horses on Camp Brick singletrack

June 9, 2005, 2:45 p.m.

anyone else see that the horse crowd has essentially destroyed one of the Camp Brick singletracks?

i've been riding it for 2 years and until about 3-4 weeks ago I had never seen a horse track on it. now, the trail is trashed. whole sections of rock work that have been there for years are completely gone, rocks all loose and missing. the trail used to be solid ground even after rains, now it's about 6" of mushy soil the whole way down, basically a big freaking mud pit.

anyone who thinks mountain bikes cause impact haven't seen what a few horses can do a in a few weeks. hmmm, a couple hundred pound human does less impact than 1000+ horse? you don't say…

i will be following up with LSCR on this, and I urge others who ride Camp Brick to do so as well. this is bullshit.

June 9, 2005, 2:59 p.m.

Go out and take some pictures … BTW I don't think attacking another user group is very productive. Maybe try and frame it more as "a dialog with horse people" - kinda like a horse-people whisperer. One thing I noticed about horseback riders is that they tend to be rich, educated and well-connected (not that I know what it feels like to be any of those things). How many guys do you know pour cement or serve expressos all week and then go horseback riding on the weekends?. Maybe we should try to be constructive while trying to be friends. D. [HTML_REMOVED]- I don't pretend to know anything, so blow it off if you feel like it.

June 9, 2005, 3:12 p.m.

i'm sorry, but when someone is so clueless that their animals are destroying huge sections of rock work, i don't think dialogue is going to go too far. i shit you not, a 10ft section of beautiful roman road is now a big muddy hole in the ground. these people know they are destryoing the work of others and simply do not care.

send your polite emails to [email protected] . the trail in questions is the southernmost camp brick singletrack.

June 9, 2005, 3:22 p.m.

trev, that's really bad. it was ok last week when i took a conference group through there. let Rich Juryn and Dave Diplock know for sure - ASAP.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

June 9, 2005, 3:28 p.m.

Invite them to an informal trail day on that trail. They would probably laugh at the idea.

June 9, 2005, 3:34 p.m.

i shit you not, a 10ft section of beautiful roman road is now a big muddy hole in the ground.

Pics please. Hopefully somebody has some "before" shots so we can get an idea of the damage.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 9, 2005, 3:48 p.m.

i'm sorry, but when someone is so clueless that their animals are destroying huge sections of rock work, i don't think dialogue is going to go too far. i shit you not, a 10ft section of beautiful roman road is now a big muddy hole in the ground. these people know they are destryoing the work of others and simply do not care.

No doubt someone needs to be held accountable, but there is and has been horseriding in that area for years, with little visible impact in my experience (I used to live around there until a couple of years ago, but don't go there much anymore). It could have been a bunch of kids who didn't know any better (there are lots of kids who ride out of the Equestrian Center)… I'm just saying that we shouldn't accuse everyone who rides horses (or rides horses there), just like some of us don't drink, smoke up, urinate, defecate, streetrace or walk around naked on Mountain Highway. D.

June 9, 2005, 3:57 p.m.

i'm betting theres a hiking forum somewhere with thread complaining about how mountian bikes have ruined a section of their trails.

http://chuuchbeeasy.blogspot.com/

June 9, 2005, 4:04 p.m.

the horse riders from the stables over there know where to ride. They share the berm and the powerlines trail plus they've got their own trail network in the forest on the other side of the road.

The Camp Brick single track is for riders/hikers. This is established protocol which horse riders have honored for years.

Statix is right. If a group of them have ridden in there over the weekend and trashed the trails it's bullshit.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

June 9, 2005, 4:35 p.m.

god forbid if one of them catch you riding an equestrian trail. I got a stip torn off of me one time, and I didn't even know the trail was horses only. My main beef with horses is that dog owners are expected to clean their dogs shit up in a little plastic bag, but horses are allowed to shit all over the middle of the trail. watershed is a good example of this. I know one is more biodegragable than other, but it still sucks to ride through.

June 9, 2005, 4:43 p.m.

I ride there regularly and most of the mud and loose crap is from the many many bikers riding the trail during the NS Mountain Bike Conference races being held. These trails were all part of the course and I rode them the Monday aftert the event and the trails were trashed by excessive use from mountain bikers not horses. Only once in the last few months have I seen any sign of horse crap on the single track trails around camp brick.

Still living & breathing

June 9, 2005, 4:46 p.m.

I ride there regularly and most of the mud and loose crap is from the many many bikers riding the trail during the NS Mountain Bike Conference races being held. These trails were all part of the course and I rode them the Monday aftert the event and the trails were trashed by excessive use from mountain bikers not horses. Only once in the last few months have I seen any sign of horse crap on the single track trails around camp brick.

you haven't been there recently. go now and say the same thing.

anyone can tell tire tracks from the races vs. clearly defined hoof prints in the mud.

anyone can tell that.

June 9, 2005, 4:47 p.m.

i'm betting theres a hiking forum somewhere with thread complaining about how mountian bikes have ruined a section of their trails.

haha.

hike the grouse grind or lynn loop - hikers definitely cause erosion. some would say about the same as riders.

while anyone who says that riders/hikers cause the same damage/erosion as horses is completely out to lunch.

i'm 100% in support of hikers using MTB trails. i just don't think horses on MTB trails is acceptable when they simply can NOT support the weight of the horses…

June 9, 2005, 4:48 p.m.

Pics please. Hopefully somebody has some "before" shots so we can get an idea of the damage.

i DO NOT have access to a digital camera the moment.

if anyone rides these trails, please take a camera along with you on your next ride and grab some pics.

we don't necessarily need "before' pics, the damage is that bad …. it speaks for itself.

June 9, 2005, 4:59 p.m.

we don't necessarily need "before' pics, the damage is that bad …. it speaks for itself.

that's brutal. we've spent a lot of time getting those trails in shape, including all the school kids coming out to help [HTML_REMOVED] learn how to maintain trails. sounds like it's all undone on one weekend.