Hating on Strava

Jan. 19, 2018, 1:49 p.m.

<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">They definitely leave unsanctioned trails up, the vast majority of trails here have a disclaimer to that effect on them. Very few of the trails in the Victoria area are actually sanctioned which muddies the waters significantly as some are unsanctioned but basically accepted and others that are very hush-hush and “should” be kept quiet.</span>

SIMBS manages the adjacent area, no idea who moderates TF for the area. The trails director has privately stated his support for my flagging, no idea if that relates to TF at all.

There are a wide variety of opinions of how to move forward on the west side Mt Work, and the situation is constantly evolving.  Whomever is in charge may not agree with me. 2015 Tashi and 2018 Tashi don’t even agree!

Last edited by: tashi on Jan. 19, 2018, 1:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 19, 2018, 4:32 p.m.

Haven't used it in a while, I mean I get so much kudos daily in real life why do I need to get any more kudos?

Kudos to all on this forum.
Great job!

Jan. 20, 2018, 7:06 a.m.

Posted by: T-mack

All alcohol should be banned because a few people can't handle their booze.

Like you puking in Don's shower

Jan. 20, 2018, 8:49 a.m.

Posted by: Lowcard

Posted by: T-mack

All alcohol should be banned because a few people can't handle their booze.

Like you puking in Don's shower

Perfect example

Jan. 20, 2018, 11:55 a.m.

Posted by: TheWasp

Since last year (I think) Trailforks has the route logging facility so there is no need to use Strava at all. Hard to say if people will swap over though. I still use Strava or my commute but then Trailforks for mountain biking.

Didn't know this and that is good to know.

Jan. 23, 2018, 10:05 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

They definitely leave unsanctioned trails up, the vast majority of trails here have a disclaimer to that effect on them. Very few of the trails in the Victoria area are actually sanctioned which muddies the waters significantly as some are unsanctioned but basically accepted and others that are very hush-hush and “should” be kept quiet.

SIMBS manages the adjacent area, no idea who moderates TF for the area. The trails director has privately stated his support for my flagging, no idea if that relates to TF at all.

There are a wide variety of opinions of how to move forward on the west side Mt Work, and the situation is constantly evolving.  Whomever is in charge may not agree with me. 2015 Tashi and 2018 Tashi don’t even agree!

Get in touch with Trailforks support and explain the situation, they will likely work with you to hide anything contentious. Trevor (creator of TF) is a good dude and active on the Pinkbike TF forum or you can get them via email, they are all mtn bikers and understand this issue very well. The platform has been built to allow trail associations to manage trails in their area so once that is setup you don't even have to rely on TF staff to hide stuff.

For me, I just use Strava as a ride log. I like challenging myself on climbs to beat my previous PR. I honestly don't think it's accurate enough to even care about descent times for most trails in dense forests. And yeah, only assholes cut corners or ride dangerously around hikers/walkers/other bikers in pursuit of times.

Jan. 23, 2018, 11:52 a.m.

Trailforks is great to deal with on contested areas!  They grant local admin rights to recognized trail organizations and they choose what does and doesn't show up on TF.

Strave on the other hand could have a route running through a dinosaur dig site and they'd still leave the tracks up.

Jan. 28, 2018, 7:16 p.m.

LOL

U.S. soldiers are revealing sensitive and dangerous information by jogging http://nationalpost.com/wcm/82e616d1-95af-4e80-b201-e25cc402110e via @nationalpost

Jan. 29, 2018, 6:34 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

LOL

U.S. soldiers are revealing sensitive and dangerous information by jogging http://nationalpost.com/wcm/82e616d1-95af-4e80-b201-e25cc402110e via @nationalpost

Beat me to it. I wonder who has the KOM?

Jan. 31, 2018, 12:23 a.m.

I had a couple come up to me at old buck and asked me if I knew the location of a trail on Seymour and they pulled up a map of the darkside on a superphone, made me want to vomit.

Jan. 31, 2018, 6:33 a.m.

Posted by: seanluge

I had a couple come up to me at old buck and asked me if I knew the location of a trail on Seymour and they pulled up a map of the darkside on a superphone, made me want to vomit.

My buddy actually found a topo map online with every illegal trail with names from Deep Cove all the way to horseshoe bay. He printed off some copies for our bike rooms. Pretty amazing what biking trails are actually known about in the non biking community.

March 5, 2018, 6:21 p.m.

I dislike some of the things that Strava brings to MTBing but I sure am loving it for skate skiing.

Today I found the flyby feature. Super cool! You can see all the people who are using Strava close to you and watch their track versus yours over time. I remember seeing these Strava people pass by me. One of them I can see a photo on their Strava that I watched them take as I went by! 
Cool!

March 6, 2018, 3:17 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I dislike some of the things that Strava brings to MTBing but I sure am loving it for skate skiing.

Today I found the flyby feature. Super cool! You can see all the people who are using Strava close to you and watch their track versus yours over time. I remember seeing these Strava people pass by me. One of them I can see a photo on their Strava that I watched them take as I went by! 
Cool!

Where is this feature? I only have the basic/free Strava but don't see it on the app (iPhone 7).

March 6, 2018, 7:40 p.m.

As far as I know, flybys are only on the web version. They are fun to watch after a ride on a busy day to see how people are moving around the trails.

Last edited by: PaulB on March 6, 2018, 7:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 6, 2018, 9:21 p.m.

Yes only on web version but they’re on the free version too. Super cool.