GRAEME SPRATLEY and ACTIVE MAGAZINE steal pictures

Nov. 28, 2006, 1:06 a.m.

Message here: http://www.leelau.net/2006/activemagazine/activemagazine_posting_singletrack_archived_article_Nov%20272006.htm

"By the way

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 28, 2006, 2:20 a.m.

steal this.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Nov. 28, 2006, 3:06 a.m.

Author: ActiveJimbo
Date: 17/11/06 14:01

Afternoon all! It[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s Jim from Active magazine here.

So much of this post is very amusing and we have had a good time following it on the whole!

That's certainly not to say we condone this kind of thing, or treat it lightly.

We have been, albeit very briefly, in contact with Lee regarding this. He hasn[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t given us the opportunity to discuss it with him, find out details, or indeed discuss any means of resolving the issue before resorting to the schoolboy behaviour we see on this post. Demands have been made and we are looking into them with our lawyers, who we are hoping will not have to resort to libellous and derogatory claims on websites to put across their case! It would be entirely harmless if it weren[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t for the fact that Lee had made the publisher's personal details and address, where his wife also lives, public on various websites - hardly the work of a professional.

We have never come across another issue such as this, and given that we publish two monthly magazines, two national newspaper supplements and various programmes and booklets, it would have been very difficult for us to survive if this was the norm.

Surely the behaviour and attitude of the poster is not in keeping with that of a lawyer? Would you want him to defend you in a court of law after seeing this? Lawyers charge a ludicrous amount of money for their time, I[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;m guessing that Lee isn[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t too busy given that he has so much time on his hands to dedicate to slating the name of the magazine, hardly surprising!

By the way[HTML_REMOVED]#8230;.If anyone would like to submit any pictures for inclusion in the magazine, or subscribe to our new digital version for our re-launch in March, let me know and I[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;ll add you to the mailing list.

Uranus to Graeme Spratley, your head has entered our atmosphere is now reaching terminal velocity.

Nov. 28, 2006, 8:33 a.m.

Hey ActiveJimbo -

In your slamming of Lee, you neglected to mention your thieving actions which instigated all of this. Did you forget about this?

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Nov. 28, 2006, 10 a.m.

Yes ActiveJimbo, explain how if you are an authority on professionalism you condone ripping people off? If things became a little snotty towards you or your publication it's because respect is granted to those who deserve it.

Nov. 28, 2006, 10:10 a.m.

that's all i was asking, i know nothing about this money stuff and photographers and actually sometimes i wonder how they manage it, especially nice web pics which are on many photographers sites.

cory

Cory - good questions. Here's a site where photographers discuss the business aspects of it -http://www.wheelsandwax.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=30

Nov. 28, 2006, 12:39 p.m.

10 pages in this thread , not all friendly ,tough room Lee … a lot less muck slinging over on TT.com ,maybe there are more of our american cousins over there whom aprove less of theft of intelectual property?

If someone is using your pictures to make money then he can use some of it to deal with the consequences

Nov. 28, 2006, 1:02 p.m.

It's ok xxx'er - if I didn't want discussion then I wouldn't have made this public. I'm learning a lot about the attitudes of people towards theft.

Nov. 28, 2006, 1:25 p.m.

hmmm yes it would seem lawyers are never too worried about wading into controversy ,I have noticed it bothers some people (non-lawyers).

Nov. 28, 2006, 2:26 p.m.

I notice nobody likes a lawyer 'til they need one.

www.joemamma.ca
www.intensecycles.com

Nov. 28, 2006, 3:43 p.m.

if this was simply a case of some guy using lee's photo on his own personal website i don't think lee would be so chuffed. but spratley used the photos for a business purpose so some type of permission should have been sought. i'd bet that if this guy had simply asked lee from the get go and said i'll give you a credit in the publication lee probably would have said sure no problem.

what i find amusing in the whole thing is that Spratley and co are crying foul over lee's tactics and can't bring themselves to recognize that they did in fact steal these pictures.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 28, 2006, 3:50 p.m.

bingo ,money was made off of what is alegedly theft (innocent till proven guilty)of intelectual property so if he broke the law he has to pay the piper eh?

lawyers are just people ,I have met good ones, bad ones and of course lawyers who are assholes

but then I have met computer techs, teachers,doctors,preachers who were assholes … why I bet there are even downhill racers who are assholes

Nov. 28, 2006, 4:42 p.m.

if this was simply a case of some guy using lee's photo on his own personal website i don't think lee would be so chuffed. but spratley used the photos for a business purpose so some type of permission should have been sought.

Not only that, but the last couple sentences of the guys post on Singletrack is "buy our magazine". Morals so bad that it's sadly funny.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 28, 2006, 5:56 p.m.

Not to mention all the free publicity they're getting. This is probably the best thing to ever happen to Active Magazine. I don't think anyone had ever heard of it before.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Dec. 29, 2006, 8:57 a.m.

Not to mention all the free publicity they're getting. This is probably the best thing to ever happen to Active Magazine. I don't think anyone had ever heard of it before.

I received the first issue from my new subscription yesterday! This Active Mag some amazing photos in it.

;)