horses on Camp Brick singletrack

June 9, 2005, 5:08 p.m.

if they had fun running their horses through the trail last weekend; they'll probably got at it again this weekend.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

June 9, 2005, 5:24 p.m.

DD, thank god that at the moment it's just the southernmost piece of singletrack (after you cross the pipe).

but there's no reason why they can't and won't ride horses on the other trails (north of the worked one) if we do not oppose them …

June 9, 2005, 5:36 p.m.

trev, like I said before the best way to put an immediate stop to it is to get Richard and Dave in on it. They basically manage those trails with LSCR. did you email them? do you have their contacts? They're both occassional users on here so you could PM them. Email Sharon as well. She's got the hot-line to LSCR as well.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

June 9, 2005, 7:43 p.m.

watershed is a good example of this. I know one is more biodegragable than other, but it still sucks to ride through.

yeah, but it sucks more if you crash and LAND in it

June 9, 2005, 7:48 p.m.

or when it comes off your front tire and gets on your face,mouth and clothes….

Pastor of Muppets

June 9, 2005, 10:04 p.m.

went through there on my ride home today. yeah the horses have chopped it up pretty good. braided the trail and debarked lots of exposed roots. kicked out a lot of rocks.

and for the doubting thomas, lots of horse shit on the trail.

if it's not nipped in the bud, that trail is done.

June 9, 2005, 10:09 p.m.

bastard horses

ride a horse! 1200 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs…
but riding bikes is still fun!

June 9, 2005, 10:24 p.m.

bastard horses

hehe, bunny.. there's no bad horses, just bad jockeys.

you'd never lead your horsey down the wrong path would you.

June 9, 2005, 11:40 p.m.

email sent, lets see what they say.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 10, 2005, 7:27 a.m.

I plan to speak with the equestrian centre regarding this issue. Horses are allowed in the LSCR but it's a shame if damage is happening due to them riding on certain trails.

www.gvrd.bc.ca/water/lscr.htm

June 10, 2005, 7:58 a.m.

went through there on my ride home today. yeah the horses have chopped it up pretty good. braided the trail and debarked lots of exposed roots. kicked out a lot of rocks.

and for the doubting thomas, lots of horse shit on the trail.

if it's not nipped in the bud, that trail is done.

pretty much half done, already eh….

June 10, 2005, 8 a.m.

I plan to speak with the equestrian centre regarding this issue. Horses are allowed in the LSCR but it's a shame if damage is happening due to them riding on certain trails.

if this continues, can you guys look into some signage at the trail heads?

whoever it is has been riding horses on it fairly often, like at least once per week for the past 3 weeks or so… it's not just a one off kind of thing. every time i go there i see more and more damage…

thanks for looking into this, that is really awesome! :) :)

June 10, 2005, 9:03 a.m.

There are a bunch of lots at Riverside and Symour that are zoned for horses. Many of these we're sold and had horse stables put in in the last 2 years. I live around the corner and have noticed a lot more horse traffic. Like MTB, horseback riding is on the rise as city slickers look for rural roots. Expect future conflicts, especially when they hit the Bridal Path.

It's true horses trash trails big time but there is little you can do because horse riding rights are grandfathered from the days before cars - that's why they can shit where they like. Personally I think people need to get with the times. Horses in the city are like keeping a Great Dane in a one bedroom apartment. Truth is mountain bikes are the modern horse, more economical, healthier and less of an impact.

ride, build, ride some more….

June 10, 2005, 9:40 a.m.

the Bridal Path.

It's actually named the Bridle Trail. It was given that name by a North Vancouver horse association that built it in 1983. The same organization that spent 100 thoundand dollars to build the trail, upgrade the Twin Bridges Trail, and deck the bridge that was pretty much impassable until that point. The trails in the Camp Brick area were used by horses long before mountainbikers were ever on the scene.

www.gvrd.bc.ca/water/lscr.htm

June 10, 2005, 9:59 a.m.

It's not that bad. I ride there 2 or 3 times week all year. I was riding that trail since it was established as a riding trail. It used to be a vague path through the woods. It was a nice loamy path. Then the first school boys race was held and it became a muddy mess. I tried to reroute the entrance to the lower part off Baden Powell as the straight shot was getting erroded. But to no avail. Others would simply move the logs and debris I placed to guide them down the proper entrace.

More racing on those trails brought about more wear and tear and some excellent maintenance.

Now I did ride the trail a few days after the last races and it was indeed well worn and pretty muddy. A few days after though it was drying out and then some horse traffic obviously dislodged a bunch of armouring rocks, like the ones at the large log crossing and generaly churned up the soil and made it a bit lumpy. The exit onto the road was chopped up a lot too. Nothing that little dry weather and minimal work can't fix. I think that the riders won't return because it's a pretty rough trail for horses. The racing probably made the trail noticable to the riders for the first time so they checked it out.

But all trail users have an impact. A trail is by definition and errosional feature. The passage of animals including people over the same patch of ground will create a path through the vegitation down to the soil. That's nature. I have been in the bush hundreds of kilometers from the nearest road and travelled game paths as erroded and worn as the Lynn Loop.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.