How do you like Expresso (Espresso?)

June 14, 2011, 7:09 p.m.

Concrete was used on a very popular trail on Fromme.

Probably everyone here has ridden down it and I've never heard a complaint about it…

You'll NEVER guess where it is, but it was one solution to keep the rocks in on this steep section of trail…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 14, 2011, 7:28 p.m.

Point is, I believe that we are getting to a point where you can't ride a trail the way it was designed, you need to build a trail that can withstand the traffic it will likely see.

:???:

If you cant ride the trail the way it was designed..try,try,try again.

Cleaning a trail is supposed to be most part of the game.Tech moves are/were part of the game.

You want easy,predictable trails,wbp might have something to offer.

Pastor of Muppets

June 14, 2011, 7:28 p.m.

RIP bouncy log, it was fun riding doubles on it

I fooking LOVED the bouncy log!!!

So much fun picking up lots of speed down the rock, rail the turn and feed into the bouncy log.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 14, 2011, 7:42 p.m.

Point is, I believe that we are getting to a point where you can't ride a trail the way it was designed, you need to build a trail that can withstand the traffic it will likely see.

that's just giving up - not only as a builder but also as a rider. the solution for what you're talking about already exists - it's called a sidewalk.

i had to comment on this again, it really bugs me.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 14, 2011, 7:44 p.m.

Concrete was used on a very popular trail on Fromme.

Probably everyone here has ridden down it and I've never heard a complaint about it…

You'll NEVER guess where it is, but it was one solution to keep the rocks in on this steep section of trail…

ladies, the little rock chute after the tech R hander around the tree after the a-frame skinny?

June 14, 2011, 7:45 p.m.

ladies, the little rock chute after the tech R hander around the tree after the a-frame skinny?

lower…

June 14, 2011, 9:35 p.m.

lower ladies, first drop, with tree on left, just before the 180 boardwalk… probably saved that tree from certain root destruction.

June 14, 2011, 10:07 p.m.

lower ladies, first drop, with tree on left, just before the 180 boardwalk… probably saved that tree from certain root destruction.

nice.

June 15, 2011, 12:40 a.m.

found old friend on facebook who knows history of espresso's origins.
joe buchar (claire's cousin). waiting to hear back on who he built it with and what year it was.

June 15, 2011, 8:32 a.m.

that's just giving up - not only as a builder but also as a rider. the solution for what you're talking about already exists - it's called a sidewalk.

i had to comment on this again, it really bugs me.

I read my comment and I didn't put enough context in it. What I meant was that a lot of us started riding when the trails were just raked lines in the duff and weren't designed for the traffic that we're seeing now. the odd secret trail that doesn't see many people can be built like that, but you can't expect a trail on Fromme that's on the maps to be able to withstand the abuse. A lot of the trails on the mountain are fall line and very hard to make sustainable. I'm not saying that we need to make the trails smooth and sidewalky, but I am saying that a lot of the trails are just pointlessly rough and chundery for no real reason because of erosion and that's not cool IMO.

June 15, 2011, 9:03 a.m.

armouring is the worst rider experience I can think of, and that's got to account for something. Conversely, all the gold on Pangor was heavenly.

rep +1

:canada:

June 15, 2011, 10:16 a.m.

Rode CBC for my last time ever last night, armouring is the worst rider experience I can think of, and that's got to account for something.

The worst rider experience I can think of is the whole shore being shut down because it rained. The shore evolved this way because of the eco system its built in. As well built as Bobsled is, it is still pummelled after barely a year. You can blame people for riding it all weather as much as you want but at the end of the day, dirt is a high maintenance way of building on the coast.
PS I also freakin' love the Roller Coaster on Pipeline, that thing is amazing.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

June 15, 2011, 10:23 a.m.

The worst rider experience I can think of is the whole shore being shut down because it rained. The shore evolved this way because of the eco system its built in. As well built as Bobsled is, it is still pummelled after barely a year. You can blame people for riding it all weather as much as you want but at the end of the day, dirt is a high maintenance way of building on the coast.
PS I also freakin' love the Roller Coaster on Pipeline, that thing is amazing.

Bobsled was a new style of trail that gave a bit of novelty and a lap can be banged out in under 15min, because of this, it got [HTML_REMOVED]100 riders a day, add in the fact that it was built in a wet period and never let to set properly, and it's going to get bombed. At least there's the DNV trail crew to patch it up as it wears. Dirt may be high maintenance, but it's easy maintenance.
When done right, dirt will be more sustainable, and easier to fix and patch up, and it won't get polished like rock, and people want to ride over dirt, whereas rock will be avoided.

The berm that we worked on at the top of Pangor is looking awesome now people have been on it, it's rock hard and even smoother than before, and that was all dirt.

June 15, 2011, 10:29 a.m.

armouring is the worst rider experience I can think of.

while i understand what you're saying, and do appreciate a silky smooth gold paved trail, i don't have a problem with riding rocked sections. perhaps my experience would be different if i were on shorter travel or a hardtail, but cbc feels pretty good to me on my squishee bikes. i've never really understood the popular distain for that trail (apart from sustainability issues possibly). granted, i'm happy and having fun pretty much any time / any where i'm on two wheels.

June 15, 2011, 10:52 a.m.

if you can't understand the popular distain for CBC then you are obviously not ever riding good trails.
armoring has its place as patches for small sections, that's about it.