and raised on the Shore, raised my kid on the Shore, this is just another indication that it is time to leave the Shore. Adios North Van.

Oct. 24, 2016, 9:39 a.m.

FYI emails to [email protected] are getting bounced back. I think his inbox is full…

Oct. 24, 2016, 9:51 a.m.

My wife and I bought in North Van. While I agree with the new taxes and mortgage structures being introduced by the Provincial and Federal Governments, there is something that I think non-trail users and those living in Ottawa don't understand.

If you live anywhere in the lower mainland, chances are you pay a premium rent or mortgage. We don't stay here for the culture, the well designed roads or the disposable income. We stay here for access to the outdoors.

We all put up with a lot of BS. Take away the trails and there is really no reason for me to stay here. I hope the CMHC can see past the value of the land and realize that what is currently there has contributed greatly to the value of homes all over the lower mainland.

Matthew Bond and the NSMBA have my full support.

Oct. 24, 2016, 10:48 a.m.

FYI emails to [email protected] are getting bounced back. I think his inbox is full…

It's probably my toaster. I'll go reboot it and then see if that works.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/602713/how-the-internet-of-things-took-down-the-internet/

Oct. 24, 2016, 11:08 a.m.

My wife and I bought in North Van. While I agree with the new taxes and mortgage structures being introduced by the Provincial and Federal Governments, there is something that I think non-trail users and those living in Ottawa don't understand.

If you live anywhere in the lower mainland, chances are you pay a premium rent or mortgage. We don't stay here for the culture, the well designed roads or the disposable income. We stay here for access to the outdoors.

We all put up with a lot of BS. Take away the trails and there is really no reason for me to stay here. I hope the CMHC can see past the value of the land and realize that what is currently there has contributed greatly to the value of homes all over the lower mainland.

Matthew Bond and the NSMBA have my full support.

+1

Like many others, I've moved here from another part of Canada to accept a lower wage and a higher cost of living solely due to the fact that there are great outdoor amenities (such as the Seymour trails on CMHC land) that are so close to the city.

Oct. 24, 2016, 5:18 p.m.

The primary reason that I am on the North Shore, is for access to the trail network and the mountains. It's not just mountain biking…it's for trail running, walking/hiking with the kids and the dogs, and generally enjoying time off the pavement.

Without that, the North Shore loses it's spirit and it's value.

FYI….email sent…bounce back received.