History of The Shore - Seb Kemp

Nov. 3, 2012, 9:04 p.m.

I'm new to Vancouver, and it was an awesome read getting to know some of the history that's gone on here! Loved it Seb!

Twitter: Stephen_matthws
Instagram: stephen_matthews

Nov. 3, 2012, 9:36 p.m.

that,s definately Nummers is he still around have not seen him in a decade or more

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 3, 2012, 9:41 p.m.

I just posted up an interior pic of the shop in NSMB photos with a really young Lumpy Leidal, and Nummers, Jamie Barker. I haven't the foggiest how to insert pics into this thread.

Right click on the image and select "copy image location". Then when you're typing the post click on the icon that looks like a picture of mountains. Right click on it and select "paste".

Nov. 3, 2012, 9:49 p.m.

Look how slack the Stumpy is compared to the other bikes on the rack.

flickr

Nov. 3, 2012, 10:52 p.m.

Look how slack the Stumpy is compared to the other bikes on the rack.

nerd. more a factor of being hung differently i think, but the old bikes did have some relatively slack geo.

my first mtn bike (circa 1984) was one of these - (still have it, evidently; not this one):

Nov. 4, 2012, 8:27 a.m.

Great overview! Lots of history in this place.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 4, 2012, 8:33 a.m.

I think the guy in those orange shorts is Jeff Nesbitt
Love the poster of frank zappa

I meant to ask. Is that wheeldrop on the right, in the red shorts?

Nov. 4, 2012, 8:37 a.m.

im really glad short styles for dudes has changed…. my boxxers are bigger than those shorts..

Nov. 4, 2012, 9:04 a.m.

that's where I got my membership card (#7) at least…

Shit … can I get your autograph? My card is like #20 something … so late to the party! That was at the Fromme trail day where we re-built the whole portion of B-P that goes down along the creek just above the yeller gate. That's also when the hiker/biker separation was added. Kira sat at a table beside the road and handed out membership cards, and when we finished for the day, Len's kid Dixon (3 years old at the time) was given first crack at riding the new dirt.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 7, 2012, 11:41 a.m.

Good read that is for sure.

UBC endowment land trails and hiking trails leading into Caulfield off Cyps were pretty popular back in mid-late 80's as well….

Nov. 7, 2012, 1:13 p.m.

Shit … can I get your autograph? My card is like #20 something … so late to the party! That was at the Fromme trail day where we re-built the whole portion of B-P that goes down along the creek just above the yeller gate. That's also when the hiker/biker separation was added. Kira sat at a table beside the road and handed out membership cards, and when we finished for the day, Len's kid Dixon (3 years old at the time) was given first crack at riding the new dirt.

Kn.

I was at that trail day. Bought my membership from some guy named Lee Lau!

Nov. 7, 2012, 9:21 p.m.

Very enjoyable read Seb. It shows how much people have battled to maintain access to the trails. And the battle continues.

Nov. 9, 2012, 11:52 a.m.

I was at that trail day. Bought my membership from some guy named Lee Lau!

That's horribly romantic. Horribly.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 9, 2012, 10:48 p.m.

Pretty good read.

I see Nummers driving around Whistler/Squamish from time to time.

I was only ever at one NSMBA meeting. It was at a house around 6th and St. Davids. It was in the evening. It was a long long time ago. The Black bear pub? Not sure if it existed then. Not where it is now anyway.

And in 1981 when I moved to North van you could drive to Deep Cove by Mt. Seymour Parkway, or Dollarton Hwy. Both were paved. The Parkway did not cross the river though. It sprung up, all 4 lanes even, but no treed divider, on the east side of Maplewood farm, which ran along the river and was later cut in half by the extension of the parkway. You had Grantham bridge, which was pretty rugged, or Dollarton.

I also think there is enough content for another article. Some of the racing, like hell of the north and the mosquito creek classic. The Traslins as the Crazy Canadians. The looney races in North Vancouver, predating the ones in Whistler. The people who moved north from the city to Squamish and Whistler and started things up here. Jeff Breckner and Highline cycles in Pembi. Rollo and the boys starting WORCA. Dale Douglas heading farther north and starting Tyax air.

Maybe another two or three articles. Get on it Seb.

www.northshorebillet.com

Nov. 10, 2012, 7:20 a.m.

That's horribly romantic. Horribly.

He didn't remember me…