Help me get my mojo back!

Nov. 6, 2011, 3:01 p.m.

Separated my shoulder back in spring.

Former thread here- http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=140862[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=separated+shoulder

A lot of you were instrumental in my healing process with endless amounts of great advice. With this, I approach you again. To help me regain my mojo.

I have been back on my bike a while with a 95% efficiency shoulder that is allowing me to ride aggressively again. I am working on getting fitness back, learning to ride with a slightly different acting joint and just being stoked to be honking down hills again.

My descending and speed skills are coming back at an observable rate but….

When it comes time to put some significant amounts light between the ground and my tires, I get creeping and oft times bike stopping fear. Plenty of jumps, drops and stunts that have been in my rear view for years are now outright scary. Some days confidence is high and its not too much of an issue but a lot of time, I just ride around feeling shitty about it. The one time I did push myself and it resulted in a crash on a formerly elementary stunt.

I know, I know, HTFU and I should punch through but, for some reason, I can't. Others must have experienced being gunshy after a fairly hard injury. Any advice to help a man regain his mojo?

Thanks in advance.

Nov. 6, 2011, 3:05 p.m.

i found going out and nailing one of your favourite trails with some large jumps brought back my mojo after my shoulder had me out for 9 months. then keep going faster

Nov. 6, 2011, 3:14 p.m.

gym time= confidence on the bike.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Nov. 6, 2011, 3:47 p.m.

I had my mojo on our ride this morning, you should have just asked to ride it then…

But seriously, after my back to back collarbone breaks I felt a bit timid for a while as well. Go hit a familiar trail with some familiar stunts and work up from there. Sunday morning rips this winter won't due any harm either. Stay motivated buddy!

My Team From San Luis Obispo, CA
SLOtothebone.wordpress.com

My Dirtbag Team in BC
The B-Team

B-Team :heart:'s You

Nov. 6, 2011, 5:07 p.m.

For my injuries, it just took time. The stronger I got after the injury, the less I physically noticed it riding and the the less I mentally noticed it riding. Just take it as it feels right, go easy on yourself (mentally) and you'll feel the thrills all over again as you start to do stuff again. Don't give up as it is amazing what time will do for you and you'll end up progressing past where you were pre-injury.

Nov. 6, 2011, 5:16 p.m.

This

Nov. 6, 2011, 5:30 p.m.

Just re-access the jumps and drops you want to do. Are they smooth,will the impact cause pain,are they worth going through all this again.The answer to these questions will determine if they are indeed worth it. The brain has a habit of making us chicken out of what we want to do,mind over matter. If you had these skills before you still have them,it's just a dull pencil now,simply re-sharpen.Practice the moves on a small scale,get a taste for speed again,do you rehab on a regular routine,make sure you are stronger than ever,and remember when falling(which will happen) keep your arms inside the ride at all times(tuck and roll).You have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself,if you choose not to do it,it is because you are not ready,don not beat your self up,the mountain will always be there,tell yourself next time.If you can visualize it then you can do it,if you can't then dream about it,it will happen. Good luck at rebuilding your confidence.

Nov. 6, 2011, 5:51 p.m.

I feel for you, Ive been in your position before. You really just need to sack up and not think about the injury. Sounds cruel but come to grips with it and tell yourself its time to move on. Eventually you will get over it. Im rehabing from a tibial break currently and havnt been cleared to ride by my doctor yet (It should be healed by the end of december hopefully).

nothing special by any means but a bit of inspiration for ya…. I snuck out against doctors orders yesterday for a quick lap

http://vimeo.com/31668127

Nov. 6, 2011, 6:20 p.m.

I can touch on this, and i wanted to ask a similar question when i was going through it( i still am to some extent). After i broke my leg, i progressed. After i broke my collar bone, same but longer. I had two other serious injuries/surgeries after that, real close together. They were not riding injuries. I think at that point, frustration, and the threat of being sidelined bothered me more than the pain of a broken bone. I was sooo stressed about being back in rehab, and on the couch that i thought i would never come back. I sold dirt bikes, mountain bikes, dirt jumpers, snowboards, fight gear. Every thing. I was finished in my mind. With no looking back.
Eventually what Sideshow said started to strengthen my body, and more so, my mind. It came back in tiny pieces. Small victories like moving from physio, back to the gym. Loosing weight that i had put on from inactivity, and the loss of the constant dread of considering being sidelined again. I was taking my life back, and not living some body else's life any more.
Im no where near 100 % physically or mentally, but i can see the change. It took a while and when it happens, those jumps that were old hat will get in your sights again. Only ride with people you trust, that will not push you or try to use negative reinforcement to motivate you. The people who were so stoked just to see me back with them on the trail could give two shits if i hit any thing. I cold have rode a rigid bike and walked every stunt. They did not care.
That helped to.

Good luck, and just wait for it. Dont rush it.

WTF, Over?

Nov. 6, 2011, 6:46 p.m.

absolutely this!

my first ride in 4 months was today (after getting the all clear on Friday) and the last 2 months at the gym definitely helped.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Nov. 6, 2011, 7:10 p.m.

For me, repetition. Even if I had to walk down the entire fucking mountain. Well, I did almost quit altogether my first ride back from injury, but I kept at it. It progressed SLOWLY for me. It didn't help matters that I still wasn't able to move my wrist pain-free.

That said, close to five months after my last injury, today was the first day I nearly rode everything, and the few things I didn't will be slain next weekend.

You will preserver!

Nov. 6, 2011, 7:26 p.m.

Ride smart, ride long.

Nov. 6, 2011, 7:51 p.m.

Don't think about. Your mind will stop you every time…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 6, 2011, 7:55 p.m.

maybe it was because I was younger but after my seperation during Summer Sessions 2000 (which you can watch the crash happen in Pedalfiles) I could not wait to get riding again. It happened at the beginning of the 2000 season and I just worked on it at the gym after 2 weeks, then some light riding after a month, then at the end of Augest I was good to go and ended up winning the Open Men Dual Slalom on Whistler back then. I think it may be all in your head, but you also mentioned that you are at 95% so that may also may be tugging at the brain amking you not push it, be patient it will come back….

mtbskierdad

Nov. 6, 2011, 8:39 p.m.

After I did my arm in (dislocated thumb, fractured ulna and radial head or two them arm bones) I had the same mental block problem. I found working out helped as mentioned but just repeatedly telling myself I can do this and visualizing myself doing it over and over again helped a lot. Also, doing little balance tricks like track stands on a curb helped with the getting the mojo back for skinnies.

Slow and steady [HTML_REMOVED] one thing at a time. I didnt head this advice and almost repated my fracture.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs