All Mountain (obsolete?)
36.4%
Park (no)
0%
Downhilll (no)
0%
Total votes: 11
March 12, 2023, 8:01 p.m.

I ride the shore. Ride up, ride down. Seymour, Cypress, Fromme. Usually have 2 wheels on the ground. Like to grunt up short steep things. Not a huge flow trail fella.

Confused by the lingo that bike makers use.  Help!

Last edited by: ceebee on March 12, 2023, 8:01 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 13, 2023, 11:46 a.m.

Budget? Looking for new or used? Those factors will help you get a lot more suggestions on what to look for. From your description tho a 130-140mm rear and a 140-160mm front suspension bike should fit your needs nicely. That could put you in the range of a downcountry (burly xc) to enduro type bike. But, you might find that a great trail bike with upgraded wheels/fork fits the bill. Starting with a solid idea of budget will really help tho.

March 13, 2023, 12:20 p.m.

Thanks Syncro.  I was being more tongue-in-cheek about how the terms are thrown around with little useful definition, rather than looking for bike recommendations.   I've been riding all these trails since 94 on a range of bikes starting with steep angle fully rigid spindle-ly things.  Currently on a Slash, which I quite like - climbs pretty good I find.   I have a line on really good deal for a Remedy 9.8 (carbon frame and wheels) at the moment, so considering that.  Looks like Trek is discontinuing 27.5" options so hence the opportunity on a close-out.

The biggest choice in front of me seems to be wheel size.  Test rode a 29er Santa Cruz quite a few years ago, I didn't love the floppy feel of the big wheels and the bike seemed overly long for my tastes.  Pretty happy with 27.5 on the Slash - they already seem big after so many years on 26"

"Downcountry" was a new term I found recently which I had never heard of and annoyed me!  So I guess we have:

XC - for flatlanders

Downcountry - burly XC as you say

Trail - for, I guess, riding on trails?  Perhaps Upcountry trails with slope to them!

All Mountain - OK for sure this is for use on mountains....

Enduro - a trail bike optimized for speed

Downhill - an enduro bike you'd never want to ride up hill

Park - i dunno, pretty much a downhill bike I guess

March 13, 2023, 12:47 p.m.

Posted by: ceebee

Currently on a Slash, which I quite like - climbs pretty good I find.

Pretty happy with 27.5 on the Slash

What don't you like about your current Slash? I'd start from there.

If there is nothing you don't like about your current Slash, I'd just continue riding that bike.

March 13, 2023, 2:27 p.m.

yes - that is exactly where i am at currently.  sometimes you just get the "new bike itch", but it isn't wise economically to cave to it very often.  i plan to back to back the bikes and then see.

March 13, 2023, 2:46 p.m.

I don't know if this has changed since Covid but there used to be lots of demo days from different brands in March/April. Good way to try out different bikes without any commitment.

March 13, 2023, 6:27 p.m.

FWIW, Enduro riders also pedal up like Trail, but with their detachable full-face attached to the handlebars or pack.  Trail riders will never wear a full-face, but an Enduro rider might go without.

This poll makes me giggle.  Go ride your bike.  If you want a new one, go to your LBS and ride a few around till one speaks to you.

March 13, 2023, 9:21 p.m.

i better buy one (or decide not too) quick before a new category is created.  

but i think i understand who i am now - solidly a "trail" guy apparently. for clarity, not a "trials" guy.

March 14, 2023, 8:38 p.m.

Have you heard of E- yet?

March 16, 2023, 4:35 p.m.

Thanks Syncro. I was being more tongue-in-cheek about how the terms are thrown around with little useful definition, rather than looking for bike recommendations. I've been riding all these trails since 94 on a range of bikes starting with steep angle fully rigid spindle-ly things. Currently on a Slash, which I quite like - climbs pretty good I find. I have a line on really good deal for a Remedy 9.8 (carbon frame and wheels) at the moment, so considering that. Looks like Trek is discontinuing 27.5" options so hence the opportunity on a close-out.

The biggest choice in front of me seems to be wheel size. Test rode a 29er Santa Cruz quite a few years ago, I didn't love the floppy feel of the big wheels and the bike seemed overly long for my tastes. Pretty happy with 27.5 on the Slash - they already seem big after so many years on 26"

"Downcountry" was a new term I found recently which I had never heard of and annoyed me! So I guess we have:

XC - for flatlanders

Downcountry - burly XC as you say

Trail - for, I guess, riding on trails? Perhaps Upcountry trails with slope to them!

All Mountain - OK for sure this is for use on mountains....

Enduro - a trail bike optimized for speed

Downhill - an enduro bike you'd never want to ride up hill

Park - i dunno, pretty much a downhill bike I guess

Tried a mullet? Not that I have but might be best/worst of both worlds?

I'm on my third 29, totally agree it's floppy. I blame the height of the hubs...or something. Though the roll-over-everything change in handling is something you adjust to and maybe even enjoy (gasp).

Last edited by: Hepcat on March 16, 2023, 4:36 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 17, 2023, 11:25 a.m.

Big fan of a mullet on the shore. I'm 5'10" but have shorter legs/long torso, I found demoing 29ers I would buzz my ass from time to time (would probably go away if I rode one full time). Mullet I am confident on the steep tech and the bike is easy to push into/out of corners. It might be a bit slower climbing, and worse on tech climbs, and probably slower than a full 29er going down rough stuff but I'm not fussed about those things. I have a Transition Patrol (160mm/160mm). I think Steed does demos of Santa Cruz? You could try a Bronson or Nomad which are both mullet now.

March 19, 2023, 10:26 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Have you heard of E- yet?

Pretending I haven’t

March 19, 2023, 10:27 p.m.

Well I did back to back ride my existing and potential new bike, and they were so similar it was super clear I should just keep my money. New bike itch cured.  Or at least deferred, I might take my time and look into some demos as suggested.

Last edited by: ceebee on March 19, 2023, 10:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 19, 2023, 11:41 p.m.

Ah, switching categories might bring the itch back?

I bought a short travel 29er a few years ago, twas a barrel full of monkeys.

March 20, 2023, 12:54 a.m.

Well I did back to back ride my existing and potential new bike, and they were so similar it was super clear I should just keep my money. New bike itch cured.  Or at least deferred, I might take my time and look into some demos as suggested.

What was the potential new bike?