Good stunts and Bad Building Practices

June 21, 2005, 10:34 a.m.

Came across a "drop park" built off in the forest earlier this month. The location isn't important. Let me first say: The stunts in this spot are built well and I'm truly impressed at the sheer volume of effort that went into building them. I love seeing that kind of energy applied to riding. But…

Outside of the stunts, the place looked like crap. The majority of the dirt that was dug up for the spot was taken from one area. It resulted in a huge hole that undercut two live trees. Roots were even hacked off to gain better access to the dirt. The trees are toast and that sucks. Also, there was garbage (food and drink containers…) all over. At first I assumed someone would come back to clean up their crap but its been there for weeks. I packed out a full size garbage bag yesterday. The pile of garbage doesn't look like much in the photo, but it would have just put more fuel on the fire if the wrong person came along.

I fully understand the attraction of building a wiked stunt and riding it or watching someone ride it. It just can't happen like this. The above spot is really close to a trail network that sees some HEAVY use. These are so many runners and hikers that pass through the area, I'm sure it has been found many times. I probably should suggest that there is already a huge network of trails in across the Shore and there shouldn't be so much rogue building. Why not help out the builders who have been at it a while and learn from them? I am however, realistic and will say instead… If you are going to go out an build, do it responsibly - and pack out your shit! There are too many people working too hard to maintain access to the trails. These boards are full of them. Please don't make it look like people like Monica and Ernie have a point!

Happy trails.

"Everybody loves something, even if its just tortillas"

June 21, 2005, 11:02 a.m.

by your description of the area it does not sound like there should be any stunts there, no matter how well they're built.

why do people insist on building crap when we have the trails so close by…

June 21, 2005, 11:08 a.m.

That's not good son

June 21, 2005, 11:56 a.m.

Want to post a sign up there explaining why their new "drop park" is bad?

Stick it up onto a tree which is in obvious view for the builders.

Sober

June 21, 2005, 12:08 p.m.

I know of that place, the builders gave up on it a while ago. You should of seen the amount of trash before there, I packed out two full size garbage bags full. I wouldnt exactly say the building is the best either, I truly hope its torn down.

~NSP~
Hardtail Pride
Join the NSMBA to support your trails!

June 21, 2005, 12:08 p.m.

Unauthorized stunts, poor building practices and garbage = Kids.

First area that comes to mind is the whole section of forest sandwiched between the Hyannis Connector and Bridle Trail.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 21, 2005, 12:14 p.m.

Sadly, I know the idiots that built the trail. Thye gave it up over 3 months ago. I was against it the entire time. Anyone that knows the loc of that trail want to help me dissassemble the stunts and fill in the whole? Maybe the rungs could be salvaged brought to neds or something.

~NSP~
Hardtail Pride

June 21, 2005, 12:34 p.m.

Sadly, I know the idiots that built the trail. Thye gave it up over 3 months ago. I was against it the entire time. Anyone that knows the loc of that trail want to help me dissassemble the stunts and fill in the whole? Maybe the rungs could be salvaged brought to neds or something.

yes, if we're talking in NVan I'd help out. PM me with the details please…

June 21, 2005, 12:40 p.m.

Crap I forgot, I leave on fri for almost a month. I get back on the 20 of July so maybe 3 or 4 people could help me out on the 21st. Post up if your interested. Or if you want to go now I can prob PM you some details. And yah were talking NVAN.

~NSP~
Hardtail Pride

June 21, 2005, 12:53 p.m.

Statix PM'd.

~NSP~
Hardtail Pride

June 21, 2005, 1:33 p.m.

thx, i'm sure i can find this from your descriptions in the PM.

any other do-gooders PM myself for directions …

June 21, 2005, 4:09 p.m.

You guys are wicked. Your keeping the good name to mountain bikers with smart moves like this. Props.

chad

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

June 22, 2005, 12:45 a.m.

PM sent. If it's anywhere near where I think it is, I could use the wood for some repairs and maintenance on a couple of the sanctioned trails in that area.

Thanks for cleaning up the area. :)

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells