Hoodlums to be levelled

June 22, 2011, 9:47 a.m.

After years of rumours it looks like it's going to happen. Was there last night for a session and the DNV has posted 3 huge signs that explain the area is to be decommissioned and returned back to a natural habitat - all riders please proceed to Inter-River BP. No idea of timeline but plenty of trees have already been marked to come down. Here's my problem with this….the signs explain that the trees marked are considered "dangerous". I worked with the Ministry of Forests for 9 years, many of those as a faller. I took hours of danger tree falling and danger tree assessment courses so like to think I know enough to be dangerous. Many of these trees marked to be dropped don't meet the criteria of a true "dangerous tree", IMHO.

Not sure if anyone's interested in saving this place (and you should be), but thought if enough people got behind it, we could work with the DNV to come up with a plan that suits everyone. It may not go anywhere but some discussion is better than no discussion. Sound off.

June 22, 2011, 10:50 a.m.

that sucks. We need to work with the DNV as they clearly don't see the value in hoodlums for the community. while the whistler muni is putting money into pump tracks, jumps and trails, DNV wants to spend money to remove one of the few good spots to ride a jump bike? doesn't make any sense to me. especially under the guise of dangereous trees which actually may not be dangerous. who do i contact to help here?

June 22, 2011, 10:54 a.m.

Did they put a contact number there? If not call parks. They should get you to the right person or pm me and I"ll give you a name and number to call.

If you feel their assessment of the trees are wrong, call the arborist for a reason.

Good luck.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 22, 2011, 11:04 a.m.

I examined the trees pretty extensively there is a serious problem with fungus thats taking over the forests and what happends is the trees brake into sections so I do see there point, what i dont get is down the damn dangerous trees and leave the jumps. Either way im gonna get a proposal going for intermediate to advanced jumps on the shore its long overdue I know a lot of people including myself that have revamped the place I spend a crap ton of time re-doing the beginer line. All this money being spent on scrapping this place when its been around for allmost 15 years.

June 22, 2011, 12:46 p.m.

tragic

June 22, 2011, 1:30 p.m.

The District has stated there concerns with the size of the jumps and the construction. There was also a concern regarding the digging undermining the roots of some trees. These concerns as well as complaints from homeowners in the area have contributed to the District's attention to the area. If you would like more information contact me at [email protected]

June 22, 2011, 1:53 p.m.

sometimes i wish i could decommission the DNV

this is just gonna drive people to build bigger jumps, deeper in the woods, where its even tougher to extricate an injured person

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 22, 2011, 1:59 p.m.

[QUOTE=life's a playground;2539723]The District has stated there concerns with the size of the jumps and the construction. There was also a concern regarding the digging undermining the roots of some trees. These concerns as well as complaints from homeowners in the area have contributed to the District's attention to the area. If you would like more information contact me at [email protected]

given the DNVs concerns, the time that has gone into hoodlums, and the fact it's been there for 15 years and there aren't many/any alternative places for riders to go, how can closure possibly be the best solution?

instead of closure, why not (a) look to whistler for the safe and large jumps they maintain for residents and visitors to the area? (b) remedy digging around root systems and (C) address residents' concerns or establish that a NIMBY attitude doesn't work when people have been riding there for 15 years.

June 22, 2011, 5:47 p.m.

Any environmental reasons are pure crap. There is no scientific reason to deactivate Hoods. The diggers' efforts haven't killed or injured a tree in 15 years while the District has gone in there twice before to cut down LIVE trees to block the jumps.

The residents are NIMBYists (as always) and don't want people passing by their house and it's impossible to stop hikers and dogwalkers so that leaves the bikers which are an easy target.

The jumps will be rebuilt. If the district builds a road in for bulldozer access then, as mentioned before, new jumps will just pop up in some other forest. It's a fact of life. Jumps get torn down, they get rebuilt. People don't stop dirt jumping because the jumps get torn down by a closed-minded anti-exercise government.

Hey DNV, you want us to go ride at Interriver? Make it not suck.

Vancouver city park, built by a government that doesn't hate cyclists and understands their value to the community:

city dj park (government-built) in New Zealand:

What DNV builds (using vollie labour to boot…):

June 22, 2011, 10:39 p.m.

hard to argue with that. good god.

June 22, 2011, 10:51 p.m.

hard to argue with that. good god.

yup

June 22, 2011, 11 p.m.

which ones were hoodlums?

end of 11th or something?

Pastor of Muppets

June 23, 2011, 1:56 p.m.

Can I eat chips, hot dogs, and drink soda while watching TV all day? Yes
Can I ride my bike on some jumps in an easily accesed forested area? No :nono:

Does the government want us to get more exercise? Sure doesn't seem like it

June 23, 2011, 2:09 p.m.

Inter River was really designed for kids to learn not as a full on jump park….but as we know the DNV has always had blinders on when it came to this kind of thing cabins ,trails,parking near our ride they go all Craverish and start whining about some non existent environ_MENTAL _crisis..hope you guys can save your jumps

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

June 23, 2011, 9:52 p.m.

Inter River was really designed for kids

yup. and it's full every weekend. I'm sure all the volunteers who built it are pretty stoked to have been a part of it, even if they never ride there.