Hitch Rack Obscuring License Plate -> $230

Nov. 4, 2019, 3:04 p.m.

I got pulled over on Friday in Vancouver, told that my license plate was obstructed by my bike rack (Yakima HoldUp 2, folded up at the time) and handed a $230 ticket.

Wondering if anyone else in the S2S area has gotten one or heard of anyone getting one?

If so, any good solution? Just keep driving and hope that it was just an unlucky day?

Nov. 4, 2019, 4:03 p.m.

there's been a few people over the years who have gotten this ticket. unless the rack is in use, it cannot obscure the plate. i get the ruling, but it's a cheap ticket imo and the officer should be giving you a warning instead of a ticket. the only real solution is to relocate the plate to a different spot. I'd suggest to the driver's side of the rear bumper or drill a couple of small holes in the base of the rack and bolt the plate to the rack. other than that it's take the rack off whenever it's not in use.

Nov. 4, 2019, 4:10 p.m.

Really took this issue into consideration when buying my rack. Sorry to hear you were dinged.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Nov. 4, 2019, 4:30 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Really took this issue into consideration when buying my rack. Sorry to hear you were dinged.

what did you end up getting?

Nov. 4, 2019, 5:36 p.m.

Yet another reason why I love my 1UP rack.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/license-plate-holder-2/

Nov. 4, 2019, 5:53 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Yet another reason why I love my 1UP rack.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/license-plate-holder-2/

Nice, that is one of the better solutions I’ve seen, and the only one from a rack maker. But it creates a second problem, if we’re following the letter of the law, your rear license plate needs to be illuminated by a dedicated white light, which would require running an extension wiring harness thru the rack...(this is also an issue with syncro’s solution)

Nov. 4, 2019, 5:59 p.m.

The police would be having a really bad/slow day to give someone a ticket who went through the effort to make their plate visible, but had no light for it.  1UP does offer a light to go along with the plate holder, but I think it is a brake/indicator light, not a white light?

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/led-light-bar-plate-holder-2/

Nov. 4, 2019, 6:35 p.m.

Posted by: wingelabs

Nice, that is one of the better solutions I’ve seen, and the only one from a rack maker. But it creates a second problem, if we’re following the letter of the law, your rear license plate needs to be illuminated by a dedicated white light, which would require running an extension wiring harness thru the rack...(this is also an issue with syncro’s solution)

Nov. 4, 2019, 8 p.m.

In Australia you can buy an "accessory plate" which is another copy of your licence plate that's just a little smaller, which you can hang off your rack or bike or whatever as long as it's visible.

Does anyone know if that is an option here? 

I have also seen people with handwritten signs... does that even fly or is that complete waste of time that just draws more attention to the fact you knew it wasn't visible?

Nov. 4, 2019, 8:20 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

I bought a 1up like shoreboy has. Although the licence plate location on my Subaru's is just high enough that it is in view for the most part.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Udtq3TfA7eDR2JTG9

The thule and Yakima racks obsured the plate which was a no go for me. 

Very good question is what is the deal with putting an additional plate on the back when the plate is obscured? Maybe rack attack or a rack place can answer this? Be nice to get something set in stone because I'm sure the RCMP just shrug their shoulders saying it's up to the officer to interpret the law. I see SUVs on the shore with a 4 bike Thules and the plate isn't just obscured, it's completely hidden.

Only a matter of time until you get dinged.

Nov. 4, 2019, 8:32 p.m.

Very good question is what is the deal with putting an additional plate on the back when the plate is obscured? Maybe rack attack or a rack place can answer this? Be nice to get something set in stone because I'm sure the RCMP just shrug their shoulders saying it's up to the officer to interpret the law. I see SUVs on the shore with a 4 bike Thules and the plate isn't just obscured, it's completely hidden.

I'm gonna guess that's a no go because afaik you can't buy additional copies of a plate and your rear plate also needs to have the expiry tags on it. You're also not allowed to alter the plate in any way. Re the law, there's nothing to interpret and the regs are pretty clear. The only thing is that when it comes to a rack the cop could be nice and cut you some slack if this is your first violation for the rack obscuring the plate. 

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/26_58_01#division_d2e1901

Nov. 5, 2019, 4:09 a.m.

I bought a 1up like shoreboy has. Although the licence plate location on my Subaru's is just high enough that it is in view for the most part.

Looking at that pic the plate looks pretty hidden. Do you take it off when not in use. The single bike option seems like you could leave it on when not in use.

Last edited by: FLATCH on Nov. 5, 2019, 4:11 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 5, 2019, 10:24 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Looking at that pic the plate looks pretty hidden. Do you take it off when not in use. The single bike option seems like you could leave it on when not in use.

Can confirm that the single bike 1up can fold up without obscuring the plate on the small sedan that my wife usually drives. When she needs to carry a second bike she adds the extra attachment. This is easier than dealing with a plate and lights etc, as it's only 2 bolts to add the extra tray and it doesn't get used often. It's a pretty tidy solution for people who mostly drive themselves to go riding. We have another vehicle that carries more bikes however.

Nov. 5, 2019, 12:57 p.m.

Here is an actual pic. When behind in another car it's in plain view.

Nov. 5, 2019, 5:40 p.m.

Here is an actual pic. When behind in another car it's in plain view.

Nice rack