Hood River

June 27, 2016, 8:57 p.m.

Mackenzie was so weak. The lava flow stuff was OK mostly flat and endless. Would like to try the Bunchgrass trail from Waldo lake to Oakridge. 40km

I though the first 10mi were a nice, scenic slightly techy XC cruise. The swimming in Tamolitch Blue Pool is definitely exhilarating. The last 15mi gets progressively more dull. The group I was with found ourselves unconsciously riding faster and faster despite fatigue just to get it over with.

A trail that's likely much better in the same area is the Olallie-O'Leary-Castle Rock-King-Castle route. Unfortunately I haven't ridden the whole thing. Day 2 of my trip was wasted in Bend so on day 3, I only had time to ride ~5mi up and down King-Castle before heading home.

Here's a helmet cam vid (not mine) that gives a fairly good overview. EDIT - fixed the embed, but you have to skip ahead to 8:34 to get to the typical part of the descent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqxIIn0FnSk

The climb to get up to the ridge that eventually feeds you into that descent is supposed to be pretty grueling though.

My dislike of Bend is probably because I feel like it cheated me out of a chance to ride that whole route. Mind you, if I hadn't spent the day in the Bend dust bowl, maybe the forest wouldn't have seemed so vibrant.

June 28, 2016, 7:15 a.m.

I though the first 10mi were a nice, scenic slightly techy XC cruise. The swimming in Tamolitch Blue Pool is definitely exhilarating. The last 15mi gets progressively more dull. The group I was with found ourselves unconsciously riding faster and faster despite fatigue just to get it over with.

A trail that's likely much better in the same area is the Olallie-O'Leary-Castle Rock-King-Castle route. Unfortunately I haven't ridden the whole thing. Day 2 of my trip was wasted in Bend so on day 3, I only had time to ride ~5mi up and down King-Castle before heading home.

Here's a helmet cam vid (not mine) that gives a fairly good overview.

https://youtu.be/WqxIIn0FnSk?t=8m34s

Sorry, embed isn't co-operating with me…

The climb to get up to the ridge that eventually feeds you into that descent is supposed to be pretty grueling though.

My dislike of Bend is probably because I feel like it cheated me out of a chance to ride that whole route. Mind you, if I hadn't spent the day in the Bend dust bowl, maybe the forest wouldn't have seemed so vibrant.

Been to Bend a few times. Its more about the vibe and brew pubs there than the riding for us. The trails are so smooth a group of mixed levels can ride together and have a fun day.
I assume when you went it was super dusty? I have been in dead of summer and haven't experienced that. Although you have to carry a shitload of water on the big rides, sucks the hydration out of you big time there.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

June 28, 2016, 8:57 p.m.

Been to Bend a few times. Its more about the vibe and brew pubs there than the riding for us. The trails are so smooth a group of mixed levels can ride together and have a fun day.
I assume when you went it was super dusty? I have been in dead of summer and haven't experienced that. Although you have to carry a shitload of water on the big rides, sucks the hydration out of you big time there.

We did 30mi. of riding in the Phil's system and probably hit the best 80% of it. The lips and berms were all made from dust and broken dreams. The trails all seemed similar: it was like we were riding against a Flintstones wrap-around background. Rock-tree-sand. Rock-tree-sand. Most boring day I've spent on a bike.

This is close to the level of dustiness I experienced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WObnyyMzHtg

June 28, 2016, 9:15 p.m.

Hood River is for ripping your 73 Liter waveboard with a 4.2 m sail until your arms fall off, then walk across the street for a brew and Mikes bing cherry double scoop.

July 5, 2016, 5:12 p.m.

a great site for intel on trails/conditions/hazards
thegorgeismygym.com

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

July 5, 2016, 5:44 p.m.

bend is overrated for riding around town, head directly to Oakridge. I liked Mackenzie River, but then again, I like XC riding as much as other riding.

July 5, 2016, 7:56 p.m.

bend is overrated for riding around town, head directly to Oakridge. I liked Mackenzie River, but then again, I like XC riding as much as other riding.

I have been to Bend several times to ride and I enjoy the riding. Phil's is over rated, but taking a shuttle up Bachelor and riding 60 km of flowy and smooth trails is a nice change of pace from the chunky and rocky stuff in the Shore and Whistler.

I need to hit Oakridge next though…

July 6, 2016, 7:13 a.m.

I have been to Bend several times to ride and I enjoy the riding. Phil's is over rated, but taking a shuttle up Bachelor and riding 60 km of flowy and smooth trails is a nice change of pace from the chunky and rocky stuff in the Shore and Whistler.

I need to hit Oakridge next though…

I'll admit, when we were there the Bachelor area was still buried in snow, so we didn't get up there, will have to try and check it out sometime!

July 6, 2016, 10:44 a.m.

I'll admit, when we were there the Bachelor area was still buried in snow, so we didn't get up there, will have to try and check it out sometime!

The Swampy lakes- North Fork, Tumalo Falls, Mzarek trail is a fun lap. Usually doesn't open till July due to snow pack. Went thru Bend on the way back from Moab in April for a day. Very little was open due to snowpack and forest management burning. We were just happy to get some decent beer after being in Utah for a week.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

July 6, 2016, 10:47 a.m.

The Swampy lakes- North Fork, Tumalo Falls, Mzarek trail is a fun lap. Usually doesn't open till July due to snow pack. Went thru Bend on the way back from Moab in April for a day. Very little was open due to snowpack and forest management burning. We were just happy to get some decent beer after being in Utah for a week.

yeah, the town itself is super rad, and the breweries are awesome!

July 6, 2016, 8:02 p.m.

top-shelf info here. Thanks people!