Helmets are overrated?

May 18, 2016, 5:56 p.m.

Was just coming down Penzoil and saw a guy traversing down the climber (which is a whole other thread) without a helmet on. We eventually met at the bottom and I asked "no helmet?". His response was "helmets are overrated " and continued on.

I have had one crash in the last year or two but I went HELMET first into a rock. Guaranteed major injury without a helmet but I just got up and carried on.
A crash can happen just as easily on a green as a double black.

Maybe if he is on here he can explain his position?

May 18, 2016, 6:52 p.m.

I've ridden the past 17-18 years without smashing a helmet against the ground so statistically he's probably right. Its just that one time is all that matters. If you are going slow, the less the chance you will hit your head. With speed comes increased chances of smashing your melon.

May 18, 2016, 7:01 p.m.

Its just that one time is all that matters.

Indeed. Head injuries are nasty affairs. In many instances, not only is your life f@*ked, but the loved ones who must now care for you have also had their life paths greatly altered. My vote is for helmets.

May 18, 2016, 7:12 p.m.

Was just coming down Penzoil and saw a guy traversing down the climber (which is a whole other thread) without a helmet on. We eventually met at the bottom and I asked "no helmet?". His response was "helmets are overrated " and continued on.

I have had one crash in the last year or two but I went HELMET first into a rock. Guaranteed major injury without a helmet but I just got up and carried on.
A crash can happen just as easily on a green as a double black.

Maybe if he is on here he can explain his position?

Darwin Award submission right there.

May 18, 2016, 8:09 p.m.

because http://www.howiechong.com/journal/2014/2/bike-helmets ?

Which presents research that says the likelihood of a head injury from cycling is so low that there's no justification to wear helmets (whether or not mtn biking is in the stats or not, don't know)

I wear a helmet on the downs, usually remove it on the ups, but have never hit my head on anything in 20+ years of mtn biking. Lots of other body parts have received the pain tho, and I don't wear armour or braces or other stuff that could protect those areas. So if some dude doesn't want to wear a helmet, fine with me.

May 18, 2016, 8:16 p.m.

from the same article:

There are even some startling statistics that show helmets may have little to negative effects on the incidence of head injuries outside of the cycling world as well. A recent study from the National Ski Areas Association found that, despite a tripling of helmet use among skiers and snowboarders in the United States since 2003, there has been no reduction in the number of snow-sport related fatalities or brain injuries. On the contrary, and 2012 study at the Western Michigan University School of Medicine found an increase in head injuries between 2004 and 2010 despite an increase in helmet use, while a 2013 University of Washington study concluded that snow-sports related head injuries among youths and adolescents increased 250 percent from 1996-2010, a timeframe that also coincides with the increased use of head protection.

May 18, 2016, 8:31 p.m.

This thread is beyond stupid. Howiechung article is a long winded dangerous irresponsible piece of crap.
I have had to retire two helmets in the past year due to hitting my head in low speed awkward bails. Both times I had mild concussion ( one was a super 2r mips) that would have been a traumatic brain injury without the helmet. I would have lost my teeth in one of the crashes.
Snowsports has zero to do with biking.
I f you a ride without a helmet and crash please pay your med bills out of your own pocket as I don't feel I should have to chip in via taxes for your stupidity.

May 18, 2016, 8:43 p.m.

This thread is beyond stupid. Howiechung article is a long winded dangerous irresponsible piece of crap.
I have had to retire two helmets in the past year due to hitting my head in low speed awkward bails. Both times I had mild concussion ( one was a super 2r mips) that would have been a traumatic brain injury without the helmet. I would have lost my teeth in one of the crashes.
I f you a ride without a helmet and crash please pay your med bills out of your own pocket as I don't feel I should have to chip in via taxes for your stupidity.

Word. Crashed (years ago) badly and punched a baseball size hole in the side of my DH helmet. Saved my face, no question. The ER Doc was amazed that the helmet took that impact and protected me as well as it did.

May 18, 2016, 8:45 p.m.

Couldn't agree more. Riding with a buddy last year on treasure trail who took a fairly benign fall and destroyed his brand new helmet. My brother crashed head first into a concrete abutment in his back yard. Helmet completely shattered. In both cases they were fine But most likely would have been seriously messed up if they hadn't been wearing a helmet. That's enough evidence right there to convince me to wear one.

May 18, 2016, 9:06 p.m.

With speed comes increased chances of smashing your melon.

In my experience, most crashes I've had are at low speed, when I'm not paying enough attention to what I'm doing. At high speed, I'm processing everything.

May 18, 2016, 9:25 p.m.

Can't cure stupid.

May 18, 2016, 9:35 p.m.

Thank you.

May 18, 2016, 9:55 p.m.

I have smacked my head twice. I am pro-helmet.

May 18, 2016, 10:30 p.m.

I would say the article isn't stupid and that it also likely isn't including mountain bike riding.

I have no problem with not wearing a helmet riding your bike on the road. Statistically you are likely not to crash. If you do, probably not going to hit your head.

On the mountain bike however…. I have wrecked several helmets. The sport is inherently more risky in respect of falling. Varied terrain, obstacles and rocks everywhere.

May 18, 2016, 11:04 p.m.

conflating mtb and transportation/road riding when thinking about safety is stupid

check out these two slides. this first one is hospitalization rates for cyclists. the y axis is # of injury-related hospitalizations/1,000,000 trips taken by bicycle. the x axis is the percentage of all trips that are made by bicycle

notice how bc, which has the highest rate of cycling transportation activity among canadian provinces, also has by far the highest rate of cycling-injury relate hospitalization? now, notice those words in green across the top: "All causes – includes mountain biking"

this slide shows the same information, but with mtb related riding activity and injury removed:

in this case the provinces aren't indicated - but if you refer to the first slide, it's easy to figure out that bc actually has really low rates of transportation related hospitalizations

include mtb related crashes and injuries and we have the worst safety record in canada. exclude them and we have among the best. ignore the math at your own peril

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave