horses on Camp Brick singletrack

June 10, 2005, 1:41 p.m.

I don't see the connection between what Statix is saying and Monica/Ernie's NIMBY approach.

Monica and Ernie are calling for a unilateral ban against one user group (bikes). Segregation of trail use and respect for other user groups is not the same thing.

Ernie and Monica don't want to ban biking ("a great, healthy activty" - in fact Ernie himself is a cyclist :dizzy: ). They just think mountain biking should be moved somewhere else (GVRD hinterlands, level paved surfaces and bike parks). Statix is completely justified in being pissed off at what happened, I just respectfully disagree that everyone who rides horse ("the horse crowd") in the LSCR is to blame. Slamming the entire community for the actions of an irresponsible few won't fix this problem, in fact it may make things worse making the considerate equestrians un-cooperative and defiant. But that's just me. D.

June 10, 2005, 2:08 p.m.

Ernie and Monica don't want to ban biking ("a great, healthy activty" - in fact Ernie himself is a cyclist :dizzy: ).

Sure they do. They want to ban biking from Fromme. I assumed that everyone on this board knows the context, including you and me.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 10, 2005, 2:22 p.m.

like some people have said, i honestly don't expect any of the horse riders to read this. i essentially just wanted to have a little rant on here…. blow of some steam so to speak.

perhaps if the equestrians really want to ride in the LSCR, some new trails could be cut.

i'm all for horse riders enjoying the forest, i just don't see how we can share singletrack without one user group or the other getting really pissed off… and wouldn't the horse set appreciate their own trails without the horses getting spooked by riders?

June 10, 2005, 2:29 p.m.

i essentially just wanted to have a little rant on here….

Your thread accomplished a lot more than that. Good to see LSCR staff responding and listening in on the discussion.

The history lesson was also appreciated.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 10, 2005, 3:09 p.m.

It's actually named the Bridle Trail. It was given that name by a North Vancouver horse association that built it in 1983. The same organization that spent 100 thoundand dollars to build the trail, upgrade the Twin Bridges Trail, and deck the bridge that was pretty much impassable until that point. The trails in the Camp Brick area were used by horses long before mountainbikers were ever on the scene.

That was my point.

How about a 100K for the NSMBA?

ride, build, ride some more….

June 10, 2005, 3:24 p.m.

And what is your "rationale" for pedalling a mechanical conveyance through the woods? I've been told that bicycles don't belong on built-for-car roads either (I do many thousands of km of road riding each year). Instead of "rationalizing" why it is we are superior to other user groups, its time to sort out how ALL of us can best co-exist with increasing numbers of people and users groups in the woods. The idea that this needs to become an all-out "war" between rival groups bothers me. (And I'm not talking touchy-feely stuff either - if the consensus is that certain groups need to be banned from/restricted to certain areas [HTML_REMOVED] terrain, that's what should be done).

D.

OK, everyone go get yourself a horse and lets session Fromme! Better yet - bring your ATV!

It is rational to put a limit on type and extent of use regardless of who was there first. Just 'cause grand daddy did it a certain way doesn't cut it today. Recreation land use needs to be sustainable and reflect demographics.

For the record - horses kick the sh1t out of single track and severely impact the MTB experience and recreational trail resource, therefore these uses should be segregated. Just like high speed downhill mountainbiking and XC racing should be segregated from hikers/horses for safety reasons.

Vancouver is a major city and we're well past the time for free-for-all trail use.

ride, build, ride some more….

June 10, 2005, 4:35 p.m.

I'm all for sharing trails with horses, but as this has demonstrated, they need to put in time and effort to keep the maintenance up to par for the amount of damage they're doing. Mountain bikers kep the trails up tto par with respect to the damage we're doing.

For some reason, I couldn't imagine seeing horseback riders out for a day having a trail day on one of their trails… maybe I'm ignorant, but isn't soft/muddy trails exactly what they're looking for for their horses?

http://www.cyberetrothreads.com

ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.

June 10, 2005, 5:32 p.m.

The camp brick trails were built by the equestriains so they do have a right to be there. Not to mention the fact that there's very few places horses can ride on the shore

We just rode through the area, while you can see damage from the horses and their deposits… the main damage and widening was caused by the mtb events held there last Month and in the previous 4 years.

Since the trail is so wide now I'm sure we can share…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 10, 2005, 5:41 p.m.

heh. horses and bikes will never totally get along..
I share all my trails with motorcycles, hikers, and horses..
it does suck however that they have torn up the trails. The good thing to do would be to avoid trails that are susceptable to easy dammage after a rain storm.

Fear me. I have a Cabin in montana.
::Team Pancake Pride::

June 10, 2005, 5:54 p.m.

dammm camp brick is fun stuff

June 10, 2005, 7:13 p.m.

The camp brick trails were built by the equestriains so they do have a right to be there. Not to mention the fact that there's very few places horses can ride on the shore

That was my thought … we have Seymour, Fromme, Cypress and now a bike park at Cypress - and now people are slamming horse riding at LSCR, coming out of the woodwork complaining about "years" of being pushed around by the horse people (wtf is up with that - I'd like to know the whole story). Not that destroying trails is OK by any means - and I'm sure responsible equestrians know that too. We have a lot to be thankful for … D.

June 11, 2005, 7:59 a.m.

That was my thought … we have Seymour, Fromme, Cypress and now a bike park at Cypress - and now people are slamming horse riding at LSCR, coming out of the woodwork complaining about "years" of being pushed around by the horse people (wtf is up with that - I'd like to know the whole story). Not that destroying trails is OK by any means - and I'm sure responsible equestrians know that too. We have a lot to be thankful for … D.

do you ride there? it is some of the few XC on the shore.

to compare it to Seymour, Fromme, Cypress and now a bike park at Cypress shows that you haven't ridden it.

what a surprise… the people who don't regularly ride it don't give a shit and take the supossed high road…

June 11, 2005, 8:01 a.m.

We just rode through the area, while you can see damage from the horses and their deposits… the main damage and widening was caused by the mtb events held there last Month and in the previous 4 years.

i respestfully disagree.

funny how the trail north of the pipe is in quite decent shape, yes it has lots of evidence of the race.

then you go accross the pipe and all of a sudden it's a big mud pit. funny how i rode it the day after the races this year and it wasn't anything like that…

June 11, 2005, 9:43 a.m.

statix - take a deep breath man I know you're upset

June 11, 2005, 11:56 a.m.

Since the trail is so wide now I'm sure we can share…

That particular piece of trail was not built by the horse folk nor the one above it. There are some around there on the west side of the road which are horse trails. Wide and bark mulchy. Horse trails require a softer resiliant surface to stand up to shod hooves. Hikers need steps on steepest slopes and bike riders need armoured pave for the steep bits. All need bridges over marshes and creeks of any significance.

So much of this stuff is pretty straightforward and simple common sense. The problem is people make groundless arguments based on emotions. Then you need scientific studies, strategic alpine plans and crap like that. I meen come on, it's a god damn no brainer. People parking at the top of Mountain Hwy making asses of themselves and disturbing resisdents? Every one knows the only proper answer is a god damn parking area past the gate up to the water toxers. Make the road wide enough to accomodate angle parking and retain resident only status in front of residences and be done with it. All these studies and crap is mostly, not entirely but mostly a waste of time and resources.

Fact: mountain biking will not go away because a very small minority of frog huggers are displeased with it. There are too many of us, we pay taxes we support local businesses.

Fact: we share the space with the rest of the community so we do have to live with each other and 99% of all of us do. There are only a small number of cry babies who can't play with others.

Fact: parking in front of residences by non residents will always be an issue so there must be suitable parking for users of any damn public recreational facility, indeed stores and other working buildings like offices and hospitals need employee and visitor parking.

Fact: all trail users impact the trail surfaces and wear them out, some more than others. It's been shown in a number of studies that mountain bikes and hikers have very similar impacts. There's more of us so we riders cause more wear as a group. We also do considerable work to fix what we break. Hikers used to that stuff, but hikers have been replaced by riders to a large extent. If there were no mountainbikers, there would be more hikers but probably not close to the same numbers. Riding is simply much more fun than hiking in this day and age of extremeness.

Fact: the North Shore is NOT wilderness. It's at the margin a a very large City. And probably 95% second growth. I cringe evertime some stinkin hippy refers to it as pristeen. I have seen pristine first hand as a former geologist. That ain't pristine. You can hear and smell the city just about anywhere we ride regularly. The wildlife is pretty much used to us. Coyotes and Racoons, skunks and bears all frequent the city. Whether we ride there or not will not change that a bit.

Sorry. Three coffees and a really bad week at work will do this to a guy.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.