hey big schralpers

March 27, 2014, 10:36 p.m.

http://www.nsmb.com/half-nelson-gets-some-love/

how do you corner like this guy? squaring off corners, schralping, runching and general steazy cornering at speed. while the fundamentals i've learned from reading, experience and my EB course must be in play, this is expert/next level riding that seems to go well beyond. what i think i'm seeing here is a perfect combination of perfect initiation timing, pump, and some sort of hip check to steer/throw the bike from the back. are my observations on the right track? i wish i could corner with half this skill…

March 28, 2014, 9:01 a.m.

shift weight backwards before apex of the turn/shift weight forwards after apex of turn; play around with that until you strike a natural balance where you're movements counteract each other. Occasionally slam the rear binder and throw a foot out for a second like he does at the end of the video to lose traction and get a little roost of dirt if that matters to you.

I don't know, just ride your bike. It'll come naturally.

March 28, 2014, 3:28 p.m.

^This. Ride your bike.

Find a sketchy technical corner and go into it uncomfortably fast. You'll probably figure it out. That's how I figured out that pre-skid the rear of the bike to the direction you're going to be turning towards, and then have it snap around behind you and make the corner. Nothing about it makes sense, but when your real hot into a tight turn, you just need to do it, not understand it.

March 29, 2014, 6:13 p.m.

^This. Ride your bike.

Find a sketchy technical corner and go into it uncomfortably fast. You'll probably figure it out. That's how I figured out that pre-skid the rear of the bike to the direction you're going to be turning towards, and then have it snap around behind you and make the corner. Nothing about it makes sense, but when your real hot into a tight turn, you just need to do it, not understand it.

nailed it. You might eat chit a few times but eventually you'll find the point where you're movements are counteracting each other and you're at the very edge of control without slowing down at all.
there's nothing wrong with eating shit once and a while, just means you're pushing harder and getting faster

March 29, 2014, 9:28 p.m.

That "pre-skid" manoeuvre is so sweet when it comes together. It feels best to me when there's no back braking and the front end is weighted just perfectly and heavily enough that you can whip the back end wherever you want it to go.

Haven't done one in a while, thanks for the reminder. I've been getting complacent/timid I think.

March 30, 2014, 8:11 a.m.

shift weight backwards before apex of the turn/shift weight forwards after apex of turn; play around with that until you strike a natural balance where you're movements counteract each other. Occasionally slam the rear binder and throw a foot out for a second like he does at the end of the video to lose traction and get a little roost of dirt if that matters to you.

I don't know, just ride your bike. It'll come naturally.

I would love to see a demo of this technique. Sounds like a lot to process at high speed into a turn.

In order to do this the rider must stay balanced between front and rear, a subtle amount of pressure on the bars will allow the "tailwhip" into the turns. Most of what you are seeing is for the camera, and does not translate to real speed. Drop a foot? Again for the camera.

I don't use opinion, I use timing systems to tell me what is fast. Smooth is fast, skidding, shralping (ie: trail destruction) is not.

Yes he is fast, and but I saw a point made elsewhere that if everyone rode like that trail would be gone in 2 weeks.

If we were to create an actual coaching moment here we would look at braking points, maybe if he braked earlier he wouldn't have to slam through, but that wouldn't make nearly as cool of an edit.

In no way am I picking on him, just saw the opportunity to discuss something we see a lot. In training i catch the guys doing it all the time- riding like they see in vids (slow). I call it PinkBike speed. Lolz.

So don't get me wrong, Sid is an excellent rider, and the vid was awesome.

CL@C4

ps: He could also develop more speed if he stood up a bit more as he approaches turns, this is a World Cupper technique (watch that Stevie Who kid?). This allows the body more room to push into the bike when you hit the Apex. 90% of people blaming their clips for a mid turn blowout could've prevented it by entering the turn taller and thus not grinding themselves outta the pedal.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

March 30, 2014, 8:34 a.m.

I would love to see a demo of this technique. Sounds like a lot to process at high speed into a turn.

listen to this guy ^^, he's got alot more experience teaching and explaining than a hack like me.

I think shifting weight just comes naturally in a corner after time though, when was the last time you were cornering and actually thinking about what you were doing? When I go into a corner there's not alot to..process.

Shralping sure ain't the fastest and it sure kills trails fast but once and a while it's a fun and steezy-looking way to throw the bike around

March 30, 2014, 8:41 a.m.

listen to this guy ^^, he's got alot more experience teaching and explaining than a hack like me.

I think shifting weight just comes naturally in a corner after time though, when was the last time you were cornering and actually thinking about what you were doing? When I go into a corner there's not alot to..process.

Shralping sure ain't the fastest and it sure kills trails fast but once and a while it's a fun and steezy-looking way to throw the bike around

You're no hack TW. I try and keep my coaching pretty liquid these days, some things will always remain, but new things pop up all the time. That's why I love working with fast riders as they all have little tricks.

It seems to me that simple ninja shit in terms of body stuff, and doing less is more when riding. True speed allows for effortless style and delicious mini whippers on the trail. Thomas Vanderwho? comes to mind. Powerful, focused and fluid. The Kid woulda been a pro no matter what sport he dedicated his time to.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com