Great news - Baden Powell connector is to receive some well needed love

March 12, 2015, 7:23 a.m.

Great work. Loved the as it happened updates on the NSMBA facebook newsfeed.

March 12, 2015, 11:01 a.m.

awesome work dudes!

now I will never get a chance to clean the move… Thank god!

)

March 12, 2015, 9:39 p.m.

Sad to see that move go but happy to see things get fixed up.

after a trail hike yesterday with woodro we were talking about a number of things including fixing of eroded sections. in trying to explain why some people get upset and vocal when trails or sections of trail they love riding (that others see as bombed out erosion) get repaired i gave him this analogy.

it's like the tire on your bike, when it's fresh and new you love it and it rides awesome. as it slowly deteriorates and loses it's grip you might notice but it's not all that bad because it's a very gradual change and you adapt. and in some ways it's even fun as the back end might slip and slide around a bit more adding a certain element of excitement. then when it hits the point of being shot you put a new tire on and the change is dramatic, and you're like holy crap, how did i ever ride with that old thing.

trails, erosion and repair are very similar, but in a somewhat reverse way. if you ride a trail on a regular basis, as the trail subtly changes so does your riding and you adapt to the new challenges; often enjoying and appreciating them. then when work gets done, it's a drastic sudden change and you might be like what the hell? what you like doing is gone - somethings now missing from your riding experience and it's been taken away by the evil trail pavers!

the perspective that needs to be taken away though is what is the nature of the trail? what ridership or who does it serve? while i always looked forward to trying to clean that section, it was out of place with the context of the trail and needed to be corrected.

nice job pat and nsmba.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 13, 2015, 8:50 a.m.

after a trail hike yesterday with woodro we were talking about a number of things including fixing of eroded sections. in trying to explain why some people get upset and vocal when trails or sections of trail they love riding (that others see as bombed out erosion) get repaired i gave him this analogy.

it's like the tire on your bike, when it's fresh and new you love it and it rides awesome. as it slowly deteriorates and loses it's grip you might notice but it's not all that bad because it's a very gradual change and you adapt. and in some ways it's even fun as the back end might slip and slide around a bit more adding a certain element of excitement. then when it hits the point of being shot you put a new tire on and the change is dramatic, and you're like holy crap, how did i ever ride with that old thing.

trails, erosion and repair are very similar, but in a somewhat reverse way. if you ride a trail on a regular basis, as the trail subtly changes so does your riding and you adapt to the new challenges; often enjoying and appreciating them. then when work gets done, it's a drastic sudden change and you might be like what the hell? what you like doing is gone - somethings now missing from your riding experience and it's been taken away by the evil trail pavers!

the perspective that needs to be taken away though is what is the nature of the trail? what ridership or who does it serve? while i always looked forward to trying to clean that section, it was out of place with the context of the trail and needed to be corrected.

nice job pat and nsmba.

Continuing with your tire analogy, any new work is just that . . . new. It will settle down, slowly erode a bit and become more challenging. Look at Salamander. When it was new it was 'cruisy', now it has become more settled, some rocks are emerging, the riding has become more interesting.

March 13, 2015, 9:34 a.m.

nice job pat and nsmba.

Nice analogy Syncro. It fits well with trail maintenance and allows for the fact that one eventually has to replace the tire. Even though some people will never see it.

Sustainable will be around forever.

March 16, 2015, 8:06 p.m.

The quality of trailwork that comes from the trailbuilders on the shore is truly unbelievable. You guys blow my mind time and time again.

Thank you.

March 16, 2015, 8:57 p.m.

So I found myself doing Academy Climb laps today. Then I rode out on the rocky chunder that we call Bridal Path. Hands down, dirt is the way to go, and is my preference any day. I’d love to see the Bridal Path get the same treatment. Great job getting some gold back on the trails.

March 17, 2015, 7:54 a.m.

So I found myself doing Academy Climb laps today. Then I rode out on the rocky chunder that we call Bridal Path. Hands down, dirt is the way to go, and is my preference any day. I’d love to see the Bridal Path get the same treatment. Great job getting some gold back on the trails.

Funny I've ridden Bridal on my cross bike - must be those big wheels that smooth it all out :p

March 17, 2015, 10 a.m.

There has been a LOT of trail work done on Bridal the last few years. And all the new trails off it… oh boy… amazing. It's made coming back from Neds much more enjoyable for me. Some of us like a bit of rocky chunder :)

March 17, 2015, 2:48 p.m.

Thanks to whoever is filling in the trail that is 7th secret. Flows mo better now.

Shed head!

March 17, 2015, 7:25 p.m.

Thanks to whoever is filling in the trail that is 7th secret. Flows mo better now.

Good old Peter!

March 18, 2015, 10:13 a.m.

What do you mean "filling in"? I haven't ridden it since September but it was pretty sweet back then.

March 18, 2015, 11:15 a.m.

Get yourself up there! 7th is really a whole new experience with berms, filled in divots, and smoothed out corners.
7th, Leopard, Crinkum - Peter has been doing a lot of work top to bottom!

March 18, 2015, 12:54 p.m.

There has been a LOT of trail work done on Bridal the last few years. And all the new trails off it…

True, but nothing on the east side. Less stunts and new trails on the west side and more erosion work on the east would be nice.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 18, 2015, 1:07 p.m.

Funny I've ridden Bridal on my cross bike - must be those big wheels that smooth it all out :p

Some people are just radder than others.